Directsound status

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
0 favourites
  • It is rather annoying that a company as big as Microsoft would be as silly as to break support for such a widely used API, but nonetheless this new plugin will be excellent have more features than DS .

• It is rather annoying that a company as big as Microsoft would be as silly as to break support for such a widely used API, but nonetheless this new plugin will be excellent have more features than DS .

LOL Rich... are you for serious? That's EXACTLY like Microsoft to do something like that... they do it on purpose so you have to buy new stuff all the time. It's a conspiracy I say!

.>

<.<

~Sol

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Yeah, but usually the consumer gets royally screwed, not developers.. maybe it's their new trick.

• Yeah, but usually the consumer gets royally screwed, not developers.. maybe it's their new trick.

I guess so, but to them we are all the same... we still have to buy thier defective software.

~Sol

• Yes, XAudio2 works on WinXP. Ironically, I think the XP implementation relies on DirectSound!

• Is this going to make it in the next build or is it a few builds off?

I'm asking because I see some stuff appearing on the CVS.

• Not the next minor build, but the next major build. I have started it on a new CVS module called 'Plugins', where I will be putting up some open-source plugins.

• Quick XAudio2 update - I've added more format support for XAudio2; a common problem with Directsound was that it only supported PCM WAVs. XAudio2 will support runtime decoding of ADPCM and xWMA WAVs. xWMA is a lightweight version of WMA specially supported by XAudio2. I'm also planning OGG support, but that will require fully decompressing the files in to memory first, but with today's computer memories, I don't think it's much important. For completeness, I'll throw in a Play MP3 action like Directsound had.

• Quick XAudio2 update - I've added more format support for XAudio2; a common problem with Directsound was that it only supported PCM WAVs. XAudio2 will support runtime decoding of ADPCM and xWMA WAVs. xWMA is a lightweight version of WMA specially supported by XAudio2. I'm also planning OGG support, but that will require fully decompressing the files in to memory first, but with today's computer memories, I don't think it's much important. For completeness, I'll throw in a Play MP3 action like Directsound had.

wooo ogg support... good news!

• How will this new XAudio2 thing affect .mod files? Will they still play normally?

I just recently found a .mod tracker that I'm comfortable with (it has a piano roll instead of the usual top-to-bottom setup that trackers have) so I'm getting into making .mod music because the file sizes are so much smaller.

• How will this new XAudio2 thing affect .mod files? Will they still play normally?

I don't understand... neither Directsound nor XAudio have had or will have MOD support. Rich wrote a separate MOD plugin, though.

• I know, but doesn't the .mod plugin like, translate stuff into direct...

You know what, nevermind . I don't know how any of this works, let's just pretend I didn't ask anything.

• Keep it as it is, and add the new plugin. Directsounds works GREAT on my Vista. I don't want it replaced.

• I think Directsound works if you have a Creative card and special drivers. I'm not convinced Directsound is a viable audio engine for games any more, because it simply will not work for a significant number of users. You can carry on making games with it - but you might get a lot of your Vista users telling you they hear nothing. Because of this, I don't want Directsound to come with Construct any more, so it's deprecated and I plan on entirely removing it by 1.0.

I'm hoping to completely reproduce Directsound's featureset in XAudio2 so it should be entirely possible to move your game over to the new plugin. XAudio2 also has many improvements on Directsound - I've finished adding OGG support now, which means it can play PCM, ADPCM, xWMA and OGG files on channels - whereas Directsound is stuck with just PCM. It's also got volume metering and other benefits. I really don't think Directsound should be kept as a plugin so I do insist that it is removed ASAP.

• I think Directsound works if you have a Creative card and special drivers. I'm not convinced Directsound is a viable audio engine for games any more, because it simply will not work for a significant number of users. You can carry on making games with it - but you might get a lot of your Vista users telling you they hear nothing. Because of this, I don't want Directsound to come with Construct any more, so it's deprecated and I plan on entirely removing it by 1.0.

I'm hoping to completely reproduce Directsound's featureset in XAudio2 so it should be entirely possible to move your game over to the new plugin. XAudio2 also has many improvements on Directsound - I've finished adding OGG support now, which means it can play PCM, ADPCM, xWMA and OGG files on channels - whereas Directsound is stuck with just PCM. It's also got volume metering and other benefits. I really don't think Directsound should be kept as a plugin so I do insist that it is removed ASAP.

This. All of it.

~Sol

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)