My ongoing list

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Template for scrollable list, fully documented in comment and video
  • The rotate behavior's speed is a float, so you should be able to give it a decimal value.

• The rotate behavior's speed is a float, so you should be able to give it a decimal value.

If I set the speed to 0.3, the value automatically jumps to 0 and the object won't rotate at all. If I set it to 1 it rotates, but it's a tad too fast.

• So set it with an event.

• You're right, the code was defaulting it to an integer, it's been fixed for the next build.

• 22) Option to include objects set to 'global' when I only run the layout.

Say I only want to use one audio object and only one keyboard object - If I then 'run layout' (to just test the second level), the objects that were used in a global way won't work anymore. The 'audio' object won't play music and the controls set for the keyboard object won't work. Yikes!

This is done for the next build (automatically).

• 23) The Layout system is a little weird.

I'm currently working on an in-game menu, where you can see your stats, inventory and stuff. Pretty simple, the events are:

On 'Menu' pressed : System - go to layout 4 + System: Set global variable 'Menu' to 1

I used Go to Layout and I have to use a number - which is kinda weird, cause if I create an inventory I'll probably just create a layout called 'Inventory' and wanna use 'Inventory' in the 'Go to layout' command and not a number that doesn't even display anywhere

On 'Menu' pressed + Is global variable 'Menu' equal to 1 : System: Return to previous layout + System: Set global variable 'Menu' to 0

The problem is that 'Return to previous layout' doesn't go to the 'previous' layout, but to the layout one number ahead of the 'menu' layout. So my 'menu' is on 4 and if I invoke this event it goes to event 3 - And not back to the previous layout.

So, wouldn't it be cool if we would have a system command that'd say: "Temporarily go to Layout 'String'"?

So we could have an event that'd temporarily change layouts. And in those temporary layouts, we could set things up so it switches back to the 'previous layout' when another event occures. For a menu, it'd be if the player presses the 'menu' button again.

This'd be perfect for stuff like an inventory and for cutscenes / timeline events. Or is there a smarter way to do this right now?

• Hmm, maybe that should just be called "Go back one layout", it just goes to the previous layout, it doesn't remember and restore the layout...

• Yeah, that's why it'd be cool to have a system where we could just temporarily hop into a layout, use that layout to make changes or see a cutscene and then invoke an event to hop back to where we were.

• 24) For the platform behavior, wouldn't it be cool if we'd have the option to freeze the players position temporarily? So for cutscenes, we'd not have to use a couple of actions, but just this one. It'd freeze the players position to where he's currently standing and once the cutscene is over, we'd use an 'unfreeze players position' action.

Simple.

Would also be useful for dialogs, etc.

• There's a "Set activated" action for objects with the platform behavior. That freezes all movement. Or, you could ignore user input if you just want the player to be unable to move the character.

• #24 - Would 'Start Ignoring Input' do the job?

So, as soon as the cutscene is activited, the ignore input action is executed, then the end of the cutscene (e.g. Timeline) could activate input again. That way you could make the player ignore input, but still be able to press a control to skip/speed up the cutscene.

• Yeah, that's why it'd be cool to have a system where we could just temporarily hop into a layout, use that layout to make changes or see a cutscene and then invoke an event to hop back to where we were.

You could store the current layout into a global then jump back to that.

As it is now, it lets you roll your own layout changing logic

• Thanks for the advice guys. I haven't yet found the perfect way for starting, advancing (like, making it faster by pressing a button) and ending dialogue, but I'll write up the solution once I got it.

25) What I'm thinking right now, reading the other thread about the text object...

Wouldn't it be cool if we'd have a couple more options in it? Like, imagine your typical adventure game. Right now, I invoke dialogue like everyone else I guess.

If character overlaps another character and keys is pressed - make text fields visible, write text: "Blabla" at 1 letter per 30ms

Now, firstly:

what if my character has multiple dialog boxes?

Wouldn't it be a lot better if we'd extend the parameters dialog box for the write text action so that we could:

a) have bigger dialogues - right now, it's sorta constrained to 2 lines, which is a bit limiting, so the dialogue field should adjust to the text I put into them.

b) have an option to add multiple text fields into one 'write text' action - same thing as with the timeline. So we could have a simple event with a single 'write text' action and the character could still tell me a whole story, spanning multiple dialog boxes?

c) Couldn't we somehow add a 'is finished?' option to the Text Object? Also, it'd be cool if we could have an option so that we could automatically change the '1 letter per XX ms' option. So we could set it globally: If global variable 'Dialogue' is 1 and action button is pressed: Set Write Speed to 90ms (default would be 30). Then we could add a: If text is finished and action button is pressed - either go to next dialogue box or if there isn't one, finish dialogue.

I know I haven't completely thought it through at the moment, but maybe it'll still help. Try to follow me here, my way of setting a dialogue up would be like that:

a) Character overlaps another character.

b) Character presses the action button to start the dialogue. The dialogue consists of two dialogue boxes.

b.2) Character can press the action button again to speed up the write speed.

c) Dialogue 1 is finished - Character presses the action button to start the next dialogue box.

d) Dialogue 2 is finished - Character pressed the action button to complete dialogue.

So if we could set this directly in the WriteText action, it'd be awesome. We could set a characters dialogue with multiple dialogue boxes and add a: "At the completion of the previous Dialogue Box, send a 'is finished' call." at the bottom, so we could set a: If Write Text is finished and player presses the action button, set global variable dialogue to 0.

And with the global variable 'Dialogue' we could set it to display Text Boxes if it's set to 1 and kill them if it's set to 0.

I'm a bit tired right now and I know that I haven't thought it through completely, but I hope that made sense. It's a bit of a pain right now to organize dialogues and it'd be cool if that could be simplified and streamlined. Dialogue is freaking important for a lot of genres.

• 26) Could we also get an update for the progress bar? So that we could set our own graphics for it?

Say, we wanna have an experience bar or a health bar for enemies. Typically, you'd have a left side of the bar and a right side of the bar - and then you'd have a graphic that'd scale from 0% to 100% or vice versa based on values that are based on what the player does. Could be as simple as a 1px black line that scales form 0% of the bar to 100% based on the exp the player collects.

Right now, I can't even change the color of the inside bar. That'd be a cool thing to have.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • 26) Could we also get an update for the progress bar? So that we could set our own graphics for it?

Say, we wanna have an experience bar or a health bar for enemies. Typically, you'd have a left side of the bar and a right side of the bar - and then you'd have a graphic that'd scale from 0% to 100% or vice versa based on values that are based on what the player does. Could be as simple as a 1px black line that scales form 0% of the bar to 100% based on the exp the player collects.

Right now, I can't even change the color of the inside bar. That'd be a cool thing to have.

You could use the tiled background for this. Just have the width set to whatever value you need a bar for.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)