Where to begin?

0 favourites
  • 9 posts
  • Hi all - I'm brand new to Construct. I have a tiny bit of experience using a Construct competitor (but only a little), and I think I want to make the move to Construct.

The question is, should I start with Construct 2 since it seems to have lots of tutorials and is really well documented? Or should I jump right in to Construct 3, since it seems to be nearing the end of its beta and is going to be the new thing?

Will Construct 2 tutorials generally still apply to Construct 3, or is everything completely different now? If I want a basic, idiots-guide kind of overview for Construct 3, where should I start?

Thanks in advance for your help!

• I've been reading through the Construct 2 manual while only using Construct 3 (on a Chromebook) and haven't found anything too different.

The C2 Monster Shooter tutorial is still a good place to start. Towards the end they add a third layer which is impossible in the demo of either C2 or C3, but you can either skip that or work around it as an "exercise for the reader."

• Hello. I am actually working on a Construct 3 video tutorial series that is geared at people who are totally new to Construct. It might be of some help to you. I try to update with a new video at least once a week.

I suggest you start with Tutorial #1 and work your way up, as the videos build on each other. I am hoping to have the next tutorial up in the next day or two.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe3lsh ... J7hwUuJPaQ

-CFry

• Thanks for the advice. I decided to dive in to C3. I'm following a YouTube tutorial for C2 and it's very easy to follow. I was worried the UI might have changed a lot, but I'm pleased to see it's basically the same as it was before.

• Difficult to say but yeah I'd probably start with Construct 3 as well.

it's very much C2 in the browser at this stage. Nothing wrong with C2's interface etc. And the C3 one is good as well.

I'd say obviously more focus will be on C3. When they re-write the runtime there will also obviously be a lot of benefits to be on C3.

The near time loss would be not having access to all the behaviors and plug-ins that has been written by the community over the last few years. Those will take time to come to C3.

• Thanks for the advice. I decided to dive in to C3. I'm following a YouTube tutorial for C2 and it's very easy to follow. I was worried the UI might have changed a lot, but I'm pleased to see it's basically the same as it was before.

Just keep in mind that it's still beta. So bugs are expected.

• > Thanks for the advice. I decided to dive in to C3. I'm following a YouTube tutorial for C2 and it's very easy to follow. I was worried the UI might have changed a lot, but I'm pleased to see it's basically the same as it was before.

>

Just keep in mind that it's still beta. So bugs are expected.

Yeah, that's the frustrating part. I've got something really odd happening in a game I'm building (I made another post about it), and it's most likely something I did wrong, but I'm following a tutorial and can't figure out where I went wrong. So it's that question of not knowing if it's my fault (probably since I'm figuring it all out as I go) or a bug that I can't do anything about right now that's killing me.

Because the obvious temptation is to say, "well, I did this right so it must be a bug." But chances are I did something wrong, and that's no way to learn.

• Yeah, that's the frustrating part. I've got something really odd happening in a game I'm building (I made another post about it), and it's most likely something I did wrong, but I'm following a tutorial and can't figure out where I went wrong. So it's that question of not knowing if it's my fault (probably since I'm figuring it all out as I go) or a bug that I can't do anything about right now that's killing me.

Because the obvious temptation is to say, "well, I did this right so it must be a bug." But chances are I did something wrong, and that's no way to learn.

Then just grab C2 from the website and learn the engine using that editor. Since C3 is very similar to C2 currently, you won't have a problem to switch if you decide to purchase it after you get the hang of it. Also I believe the offer still stands that if you buy C2 before the release of C3, you'll get 1 year of subscription for C3 (https://www.scirra.com/blog/183/announcing-construct-3)

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • There is little difference between construct 2 and construct 3, however I advise you to actually start using construct3 as this will possibly be your new working environment

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)