Why not OpenGL?

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
0 favourites
From the Asset Store
2D fighting template based in the game that defined the fighting games genre.
  • Although Direct-X is what's been written, don't forget that there is an SDL renderer in the works, which supports OpenGL very easily.

Yeah i heard about that, is there any news about it at all? Would it work like we export it to a sdl runtime or something from within construct?

• It's done when it's done, and yeah, you'd select it from the runtimes list.

For the record, it's probably Crysis itself that sucks up all your resources, not necessarily DirectX itself. Remember OpenGL and DirectX are both just interfaces to the same hardware.

• It's done when it's done, and yeah, you'd select it from the runtimes list.

For the record, it's probably Crysis itself that sucks up all your resources, not necessarily DirectX itself. Remember OpenGL and DirectX are both just interfaces to the same hardware.

Well that should keep others quiet about OpenGL being crappier

And fair enough on the done when done thing heh.

• > It's done when it's done, and yeah, you'd select it from the runtimes list.

>

> For the record, it's probably Crysis itself that sucks up all your resources, not necessarily DirectX itself. Remember OpenGL and DirectX are both just interfaces to the same hardware.

>

Well that should keep others quiet about OpenGL being crappier

And fair enough on the done when done thing heh.

I never said it was crappy... Rich basically reitterated exactly what I said. OpenGL is fine... nothing wrong with it, it's just 10x harder to make the same stuff with it as you can do with DirectX. It is also a lot harder to optimise properly which is why the doom engine ran so badly at the time... I never said OpenGL was crappy though.

Anyway, as stated already... OpenGL may be supported at a later date if necessary, and hopefully if Ash has time that will be the case because it would be nice to expand the platforms that Construct could run on.

• ...it would be nice to expand the platforms that Construct could run on.

I would like Construct to run on my Commodore 64, this is not an unreasonable request.

MAKE IT SO

• Sorry to say deadeye, but even my overclocked Apple II struggles with more than 2 layers

• Okay you two just got lame now.

• LOLLERSKATES! Deadeye

• You guys are just plainm being asses now, my post talking about linux and opengl is not unreasonable, do you guys really think your funny poking fun at us?

• You guys are just plainm being asses now, my post talking about linux and opengl is not unreasonable, do you guys really think your funny poking fun at us?

No... but you have to admit Deadeye's comment was full of win. We get what you are saying and it is a legitimate topic of discussion, but he was just making a joke... I think it would be really cool for Construct to eventually support DirectX, but all we are saying is it's a lot of work to cater for an additional minority audience. If OpenGL wasn't so horrible to work with then it wouldn't be a big deal I guess.

• I get what you are saying, but it is no reason for people to come back with comments like his poking fun at me and others who like the idea of it. It's that childish like attitude that brings down so many communities.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I get what you are saying, but it is no reason for people to come back with comments like his poking fun at me and others who like the idea of it. It's that childish like attitude that brings down so many communities.

His comment was a joke, and not aimed at making fun of anyone. The fact someone has independently implemented SDL and Ashley wishes to continue it is a clear indicator of the interest in multi-platform gaming. Most of the people on this board agree that it'd be great to expand the platforms Construct can create for.

• > I get what you are saying, but it is no reason for people to come back with comments like his poking fun at me and others who like the idea of it. It's that childish like attitude that brings down so many communities.

>

His comment was a joke, and not aimed at making fun of anyone. The fact someone has independently implemented SDL and Ashley wishes to continue it is a clear indicator of the interest in multi-platform gaming. Most of the people on this board agree that it'd be great to expand the platforms Construct can create for.

I guess i just need to chill out a bit really, it just annoys me a bit when someones jokes like that i guess i just have strong views on Linux.

• Eventually this will be extremely useful... MacOSX is gaining quite a bit of market share these days, and this would allow our games to be ported easily to OSX, Linux, and whatever else is out there... I noticed that many mobile devices support some form of OpenGL so that would be something to look into...

Now, the OpenGL3 spec will be really interesting once it's completed... It would allow "DirectX 10" effects and features to be usable on Windows XP and the other OS's. There are people who got Geforce 8 series cards on WinXP and this will really be cool for them... (most are waiting for Windows 7...)

I'm not making fun of you at all. I'm just making a joke. No need to take things personally.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)