"Write Text" and speed...

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Have you ever dreamed of playing in a Speedball game or tournament?
  • You can determine what speed you want text to write itself before it is written, but would it be possible to add a "set write speed" so that it could be sped up while it is writing?

I was hoping that I could make it so that players could hold down a key to speed it up, and on 'key release' make it return to the normal pace. Right now it seems that if you want to change the speed the only option you have is to make the player choose at the beginning of the game whether they want text to go fast or slow.

-thanks!

• You may as well make your own text-writing, using the left() expression.

• You may as well make your own text-writing, using the left() expression.

Yeah, I made a pretty simple .cap a while ago using your advice. I was kind of hoping that I wouldn't have to have an event for every single letter, though.

Oh well. Better than nothing, I suppose.

• Why would you need an event for every single letter? Just increase the number parameter to left()...

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • You don't have to make an event for each letter. Make a variable to control how many characters are shown, and make two events like this:

if key is not down

• add to variable ('charactersshown') 10*timedelta
    • set text to left("write text to show here", variable('charactersshown'))

If key is down

• add to variable ('charactersshown') 20*timedelta
    • set text to left("write text to show here", variable('charactersshown'))

That should increase the number of characters shown automatically, all in two events.

Edit: Ashley beat me to it, but I might as well post anyway.

• If we had a rating system, I'd rate you up for using timedelta

• Thank you Arima, Ashley!

I was trying to do things the hard way because I thought that you had to do;

Left("This is a test.",1)

and then

Left("This is a test.",2)

and so forth.

I'm really terrible at coding but every little bit that I can learn from you guys is a BIG help.

• Yea if you search enough through "Uploads" forum there are a few examples of this.

• I've added 'Set Write Speed' and 'Get Write Speed' for the next build to make this easier. Also a 'Write Finished' condition.

• I've added 'Set Write Speed' and 'Get Write Speed' for the next build to make this easier. Also a 'Write Finished' condition.

You are teh awesome.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)