Sorry guys, C3 is a bad idea now - browser/subscription

From the Asset Store
Jump on the mole rats and see how far you can go!

I hate to be a little bit harsh, but people complaining about the cost of subscription I can't really understand. People who don't like browser based, I can get their point but I haven't seen any good cost/subscription arguments.

If you're a semi professional trying to earn money from your games and you're not even earning enough to cover the yearly fee of the development tool you use, you're probably doing something wrong. If your games aren't even bringing in 99 per year, how do you ever expect to pay for any staff costs in the future, or marketing, or anything else?

If you're a hobbyist. Game dev is relatively cheap hobby. Even a gym card usually cost more. Buy a musical instrument, and rent a place to practice with your band? Even the bus fare to sports practice few days a week probably cost more than 99 a year. Most hobby activities cost way more than game development. 99 a year is CHEAP, for a hobby.

If you're serious about what you do, and enjoy it. 99 a year is nothing.

One thing I do agree on though is that one reason for the Construct success have been plugins, and after C3 runtime is done, all focus should be on creating plugins, or making it easy for "non-coders" to make their own plugins/behaviours and effects and share them. Right now it feels like for such a massive community, only a handful of plugin devs are still hanging around and actively support their plugins.

I think it was mentioned in a previous blog post that there is a plan to have something like that. I would love to contribute with plugins and behaviours if I could make them using Event sheet type of way instead of coding.

I don't have anything against the price, but against subscription as a business model for this type of software. I am using C2 entirely for rapid prototyping purposes, and there's nothing better on the market right now for this use case

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads

Therefore, the platform will die.

I might start collecting all the prophecies of doom we get. We've had them from time to time ever since we started back in 2011.

With this subscription you're just scaring off your community.

Given we're happy with how C3 sales are going, this doesn't appear to be the case. I think it's worth remembering the forums are actually a minority of our overall userbase, and happy customers don't tend to post so much. This means the forum can give a distorted impression.

I hate to be a little bit harsh, but people complaining about the cost of subscription I can't really understand. People who don't like browser based, I can get their point but I haven't seen any good cost/subscription arguments.

If you're a semi professional trying to earn money from your games and you're not even earning enough to cover the yearly fee of the development tool you use, you're probably doing something wrong. If your games aren't even bringing in 99 per year, how do you ever expect to pay for any staff costs in the future, or marketing, or anything else?

If you're a hobbyist. Game dev is relatively cheap hobby. Even a gym card usually cost more. Buy a musical instrument, and rent a place to practice with your band? Even the bus fare to sports practice few days a week probably cost more than 99 a year. Most hobby activities cost way more than game development. 99 a year is CHEAP, for a hobby.

If you're serious about what you do, and enjoy it. 99 a year is nothing.

One thing I do agree on though is that one reason for the Construct success have been plugins, and after C3 runtime is done, all focus should be on creating plugins, or making it easy for "non-coders" to make their own plugins/behaviours and effects and share them. Right now it feels like for such a massive community, only a handful of plugin devs are still hanging around and actively support their plugins.

I think it was mentioned in a previous blog post that there is a plan to have something like that. I would love to contribute with plugins and behaviours if I could make them using Event sheet type of way instead of coding.

+1

Getting flashbacks to that thread from July/August with lamar

I had a break in construct usage, for a couple of months. Just got back and could not resist to express my C3 impressions Anyways, I love construct, great software.

> Therefore, the platform will die.

>

I might start collecting all the prophecies of doom we get. We've had them from time to time ever since we started back in 2011.

> With this subscription you're just scaring off your community.

>

Given we're happy with how C3 sales are going, this doesn't appear to be the case. I think it's worth remembering the forums are actually a minority of our overall userbase, and happy customers don't tend to post so much. This means the forum can give a distorted impression.

Well, you lost my $ - so there's that. I don't appreciate being sold a 'lifetime' license for C2, a product that is basically EOL 2 years later.

> I feel a little ripped-off with a C2 lifetime license that is already in it's tailspin of support.

>

Try and think about it in a different way.

"I bought C2 on a huge discount!"

Yes, it's hilarious isn't it? No wonder the customer service of most companies is in the toilet - we let them do it to us and grin about it.

This thread, like the others has run it's course. Locking.

If you don't want to pay $99 p/y for Construct 3, my suggestion is don't!

Construct 2 continues to be maintained as promised.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)