Platform behavior, is being crushed condition

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Wanting to do a Shot n Run game easily? Here is your chance!
  • something you see in most platformers is being "crushed" by moving solid objects, when pinned up against another solid object. be it a block falling on you or being between 2 blocks when they close up a gap.

i think it would be a great feature for the default platform behavior if you could check for this.

• I like that idea.

if player is being crushed...kill him, or hurt him, or maybe stat a minigame where he has to push back against the walls. I could picture Cratos doing that.

• You can do this already, but it takes a buttload of detectors and other messy stuff. It would be a nice feature to have if it was possible to implement easily enough.

~Sol

• You can do this already, but it takes a buttload of detectors and other messy stuff. It would be a nice feature to have if it was possible to implement easily enough.

~Sol

What detectors? Step into the world of Overlapping at Offset, my friend.

Also, the platform object has conditions for Has Wall on Left/Right, Ceiling is Above, and On Ground... so yeah, you can make your own crushing events pretty easily. Either just stop the solids from moving when they hit, or destroy your platform object when it's crushed, so it doesn't teleport out of the solid due to intersecting.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • What detectors? Step into the world of Overlapping at Offset, my friend.

But.... but... I like my detectorers

I will miss you little guys *waves*

BAAAWWWWWW!

~Sol

• Hey deadeye, could you elaborate a bit more for me on the crushing event? I am in the classic scenario when the ceiling is coming down and the floor is coming up and you are stuck in between.

Currently i just deal with the teleporting problem you mentioned as a temporary glitch. I think i can keep it from happening, i am just not sure how. I also have the same problem when my player is crouched and enters a lower area. If you release crouch then you teleport to the nearest solid play area. Its actually kind of neat, but it can be unpredictable.

I would like to give the player a bit of give as the ceiling closes in, say 10px smaller than their bounding box. Then, after that point the player is crushed and killed. I like to find a way to go off of the player box so that i can allow the player to crouch in really tight situations, but still be crushed while crouched.

Anyway, any other input would be very useful!

Nate

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)