What are the benefits with C3?

0 favourites
  • 12 posts
From the Asset Store
Jump on the mole rats and see how far you can go!
  • Was reading the C3 announcement and congratulation with it almost being done

Anyway as I was reading it you write the following in the beginning:

[quote:dwgza59q]We aim to redefine what is possible with the web. So we built the Construct 3 editor itself for the browser.

Construct 3 works in Chrome on Windows, Mac, Linux, and Chrome OS. There's nothing to install — it's as simple as visiting a website. There are too many new features to list here,

Personally Im not a fan of working in browsers and only use NWjs in C2 for previewing, so im probably not as excited as you are or as many other users might be. I like working in programs especially designed for a specific purpose, which might very well be the case for C3, but for me, it just feels right with a program you start and do your work in etc. Anyway what I would like to know, if you can elaborate, what are the benefits of what you write above in the announcement for me(us) as user? You give the impression that its something new and exciting, but you don't really share what we as users should be so excited about, for now having to use a browser rather than an installed application?

I read some other users concerned with doing this as 3rd party problems could affect things. In C2 we have and still experience problems with our creations due to browser issues that was outside your domain to fix. But having it affect our creations is one thing. But wont you run the risk of it suddenly adding problems or limitations which could affect the editor it self?

As many others (I think) Im not fan of the subscription payment method, but do understand why you would prefer doing it that way, but again for me I like programs and once you have bought them they are yours, subscriptions always feels like im leasing something without owning it and I don't like that in general. So was wondering if you plan on making an one time buy offline version? (I know C3 works offline) but a version that doesn't work online in the browser but one that works simply like C2 does now and where you pay a one time price?

Anyway looking forward to trying the beta.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • If they release an Ios version, I probably won't be able to install it since Apple stopped supporting my Ipad.

Then again, I'll be able to use the browser version, and even add it to the home screen.

• I think Scirra will answer:

• we believe it's where programs and services will move to: browser based.
    • you can work on any device on your project, without installing C3 (and if u cloud save, you have your project within reach immediately)
    • you can work on mobile devices
    • when you work online, you will always have the latest version
  • I think it's a bit too soon to post a topic like this, while Scirra is still revealing new and new C3 features. But just to mention some of the features that makes it worth to consider C3:

• Scirra's own cloud APK exporter.
    • New features in the editor to make the development process faster and more comfortable.
    • Completely redesignable and translatable editor.
    • New plugin manager with the future promise of editor plugins.
    • Built in web-font support.
    • Etc..

The browser based editor can have several advantages, and I don't think that Scirra would go for it if they weren't absolutely sure about that it will work great.

The subscription is one of the main topics in the C3 forum section, but to cut it short: No one-off payments. And I think it's better that way (but that's just my opinion).

• I think it's a bit too soon to post a topic like this, while Scirra is still revealing new and new C3 features. But just to mention some of the features that makes it worth to consider C3:

- Scirra's own cloud APK exporter.

- New features in the editor to make the development process faster and more comfortable.

- Completely redesignable and translatable editor.

- New plugin manager with the future promise of editor plugins.

- Built in web-font support.

- Etc..

The browser based editor can have several advantages, and I don't think that Scirra would go for it if they weren't absolutely sure about that it will work great.

The subscription is one of the main topics in the C3 forum section, but to cut it short: No one-off payments. And I think it's better that way (but that's just my opinion).

Don't get me wrong, they have already presented new features in C3 from what I can see and im sure more will follow. What im interested in is why a browser based editor is better than one that is not. What benefits does it give, I don't think its to early to ask such question, because it must have been something they decided or saw some benefits/advances in doing quite early, when they started to develop C3. Keep in mind as I stated in my OP post im not a fan of browser based apps in general, so im just curious about potential benefits of such solution compared to a "normal" program.

• OS independency (writing with mobile phone. Short answer^^)

• Oh so it will work on ipad? I thought it wouldn't work with construct 3 on apple devices due to Safari only browsers. (Needing Chrome, the Chrome in App Store is fake chrome actually, it is Safari with Chrome cover)

• I think the browser version is a great option, although that just depends on how well it runs in the browser.

But I could have sworn Ashley mentioning in one of the posts that there was still a way to use it as a standalone if you wanted? I could be wrong, but I think the additional pluses through the browser outweighs any desire for me to have an app version.

Being able to be at work and on lunch just open a new tab on my work Mac computer and be able to mess with my code sounds pretty awesome.

• Oh so it will work on ipad? I thought it wouldn't work with construct 3 on apple devices due to Safari only browsers. (Needing Chrome, the Chrome in App Store is fake chrome actually, it is Safari with Chrome cover)

Some things like multiplayer still wont work on Safari, but may eventually.

That's why they announced Chrome first.

• The biggest feature of C3 is it can work on Windows, Linux, Mac and Chrome OS. There's nothing to install — it's as simple as visiting a website.

• OS independency (writing with mobile phone. Short answer^^)

well, you don't need a browser for that - there are much better ways that trusting another third party.

Developing on a smart phone - really - how big is your smart phone - lol

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)