Split Screen

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Is a circular loading screen with code ready to use. No Animation.
  • It's been awhile since one Shviller's very first threads...

How are the plans going to allow for a split screen game? I think Ash mentioned something about a layout in a layout or something to that effect.

Keen to hear more back on this as I have a use for a split screen "object" already.

~Sol

• Instead of thinking in terms of "split screen", how about you think in terms of "two cameras"? Suddenly it becomes so much easier to develop!

• Yeah I guess same thing, different terminology... but yeah... being able to track two (or more) seperate objects on a single layout using a port view for each object/camera.

This would allow for some cool co-op style games, or even being able to do things like track an NPC target using a "viewfinder"... that kind of thing. Even racing games with scrolling layouts for massive track designs would be cool since players would be able to manouver around the track without having to resort to some of the oldschool tactics of appling penalties to the player who is lagging behind, and teleporting them forwards in order to maintain the single screen layout. (If that made any sense at all... I've had 3 hours of sleep so I'm probably not making much)

~Sol

• the temporary workaround would be to make everything invisible

make 2 halfscreen canvases

then 'always'

move camera to pointA, paste everything to canvas1

move camera to pointB,paste everything to canvas 2

• the temporary workaround would be to make everything invisible

make 2 halfscreen canvases

then 'always'

move camera to pointA, paste everything to canvas1

move camera to pointB,paste everything to canvas 2

You sir, are a genius... but then again you already knew that.

~Sol

• i remember this was one of my very first requests when i joined here.

it was possible using the viewport extension from mmf2, still waiting on the construct version of that object after a year lol

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • You sir, are a genius... but then again you already knew that.

thank you, no, actually I didn't know that. that feature should come in handy on my current project

here's an example of the canvas split screen in action:

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/1013446/splitscreen.cap(994)

and for those who don't have 994:

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/1013446/canvassplitscreen.exe

wsad controls boy

arrow keys controls girl

• Lucid I think I love you.

You ARE a genius, you should put that in your resume: "Qualifications: genius"

Now I can pursue my evil splitscreen ideas, which were almost discarded

Would it be possible to use just one screen-sized canvas and clip with a mask before pasting? does the way mask and canvas work allow that?

• here's an example of the canvas split screen in action:

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/1013446/splitscreen.cap(994)

and for those who don't have 994:

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/1013446/canvassplitscreen.exe

That's hella tight

• this is indeed very cool, but its not really a substitute for a full fledged "camera" object because it doesn't take into account things like parallax and 3d effects (box, distortion) which are based on the scroll position of an INDIVIDUAL viewpoint. these things would have to be re rendered for each camera.

of course with lucid s method you could solve this by moving the scroll to that position, pasting everything, ect for each viewpoint, but i dont think paralax and 3d things can be pasted properly (besides 3dbox) and im not sure the effects like that would update before frame drawing in the event phase. meaning things would be alot more complicated than simply having a nice object to do it for you, which is kinda what construct is supposed to be about, elegance and simplicity in game creation. so that you don't need to always fumble around and do multiple steps for things which should only take 1. another thing which would be cool to have in a camera object is for it to be able to rotate and move along XYZ, but that might be asking too much

• Yes a proper plugin/addon would still be really awesome to have, but until then lucid's "hack" idea will work well, and suffice needless to say for projects that are leaning toward simple.

Thanks a lot for the example lucid

Now, to use my phone to call David, and get him to make a proper split screen viewport object.

~Sol

• proper split screen viewport object.

for me this means camera object with clip region, so you can have, say, 3 way split screen with triangular shape or whatever.

• you could just do that with layer effects

• A camera viewport that could be made into any shape would be super awesome.

Making things like sniper scopes, or three way splits, or other non-typical uses would be a lot easier, and also allow for more felixibility.

~Sol

• A camera viewport that could be made into any shape would be super awesome.

Making things like sniper scopes, or three way splits, or other non-typical uses would be a lot easier, and also allow for more felixibility.

~Sol

Seconded. This'd be really useful. Also, it'd be great if we'd have an easier way to temporarily switch to layout X and then back again.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)