Make a realistic globe

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
From the Asset Store
2D realistic cloud pack has 11 different clouds included.
  • Hi there.

I have given this a few tries over the years and every time I get closer but can never get it done all the way.

I am wondering if anyone wants to take a crack at it, or has done it before.

It would be a globe, that you can control with the mouse (like google earth) that does not need zoom in abilities and does not really destroy the rest of the layout (forced black background, etc).

Controlling it with the mouse is the easy part. My last attempt I feel I got pretty close but I also had to destroy the background:

A layer with a map image, with a Bulge effect, not so high on the scale as quality gets degraded no matter the image resolution; A layer on top with a white circle. "Source in" on the the bottom layer and "Destination in" on the top layer. This "works" to some extent but it never quite feels like a globe when moving it around with the mouse, it just feels like moving a map around inside a circle. The "Bulge" effect helps some. I have poked around with the "Bulge" effect enough to start to think that there may not be a sweet spot, I may just be going at it the wrong way.

I messed around with plenty of other effects (warp, pulse). I considered going third party on the whole thing with importing in three.js or something similar and popping a globe in but I was hoping to keep it native to Construct if possible.

Has anyone had any solid 3d looking success with this?

• I think what you want to do isn´t really all that doable with native construct, since construct is simply not a 3D engine. I mean it is possible with css/javascript, but at that it doesn´t run all that effective.

codepen.io/edankwan/pen/emqgpr

The closest solution might actually be what you did

A layer with a map image, with a Bulge effect, not so high on the scale as quality gets degraded no matter the image resolution; A layer on top with a white circle. "Source in" on the the bottom layer and "Destination in" on the top layer. This "works" to some extent but it never quite feels like a globe when moving it around with the mouse, it just feels like moving a map around inside a circle

You actually got me curious about that idea, I might give it a shot. I think there might be some tricks I can use (in terms of design/art) to help faciliate a better perception of a globe and not a circle. I´ll post here if I got something. :)

• Well, here´s my attempt. You do have to fake some stuff, and that usually comes with tradeoffs. So if you want a globe just like google earth, you won´t get around using something like threejs. If you are ok with the tradeoffs, you can fake it. Now I don´t know what you intend to create, but if it´s not crucial, you should consider changing it to something that works fine in 2D and doesn´t require too much faking or third party libraries, it will safe you a lot of headaches.

wackytoaster.at/parachute/globe.c3p

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Well, here´s my attempt. You do have to fake some stuff, and that usually comes with tradeoffs. So if you want a globe just like google earth, you won´t get around using something like threejs. If you are ok with the tradeoffs, you can fake it. Now I don´t know what you intend to create, but if it´s not crucial, you should consider changing it to something that works fine in 2D and doesn´t require too much faking or third party libraries, it will safe you a lot of headaches.

https://www.wackytoaster.at/parachute/globe.c3p

Thanks so much for your help. I actually made a very great example and I will update this post for future visitors once I got it down all the way. I actually used the exact example you provided from codepen and was able to incorporate that in with the canvas overlaying it transparently and controlling it from the canvas of Contruct.

Once I am satisfied with the fine controls i'll provide a .c3p file.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)