Subscription Pricing Alternative

From the Asset Store
Template for an alternative to falling shapes, fully documented in comments and video

blurymind Here's some payment models you should try on your next game/software. LoL

Example 1.

Full Free version without export options, unless you pay. Develop a full game, spend at least a year on it then release it for free. And make it really hard to reach last boss. When the player reaches the last boss they get a notification. If you want to complete the game and kill last boss, pay 9$ per month, and you can continue play the game....And after release people are expecting support, bug fixes, updates and new features, characters, and weapons. Try that model and let me know how that worked out for you.

Example 2.

Pay Once... free upgrades and bug fixes & features, like current C2.

Develop a full game release a free, limited version with 2 Purchase options. Normal mode, And Normal mode but a little more expensive with some bonus. In game description you mention free upgrades, bug fixes, new levels, features and support which you have to provide as long as there are players playing it... Let me know how that worked out for you.

C2's current payment model isn't sustainable unless they keep getting new users all the time. If the can assure a steady flow of users they can keep developing, like example 2.

Example 1 wouldn't work either unless people were really determined. Hobbyists would continue using free version, and you would still have to offer support, services, server costs, staff costs and upgrades for them without earning a cent...

Current model proposed for C3 is the best way for scirra to ensure continued development and a steady income, given they took the bold decision to make their tool online which limits version handling. I'm guessing everyone using C3 will always be using the same build, since it's online. Then you have server costs, staff cost, service costs etc....

Yes you could argue that they could have gone another route planning to release a major update every year after that to charge 99$ again, but then you have the problem after a while to continue supporting multiple software like, Classic, C2, C3, C4, C5 unless you officially dropped support for older versions, otherwise they would be stuck with same problem as Example 2.....

If you don't like subscription model, just pretend you're buying a copy every year because you think the tool is awesome.

I'm just waiting for someone to propose an AD based version of C3 now. Full version free but banners and commersial popups everywhere.. lol

Rayek I get what you're saying but as they stated in the first announcement. Due to the nature of the software being online, how would you physically own it if you "bought" it? Then they would have to provide a downloadable copy you could run locally. And they have mentioned earlier that standalone versions are considered and likely to come, but I guess it's a bit of a hassle in version handling?

I'm pretty sure standalone versions are coming, and if they do, hopefully more payment options...

But then again if you payed once for a year of upgrades you would have to stick with the latest version you downloaded after service expire and not expect any upgrades or bug fixes while you're not paying.

Monthly subs usually just mean pay-by-the-month, but you are locked into it for twelve months - which means you can't just opt out for a month, you still pay for the month that you go on vacation.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads

Come on people give it up they don't give a #$& about what you think so please stop talking about payment just piss me off so please stop talking about payment

Come on people give it up they don't give a #$& about what you think so please stop talking about payment just piss me off so please stop talking about payment

Lol - yeah I guess it is a bit like flogging a dead horse.

But then again if you payed once for a year of upgrades you would have to stick with the latest version you downloaded after service expire and not expect any upgrades or bug fixes while you're not paying.

That is exactly what people would like - it is also how a sub should work.

Monthly subs usually just mean pay-by-the-month, but you are locked into it for twelve months - which means you can't just opt out for a month, you still pay for the month that you go on vacation.

You are still supporting Scirra (the great tool builder^^) that now, with this model, can work faster, better and more efficient. Win for you ^^

More features and bug fixes when you get back from holiday ^^

You are still supporting Scirra (the great tool builder^^) that now, with this model, can work faster, better and more efficient. Win for you ^^

More features and bug fixes when you get back from holiday ^^

Yeah I just mentioned that because some one thought you could just pay for a month then stop for a month etc.

But don't forget chrome is not efficient - it should be added to the virus detection list - lol

In my mind, the problem is that a subscription is stupidly expensive. C3 may be worth $125 out right, but it is not worth that much each year! Thats is a very steep price to pay. I could see a subscription costing like $50 a year... but lets face it, the scirra team is tiny - they don't push $125 worth of features in a year. I mean, come on, I would be happier with a product, that has a life, but you own it. You buy it because of what it is... not rent it so you can alsways rent it.

The subscription model is one of the most dishonest ways to get more money than your product is worth to most people. Sure some can pony up the cash, but hobiests are always left out to dry with this model. Then of course... no editing your project this year if you didn't pay up. Stupid. Stupid . stupid.

I bought adobe cs6, but I will not rent css. I'll use gimp, or something else before I rent software. Its a dumb financial move for everyone except a business.

In my mind, the problem is that a subscription is stupidly expensive. C3 may be worth $125 out right, but it is not worth that much each year! Thats is a very steep price to pay. I could see a subscription costing like $50 a year... but lets face it, the scirra team is tiny - they don't push $125 worth of features in a year. I mean, come on, I would be happier with a product, that has a life, but you own it. You buy it because of what it is... not rent it so you can alsways rent it.

The subscription model is one of the most dishonest ways to get more money than your product is worth to most people. Sure some can pony up the cash, but hobiests are always left out to dry with this model. Then of course... no editing your project this year if you didn't pay up. Stupid. Stupid . stupid.

I bought adobe cs6, but I will not rent css. I'll use gimp, or something else before I rent software. Its a dumb financial move for everyone except a business.

I mean, I don't believe in subscriptions, but they could have at least announced selectively disabling solids as a "feature".

Meanwhile, here's how to do a development blog for a product with a fixed fee: http://www.clickteam.com/fusion-3-devel ... ?f3id=8909

In my mind, the problem is that a subscription is stupidly expensive. (...) I could see a subscription costing like $50 a year...

I also wish the hobbyist price would go down to $50!

> In my mind, the problem is that a subscription is stupidly expensive. (...) I could see a subscription costing like $50 a year...

>

I also wish the hobbyist price would go down to $50!

I wouldn't be interested if it was $10 per-anum, I just want to own it, charge $500 if they must. Or charge $100 for updates until the next major upGRADE version number (v3.0-v4.0, v3.4-v4.4, v4.6-v5.6, etc)

>

> > In my mind, the problem is that a subscription is stupidly expensive. (...) I could see a subscription costing like $50 a year...

> >

>

> I also wish the hobbyist price would go down to $50!

>

I wouldn't be interested if it was $10 per-anum, I just want to own it, charge $500 if they must. Or charge $100 for updates until the next major upGRADE version number (v3.0-v4.0, v3.4-v4.4, v4.6-v5.6, etc)

I disagree with you.

I disagree with you.

Well, yeah, if it was ten dollars a year, on second thoughts, I might do! :p

All they need to do is drop the being locked out of your project after twelve month and it would be fine.

I mentioned somewhere else on these forums that I have a suite of components for UI dev in VS which is a twelve month sub type system. But if you don't renew the sub you can't get updates, additions. or bug fixes - you do however get to keep and use the components forever after that. Additionally you can renew your sub at any time you want - even years later - at a reduced price.

I can renew it now if I want, although I haven't done so for nearly two years, because there is nothing new added that I need.

This way you are not milking them by expecting never ending work done to the tools, and they are not milking you by expecting you to keep paying to use the tools.

Much fairer system I think.

The feeling of being milked or squeezed is awful

And more if you realize that after being paying for 5 years with that money you could have bought another better tool to use it always

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)