Omnidirectional Blur Mask

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
  • Currently I have to apply both horizontal and vertical blur masks to get an omnidirectional effect.

Is this just as efficient as an omnidirectional blur mask would be as a single effect?

I maybe didn't need to post this here until finding that out, but you're welcome to delete the thread if it makes no difference.

• Tah-dah!

Omni Directional Blur

During my one and only FPS test, the omnidirectional blur squeezed 30+ extra FPS out of it. For reference, the framerates were about 145 with omni-direction blur and 110 with the two blurs applied, so it's a pretty good performance gain.

• Nice! I didn't expect that much of a boost!?

Hope Ashley can add this to the next build (i'm sure you don't mind).

Thanks again

EDIT: This is still helpful, but it doesn't seem to work as a mask. That was the part I needed most. Is it possible to apply as a blur mask?

• I tried editing the BlurMask myself and ended up with a diagnal blurmask lol

I'm not a programmer so I just was poking around at the files. Maybe linkman can fix it? Hehe.

http://www.fileshack.us/get_file.php?id=819091&file=Omni_Blur_Mask.fx

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I tried editing the BlurMask myself and ended up with a diagnal blurmask lol

I'm not a programmer so I just was poking around at the files. Maybe linkman can fix it? Hehe.

http://www.fileshack.us/get_file.php?id=819091&file=Omni_Blur_Mask.fx

Blah, I forgot that you wanted a blurmask. Not like it much matters, I can't seem to get anything but a diagonal blur, either. I've been messing around with it for the better part of two hours now, but I can't seem to get anything other than that, running into errors whenever I try something new. I think one of the devs would have to look at it, since they have more shader writing experience.

• Regardless, I appreciate the effort so thank you for that! Ashley will fix it one way or another because I believe he said there were plans to improve the blur masks performance.

I don't mind adding both, I just was hoping for a performance increase

• Blur horizontal and blur vertical is, I think, exactly the same amount of pixel shader processing - the only difference is you need an intermediate step (a copy) when using two shaders instead of one. With one effect you don't need an extra copy, so it may be a little faster. Modern graphics cards can do simple copies in negligable time, however, so if it is much of an overhead today, in future it won't be.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)