Too bad...

0 favourites
  • I was thinking they would make the free version actually usable with Construct 3 since it costs so much more, but I guess I was wrong.

You would think they'd allow more events like 200 or 300 so that people would become more invested in their projects. If you spend enough time to use up 300 events, chances are you have begun to actually make something that you want to continue developing and then at that point paying makes more sense.

• Most of the new features are subscriber-only so you can't try them out in the public beta right now (although you will be able to during the Newgrounds Gamejam). Take a look through the blog posts, there is actually a lot new in C3, it's just not all accessible right now.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Most of the new features are subscriber-only so you can't try them out in the public beta right now (although you will be able to during the Newgrounds Gamejam). Take a look through the blog posts, there is actually a lot new in C3, it's just not all accessible right now.

Ashley, with respect,

I really dislike the whole browser thing and will just stick with C2 for fun with the kids, and stay in the 3D world - so very unlikely I will subscribe, sorry.

However I do appreciate the work and ingenuity you have put into C3 - but being locked down for a beta just makes no sense to me - at all.

I really think it would go a long way to sell C3 if you unlock the whole engine, let people see what C3 has to offer, let them play with all the features for the whole beta period, not just for a one week game jam session that only the more experienced users will take part in.

There is no point telling people about the cool features they can't test, and saying that they will love it in the full version when they subscribe.

Throw them the bait, so they can really see if they want to swallow it, or just spit it out.

Just my 2 cents for what little it is worth

I do however wish yourself and all the Scirra team the best of luck.

Michael

• We thought people would be even more upset if we let them build up big projects over several weeks and then pulled the rug out from under their feet and withdrew access to their projects until they subscribed. I can easily imagine the posts accusing us of "holding projects to ransom", "weeks of work held hostage", etc.

So the compromise is to use the free edition - which should be fine for finding out the bugs, it's already turned up a lot! - and enable the full version for one week later on in the process when C3 should have stabilised a lot.

• Why not just state clearly that after the beta you can only use the full version upon purchase.

You could not be accused of anything underhanded by any rational person.

And how can you find all the bugs if most of the features are not accessible?

Most people will not be using the beta to help find bugs, but to see if they want to enter a subscription for the tool.

With respect

Michael

• Well like i said before the beta, giving the free version for testing makes only so much sense... - nobody said anything

I was really excited for C3, because taking Construct to the web is pretty much a great step and it for sure is an amazing achievement for Scirra.

However...

The blog posts did not offer a lot of really new features, which is okay, since they are building the foundation first, but limiting the testing to even less than the announced features and a stripped down free version takes the whole fun out of the beta testing period.

Basically I opened C3 and thought "yup it works and looks good" which i expected anyway, but then thought "mhm... i can do pretty much nothing with this, there is no point in testing things in here". The limitations are just really really tight. I honestly can't tell now if i want to subscribe anymore, because nothing new is available for me to try out.

For a product that you want to sell after the beta, there is a lot of work left on the product.

I read somewhere that your UX guy hasn't had the chance to go over it - so why even release it to the public for testing already? I believe you should have just polished it a little more, let me wait some time and make it so that i want it.

Even with my deepest respect for what you achieved technologywise - it's just so disappointing.

It does not feel like it is "worth" the price upgrade yet. Will take a look in the last week when you opened up the "full" version for sure, so maybe you can still suprise me.

I liked the Construct workflow a lot and am more than willing to support great software, so probably i have to checkback in a year and see if the improvements can make me wanna subscribe.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)