Electronjs and NWjs

0 favourites
  • 2 posts
  • I do not know if it's the right section, but I have a curiosity.

I tried to create an executable file with NW.js and with Electronjs. Both for Windows 64bit. I used KiwiStory as a starting point, without modifying anything (I just added a ico file). I setted to true the option Deduplicate images, Recompress images and Minify script.

For NW.js I used this tutorial. For Electronjs I used this instructions to download a zip files with the HTML and JS source. Then I created an electron app that reference to index.html like start page. This is a github with my code.

And this is the two files I obtained (hosted on GitHub)

As you can see, the NWjs export is 77MB (compressed), the Electronjs export is 47MB. If I decompress the NWjs's file I get a folder of 154MB. Electronjs is 3 times smaller than NWJS.

Instead the used RAM is similar:

So, why is the size difference so big?

Another question, from a noob.

Many applications have been built with electronjs. I myself use some of these (Gitkraken and Atom and Skype). Why does Scirra / Construct prefer NWJS? Are there any features that are missing at Electron?

One last question: using electron to create a file to distribute is allowed by the terms of use of Costruct3? (Obviously with an active subscription)

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I tried to create an autoupdate for an app built with C3 and electronjs. When I release a new version of my app, a warning appears and is automatically installed in place of the old version.

I followed this guide. On windows it works, on linux there are some problems.

link to image

(I have no idea how to implement the same thing with nwjs)

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)