Our site's starting to show its age, and since the project has come a long way, our needs for the site have changed too. We're inviting you to redesign the main site located at http://www.scirra.com.
The original site was basically modifications of a single template, but we'd like something better than that now, so we're asking for a full website design. We'll be approaching 1.0 soon after the 0.99 release, so it'd be nice to have a new site by then (that's probably several months though). Also, no need for any coding - we're happy with a static site still - so no worries about PHP, ASP or any of that.
Here's a summary of the sections we think we'd like:
- Key things to mention: Construct is a free, open-source game creator with drag+drop/no programming, developed by volunteers.
- Logo (you could also have a shot at redesigning it if you want, or talk to David to get the logo in new formats)
- Hi-res images
- Some key features advertised
- Clear download link to latest stable build. Maybe a link to forums too
- Latest news
Lots of features to advertise: the Unity3D site does this really well with a grid. Something which can feature all the important things like that. Sub-pages for each individual feature with lots of images and description.
We'll come up with a wide variety of screenshots, much more than what's currently on offer.
List of Construct-made games and applications. We'll try and get some real games instead of tech demos listed there, with links to creator's sites. Should feature colourful screenshots and game features.
Prominently display the latest stable release to download. Somewhere less obvious have the latest unstable build linked, but make it dead simple for a visitor in a rush to click the stable one.
The old 'Learn Construct' section, with clear listing of all available resources, tutorials, wiki documentation, etc.
Links to forums, the phpBB chat, and other Construct related sites.
- A 'Get involved' section. "Find out how you can help the Construct project". Things like encouraging plugin development, bug reporting, writing documentation, promoting and publicising, tutorial writing, making games for the creations page, mentioning you made your games with Construct, etc.
- A bug reporting section with information on the tracker, how to submit, etc.
- A section with information on how Construct is developed, the codebase, CVS, plugin SDK, technical documentation and so on. Link to the sourceforge page here.
Who's on the team and some contact information.
We'll be happy to have the designer's name and website link in the footer as we currently have. Sadly, though, being a free open source project, we can't offer a full payment for the work involved, but we can offer a token sum to show our appreciation, paid from the Scirra donations fund.
First of all, I think it's best if we start off with some mockups. If you're interested, come up with some screenshots of some of the site pages to give us a feel for the look, or upload some mockup pages. Then everyone can give their comments, feedback, what they like/don't like etc here in this thread. Also, if you think we need some different pages or changes to the site structure, get your thoughts in now!
Some sites we like, for your inspiration:
Visual Studio 2010 on Microsoft.com - beautiful layout & images.
Unity3D.com - Great site which really sells the product, and looks appealing too.
nVidia - another well done site, but unlike the front page, we don't really want any Flash on the site.
Thanks for any input!