2.5D platform

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Wanting to do a Shot n Run game easily? Here is your chance!
  • So while I was snooping around the net for any kind of answer to my sorting problem, I read an article that said one of the best ways to do it is with a double linked list or something.

Now I am just an average guy, what the hell is a double linked list?! lol, I tried reading about it on wiki but it was obviously written by someone a lot smarter than me.

Long question short, does anyone here know if a double linked list would be the answer to this sorting problem and if it's even possible in construct?

• A doubly linked list is a programming structure. You won't be able to make an equivalent in events - Construct hides all those details from you.

• Double linked? It wraps both ways - the start and the end are basically connected, if you go over the end, you end up at the start, if you go back from the start, again you find yourself at the end of list.

At least so I believe.

• Double linked? It wraps both ways - the start and the end are basically connected, if you go over the end, you end up at the start, if you go back from the start, again you find yourself at the end of list.

No, that's a circularly linked list. A doubly linked list, in programming, means each element holds a pointer to both the next and previous elements in the list, so you can travel either way.

• Ah, my bad. .prev and .next stuff, then...

• A doubly linked list is a programming structure. You won't be able to make an equivalent in events - Construct hides all those details from you.

Aw drag. Will we ever find a solution I wonder?.....

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • you can go around double-linked lists using an array.

Can you link to this article? I'd like to see what they need that for.

• This isn't the same webpage I found it on, but it IS the same article

http://www.cpp-home.com/tutorials/47_1.htm

Unfortunately, just as he's getting to the good stuff, he just kinda stops?

Looks imcomplete to me, that's why I asked on the forums here, in case anybody knew if it would help.

P.S. Someone is gonna have to fill me in on arrays and hash tables or whatever they're called, they sound like they could be quite useful but I have no idea how to use them or what situation they'd be good for, but please Arcticus, STAY ON TOPIC!

• Hm. I woudln't guide myself by that article. All that it explains in detail is how to do a tiled background scoll, and skims over all the important parts. Maybe they're detailed in other parts but anyway. You don't need any of that in Construct, as that structure is meant to organize objects and Construct already does that for you.

BTW I got a new sorting method and it's looking good so far. Got to do some more tests.

http://octavoarte.cl/25d_concept.exe

By now I should edit the first post and put this URL there, as I've been updating the same exe for a while already.

• Yes please please please tell me how you did it

• I just sort by the distance of the front bottom edge of each object towards the origin of the scene.

Slopes don't get sorted right and I'm unsure they ever will. Maybe I should just ditch them. Slope movement is achieved by changing the evaluated height (w) of a platform by the distance from the platform hotspot (dx) multiplicated by a slope factor (dwdx), so w=dx * dwdx

Since I'm rather happy with the sorting now (not perfect but works for certain object sizes), I added some other stuff. Jump is now uncontrollable on air, I guess this should be a toggle. There's a moving platform and the bridge pieces accelerate upwards while you're standing on them.

All of this is to show what can be done here =)

Same file location as always. http://octavoarte.cl/25d_concept.exe

Make sure to refresh your browser cache if you seem to be getting an old file.

• The one thing that makes this really hard to use is there's no visual cues for distance. Would it be hard to make the character get smaller as he goes further away?

• not hard but it would break almost everything, I think.

I guess I should give it a try, even though proper shadows (not the hack presented here) would give a proper depth cue, and the demo is much more controllable when you can change direction and speed mid-air.

• Im loving those floating platforms!

I managed to get them all going at the same time, and hopping between them, I managed to get pretty high in the air

• Oh Jesus I gotta stop clicking on this thread.

II'll be up until 5am every night tearing my goddamned eyes out because it should be easy to do but it's NOT, IT'S THE MOST #$*&# DIFFICULT THING IN THE WORLD WHY WHY WHY P

ROFL

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)