Make flowing water in a top down game

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Tileset with underwater deep sea theme. Suitable for adventure, action, or similar games.
  • I fiddled with it a bit more, didn't find any worthwhile changes.

On a performance note I get 6-7 fps on my machine. I made the entire thing in javascript completely independent from Construct and got 22 fps, but that's also with a 360x360 grid instead of 50x50 and I'm not doing anything fast with the rendering.

I found that fun. I'm probably going to do that sort of thing more and more. No engine, no editor, completely diy, and no limits. Completely carefree, and it actually isn't harder and doesn't take much longer than doing it in a game maker. Sorry for the off-topic tangent, it doesn't help with the op in relation to this software.

On a performance note I get 6-7 fps on my machine. I made the entire thing in javascript completely independent from Construct and got 22 fps, but that's also with a 360x360 grid instead of 50x50 and I'm not doing anything fast with the rendering.

I found that fun. I'm probably going to do that sort of thing more and more. No engine, no editor, completely diy, and no limits. Completely carefree, and it actually isn't harder and doesn't take much longer than doing it in a game maker. Sorry for the off-topic tangent, it doesn't help with the op in relation to this software.

Speaking of which, this looks like it might be a great problem for a GPU. I imagine you could run a similar algorithm about 1,000,000 times faster with a GPU's parallel processing. R0J0hound, by any chance do you know if it is possible to do Unity-style compute shaders on the GPU with WebGL?

• Speaking of which, this looks like it might be a great problem for a GPU. I imagine you could run a similar algorithm about 1,000,000 times faster with a GPU's parallel processing. R0J0hound, by any chance do you know if it is possible to do Unity-style compute shaders on the GPU with WebGL?

Maybe this: https://github.com/gpujs/gpu.js

[quote:26vnsto7]gpu.js is a JavaScript Acceleration library for GPGPU (General purpose computing on GPUs) in Javascript. gpu.js will automatically compile simple JavaScript functions into shader language and run them on the GPU. In case a GPU is not available, the functions will still run in regular JavaScript.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • >

>

> Speaking of which, this looks like it might be a great problem for a GPU. I imagine you could run a similar algorithm about 1,000,000 times faster with a GPU's parallel processing. R0J0hound, by any chance do you know if it is possible to do Unity-style compute shaders on the GPU with WebGL?

>

Maybe this: https://github.com/gpujs/gpu.js

[quote:137auibi]gpu.js is a JavaScript Acceleration library for GPGPU (General purpose computing on GPUs) in Javascript. gpu.js will automatically compile simple JavaScript functions into shader language and run them on the GPU. In case a GPU is not available, the functions will still run in regular JavaScript.

zenox98, this is life-changing! Thank you!

So many of our simulations could benefit from GPU acceleration. I'm thinking make a javascript call to gpu.js to return an array, then use C2 to visualize the results. This is awesome!

• Google deserves the credit, not I

It would still require someone proficient in Javascript to either make a plugin or integrate using the Event system, both of which are above my pay grade, unfortunately.

• Well I'm glad I got a good conversation going ^-^ This is for a game I'm making and I decided to make a much simpler version where the amount of water change so it will basically just fill the map up to .its level. Thank you so much for your help and I'm glad you had fun tinkering with this problem as much as I did

It is interesting though that in theory java script would have been even faster, but that the fps still weren't blazing fast. To me it corroborates what many coders have been saying in the forums, that it eventually comes down to code strategy or optimization, and specific to the type being used. I'm sure that any further effort from your part would come up with a way to double up performance for a similar look hehe.

I am finally starting to get comfortable with construct 2 and I personally would not even dream of switching software or languages right now. Coming up with solutions, physics, etc... like you do ROJOhound, or completing a responsive and finished Construct 2 product like "Klang" and "The Next Penelope" are my inspiration. Although I wonder how much of those projects is done with outside sources, because I am trying to create even without plugins out of fear that my export will not work.

I know nothing about actual programming, and compiling (or compilation debugging) sounds like an unachievable nightmare to me, so I rely on hope that Cocoon or other auto exporting methods will work for what I manage to create. In a different world, I would have done computer science while I was in college.

My tangent on a tangent

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)