My ongoing list

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Template for scrollable list, fully documented in comment and video
  • 57) This is an important one: I currently use two canvas objects for some post processing effects for Sein. The problem is that those canvas objects don't dynamically scale based on the resolution of the application, so if you set the app to any other resolution, the canvas object will just stay in place.

So it'd be cool if we could have a 'fill layout' option, so that if that checkbox is marked in an object, Construct automatically sets the resolution of that object to the resolution of the project / layout.

I also need this for tiled backgrounds. I often times just slap a single color on top of everything and use blending modes to push the colors into the right direction.

• 57) This is an important one: I currently use two canvas objects for some post processing effects for Sein. The problem is that those canvas objects don't dynamically scale based on the resolution of the application, so if you set the app to any other resolution, the canvas object will just stay in place.

So it'd be cool if we could have a 'fill layout' option, so that if that checkbox is marked in an object, Construct automatically sets the resolution of that object to the resolution of the project / layout.

I also need this for tiled backgrounds. I often times just slap a single color on top of everything and use blending modes to push the colors into the right direction.

The canvas issue can be solved by having:

+Start of layout
    -Canvas width = layoutwidth
    -Canvas height = layoutheight
    [/code:2du6na9u]

Pretty sure you can so the same with tiled backgrounds too.

~Sol
  • This is easy enough to do with events.

just use canvas start of layout set height/width to layout height/width.

• Oh, awesome, thanks guys!

• besides in the may update

[quote:18rmp2zh]The road to 1.0

The next major build release of Construct will be 1.0. We have now implemented all the features we want for 1.0, and until then, we will focus solely on bug fixes. There are around 150 open items on the tracker, and through the 0.99 minor releases (.2, .3, .4...) we will aim to get these as close to 0 as possible. Once we're satisfied with the bug fixes, we'll release version 1.0!

• This is more of a log for stuff that I find out during development. It doesn't have to be in 1.0, so no problemo

• The canvas issue can be solved by having:

CODE: SELECT ALL

+Start of layout

-Canvas width = layoutwidth

-Canvas height = layoutheight

just use canvas start of layout set height/width to layout height/width.

This is actually a very bad idea. Having a canvas the size of the layout is ridiculous. Levels are usually way bigger than 2056x2056 (especially in the case of thomas mahlers overly demanding game), and canvases larger than 2056 in any direction results in VRAM death.

A better idea would be to set the canvases to display height/width, but with resolutions larger than 1024 x anything, the game would probably be unplayable due to low fps (although i noticed my 8300 GS supports render targets with different than power of 2 textures, but that's not the case with most computers i believe.). 2 full screen canvases is generally a bad idea, it would really hurt the fps during gameplay.

• I tested the current version (which uses 2 canvas objects) on a couple of machines and I do have to make that trade-off... Like, it still works very well on any 2-3 year old desktop machine and it works well on powerful Notebooks (like the Macbook Pro), but if you have an integrated intel gpu, you're literally screwed, means: you'll get between 10-20 fps.

The current version of Sein isn't optimized yet either, I'm pretty sure I'll get more performance from actually optimizing the graphics, shaders that are being used, etc., but I don't really think I'll get to steady 30fps for people with really old machines or really crappy GPUs.

On the other hand, Braid isn't working well on low level machines either and only supports 2 resolutions, so I don't think people care that much. As long as one resolution is an HD standard and the other one is a monitor standard it should be good to go.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • 58) I'm currently re-structuring the way I deal with story - and it'd be very cool if we'd have a 'trigger once ever' condition.

Right now, it's easy to set up text so that it only appears during a layout, but I have to deal with hash tables or global variables if I want text to only appear once during the whole runtime, which is a bit convoluted.

• 59) Being able to copy a whole layout without screwing up the project would be cool

• 58) I'm currently re-structuring the way I deal with story - and it'd be very cool if we'd have a 'trigger once ever' condition.

Right now, it's easy to set up text so that it only appears during a layout, but I have to deal with hash tables or global variables if I want text to only appear once during the whole runtime, which is a bit convoluted.

• 59) Being able to copy a whole layout without screwing up the project would be cool

You can copy a whole layout easily, if you're using build 98.9. Right click, clone layout.

• Okay, then it's just 99.3 that fucks this up. If I CTRL click drag a layout right now it seems to work at first, but a whole lot of shit is going on underneath. It fucks up the layout ordering and stuff. It's just not pretty.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)