Will Scirra C3 exporter have improved performance over XDK?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Firebase: Analytics, Dynamic Links, Remote Config, Performance, Crashlytics on Android, iOS & Web Browser
  • > I really hope that scirras own service to build apps in C3 is alot better than phonegap.

> Just tested phonegap with a tiny test game and the performance is embarrassing.

>

Again, I will keep repeating this, you have to check for GPU blacklisting as the very first step. Visit chrome://gpu in Chrome on the device to check. This only affects about ~5% of devices.

Ok I'll do that but I find it hard to believe that a top-selling phone like my Samsung Galaxy S7 would be blacklisted (or my tablet Samsung Galaxy TAB S for that matter).

• Multiple Raster Threads: Disabled

Native GpuMemoryBuffers: Software Only. Hardware acceleration disabled.

Video encode: Software Only. Hardware acceleration disabled.

WebGL2: Unavailable.

The key entries are "Canvas" and "WebGL" (ie. WebGL 1), are they not listed?

• Ok I'll do that but I find it hard to believe that a top-selling phone like my Samsung Galaxy S7 would be blacklisted (or my tablet Samsung Galaxy TAB S for that matter).

You can also send me your .capx if you want me to take a look. But most of the time I get something which runs in to hardware limits, so is a game design issue, and would not be faster in a different engine.

• Ashley

on my phone:

Canvas: Hardware accelerated

WebGL: Hardware accelerated

on my tab:

Canvas: Hardware accelerated

WebGL: Hardware accelerated

Link to capx: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/613 ... umper.capx (it is just a tiny test project)

Again when I export it with a lower android version setting and take the 25mb hit it works fine

• That .capx runs perfectly on my HTC 10, in Chrome. Does it run well for you from the browser?

• That .capx runs perfectly on my HTC 10, in Chrome. Does it run well for you from the browser?

When I preview with the chrome browser on my devices it runs very good.

So what is wrong with the phonegap export I wonder? (using the free account there if that makes any difference)

• Ashley

Any thoughts?

• > Multiple Raster Threads: Disabled

> Native GpuMemoryBuffers: Software Only. Hardware acceleration disabled.

> Video encode: Software Only. Hardware acceleration disabled.

> WebGL2: Unavailable.

>

The key entries are "Canvas" and "WebGL" (ie. WebGL 1), are they not listed?

Everything else is listed as working and enabled, including canvas and webgl.

• - I can't see any actual performance data you've shared in this thread, so I don't know if you're talking about 10 FPS vs. 55 FPS. If it runs OK but looks a bit janky, that turns out to be a Chrome bug on Android at the moment. Without any reason to think otherwise for the time being I would attribute any non-smooth performance issue to that bug. It'll get fixed though, Chrome had a v-sync bug in v38 which got fixed fairly quickly.

• Ashley only the ones I listed are disabled, all others are working and fine; is there something else I can try?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • - I can't see any actual performance data you've shared in this thread, so I don't know if you're talking about 10 FPS vs. 55 FPS. If it runs OK but looks a bit janky, that turns out to be a Chrome bug on Android at the moment. Without any reason to think otherwise for the time being I would attribute any non-smooth performance issue to that bug. It'll get fixed though, Chrome had a v-sync bug in v38 which got fixed fairly quickly.

I think that would be the reason also. FPS are the same when exporting to android below or above version 5.0. However exporting to lower version that yields bigger apk

runs smooth while the other one have jerky/skippy movements.

edit:

forgot to mention that fps lies steadily between 57 and 60. Even on my more than 3yrs old little LG L70 low budget device (when exporting to android 4.1)

• forgot to mention that fps lies steadily between 57 and 60.

It sounds like your game is actually running great then!

• > forgot to mention that fps lies steadily between 57 and 60.

>

It sounds like your game is actually running great then!

Yep it does, thanx for being patient with me

Now I'm eagerly awaitng more news about C3, specifically regarding Scirras own wrapping service and what kind of monetization options it will have. Have been looking into rewarded video ads but would much prefer not to have to rely on 3rd party plugins but official ones from scirra.

• >

> > Just tested phonegap with a tiny test game and the performance is embarrassing.

> >

>

> > forgot to mention that fps lies steadily between 57 and 60.

> >

> It sounds like your game is actually running great then!

>

Yep it does, thanx for being patient with me

Honestly, this is so routine it's ridiculous. If anyone ever complains of poor performance I always try to help - and it virtually always comes down to either GPU blacklisting (known, documented and relatively minor problem affecting just a few % of devices), some silly mistake (e.g. disabling optimisations), or in this case... just mysteriously disappearing? I can't even remember the last time any performance complaint turned out to be a genuine problem - and I've looked in to a lot.

From now on, I think I will simply ignore complaints about performance. Either you provide a .capx and performance data, or I won't pay attention, because it is routinely just a waste of time. I will of course still investigate genuine problems. But I'm really tired of these constant wild goose chases. It just doesn't seem worth the effort. And it's not just you - it's lots of people, all the time.

This is also exactly why we stick to HTML5. People often accuse it of being slow, and whenever I investigate, it's always these same things. I think I'll start linking to this thread when people ask for native exporters...

• Ashley

Well sorry to ruin your day, on the bright side I now know to put in an fps counter while testing. I'll admit that, with my limited knowledge about these things, I thought jerky/skippy movement always meant low fps, now I know better.

I'll remeber to check the gpu blacklist for sure. I did however (in my defense) point out in my original post that I found it odd to be working well when exporting to lower android version and it did not occur to me that there might be a bug in the current webview software on the device (correct me if I'm wrong).

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)