Learning?

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
0 favourites
  • I want to create an RPG. So, I'm wonder if Python is the best route for this. I want to create something similar tot he Tales of Series LMBS battle system or Grandia's battle system. Also, where is a good place to learn Python.

• You should be able to do just fine without Python using the built in events sytem. I'd get started with the Ghost Shooter tutorial in the Learn section to get you familiar with events.

• So, I should be able to do something link this without Python?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7hQTTgtlaAM

I've used MMF/MMF2 so, the event system seems similar.

• Yeah, you can pretty much code anything with events. If you're planning a project that large though, you might want to wait until the 1.0 release.

• i dont get why noobs jump to think that python is needed for something complex, they can barely do event based programming and just assume it would be easier to make a game using an even more difficult method. heck they can barely make a custom plat movement and want to make a super epic RPG, gets me so MAD!

• i dont get why noobs jump to think that python is needed for something complex, they can barely do event based programming and just assume it would be easier to make a game using an even more difficult method. heck they can barely make a custom plat movement and want to make a super epic RPG, gets me so MAD!

Whoa

• There are people who cope with code much better than with events. Relax .

Lol.

• lol, just pointing something out, cause i see it way 2 often, im not addressing specifically azu, as i dont know much about his skill, but in general i see this often, especially in real life, and i thought this place would be a good area to say my opinion, as something similar is happening. srry if i seemed a little touretsish, i myself cant code, but ppl have to realise its not easy, you gotta learn the coding system, which takes long, every code structure is different, and it doesnt make game making any easier.

• Lol, I find making event based "code" hard enough at times... trying to make something by typing stuff would be impossible, for me at least. I did a little Visual Basic database stuff, and some real simple games... oh, and a visual "comic book" with an interface... but there is no way in hell I would be able to make collision detection, or interface with DirectX etc etc etc.

~Sol

• I cope so much better with code now. After I learned a fair amount of Torquescript events feel so limited to me, probably because it gives me a list of things I can do but because I'm implementing Torque in a game with undocumented functions, I find new things every time I make something.

Hell, I went back and redid my very first project yesterday, and actually halved its filesize.

• Lol, I came in here to ask the exact same question. I'm looking for a way to do scripting with Construct. It's much, much easier to do so with code than with events. It lets me see like 20 times as much code in one "page", rather than having to scroll several lines to find a bug.

So, yeah, I want to do a super game about killer robots, X-Com style. Anyone have any examples of scripting in Construct? I learned Lua from examples, rather than documentation, so I'd rather learn it from examples here too

• Python scripting is broke.

You can do some python scripts in construct but there is no way to itterate over lists of objects. You can't access all "Objects" of a certain kind in Python.

Missing python features are:

Iterate over collections of "Objects" like:

for spr in Sprite:

do something with sprite

And if you could use python in the action part of events it would be nice to be able to access picked instances. So something like this:

for instance in Picked:

do something with that instance

----------------------------------

So python is broke. Unfortunately so are the loops in the event system. So for now I am just waiting and oberving the progress of Construct. I still think it shows much prommise.

• Python should be fixed up better in the next release.

Unfortunately so are the loops in the event system.

They work fine for me and I use them all the time. Have you submitted any bugs to the tracker?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Yes! next release..

I'm looking forward to integrating some ibraries with construct.. lol

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)