Looking for Cordova wrapped games on Google Play

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Google Analytics 4 Plugin for Construct 3 enables metrics and analytics for your games easily.
  • Hi everyone,

I was just wondering about some issues I'm having with my own project with Construct 3. I have this simple game i made to demo C3.. and when i play it on my phone browser it plays solid 60fps on my device.. but when its a cordova wrapped project the fps sucks.. like 10fps..

http://part12studios.com/temp/Games/soaring/

This issue is months old and nothing has changed.. i'm not satisfied with the answer that i'm getting from Scirra which is basically it's my LG G Stylo's drivers fault (running android 6.0) even though my phone plays every other game out there just fine.. ones far more gpu intensive.. but yes they are not cordova based either..

I've been googling and it is difficult to get a clear "this was made using cordova" and it be a title that's on google play.. i don't even care if it's a "Construct" game.. the basic answer I'm hearing is "your phone's drivers are the problem, nothing we can do" and i don't believe it. I've owned shitting android devices before that ACTUALLY have no GPU and yes they suck at games..

what it feels like is my game is acting like phonegap/cordova games use to run like before webgl was enabled at all.. i guess that was iOS7 and before..

NOTE: I experience this poor performance on both ios and android devices so this doesn't even appear to be an a "android thing", I'm just working with android because it's faster to test with dropbox / apks..

so i thought pointing to some real Cordova games that perform perfectly fine on my device would offer some contrast.. OR hey if they run crappy on my phone then I would understand my phone really is an unavoidable problem and i should go out and buy yet another android device for testing

Thanks,

Caleb

• Hi everyone,

I was just wondering about some issues I'm having with my own project with Construct 3. I have this simple game i made to demo C3.. and when i play it on my phone browser it plays solid 60fps on my device.. but when its a cordova wrapped project the fps sucks.. like 10fps..

This issue is months old and nothing has changed.. i'm not satisfied with the answer that i'm getting from Scirra which is basically it's my LG G Stylo's drivers fault (running android 6.0) even though my phone plays every other game out there just fine.. ones far more gpu intensive.. but yes they are not cordova based either..

I've been googling and it is difficult to get a clear "this was made using cordova" and it be a title that's on google play.. i don't even care if it's a "Construct" game.. the basic answer I'm hearing is "your phone's drivers are the problem, nothing we can do" and i don't believe it. I've owned shitting android devices before that ACTUALLY have no GPU and yes they suck at games..

what it feels like is my game is acting like phonegap/cordova games use to run like before webgl was enabled at all.. i guess that was iOS7 and before..

NOTE: I experience this poor performance on both ios and android devices so this doesn't even appear to be an a "android thing", I'm just working with android because it's faster to test with dropbox / apks..

so i thought pointing to some real Cordova games that perform perfectly fine on my device would offer some contrast.. OR hey if they run crappy on my phone then I would understand my phone really is an unavoidable problem and i should go out and buy yet another android device for testing

Thanks,

Caleb

are you using crosswalk or android system webview?

• I'm using Construct 3's internal Cordova wrapping service for android where they deliver an APK directly to me. For iOS I have to run an xcode project and through xcode create the IPA for testing.

I recently went to XDK to check it out and it seems that you can't download the client anymore. Are their servers still working or is XDK completely dead?

The thing that sold me on C3 was that i would no longer have to use 3rd party services like Cocoon IO or XDK, so I haven't tried those yet, but i shouldn't have too because I paid to be able to use the internal service.

I just want to see any game run poorly on my device that is cordova based. This would be helpful in isolating if it is in fact something wrong with cordova because if it's the bad driver reason i should see more games than just mine.

also by that account.. if anyone here has a good android device, try this apk if you would.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ymo6aesoijgmw ... g.apk?dl=0

the same "bad driver" issue means that if things are good then this game should play at 60fps on any good gpu/driver android device.. if it is the LEAST bit jerky it's not working right.. if you play the game on your same phone notice you'll have solid FPS in chrome on android..

• I'm using Construct 3's internal Cordova wrapping service for android where they deliver an APK directly to me. For iOS I have to run an xcode project and through xcode create the IPA for testing.

I recently went to XDK to check it out and it seems that you can't download the client anymore. Are their servers still working or is XDK completely dead?

The thing that sold me on C3 was that i would no longer have to use 3rd party services like Cocoon IO or XDK, so I haven't tried those yet, but i shouldn't have too because I paid to be able to use the internal service.

I just want to see any game run poorly on my device that is cordova based. This would be helpful in isolating if it is in fact something wrong with cordova because if it's the bad driver reason i should see more games than just mine.

also by that account.. if anyone here has a good android device, try this apk if you would.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ymo6aesoijgmw ... g.apk?dl=0

the same "bad driver" issue means that if things are good then this game should play at 60fps on any good gpu/driver android device.. if it is the LEAST bit jerky it's not working right.. if you play the game on your same phone notice you'll have solid FPS in chrome on android..

if you share me the project file i wanna do a try with my method of building apk (with and without crosswalk, both versions)

https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/9610/b ... ordova-cli

• Hey,

I tested the APK on my Galaxy Note 3, this has an Adreno 330 GPU.

It appears to run fine on my device, not noticing any lag or particular jittery frames?

Is there a way of checking the fps when running the APK?

• thanks for trying that. that's good to hear. I would just like to see a game that isn't from C3 that also runs poorly on my device that is cordova based.. a top of the line gpu doesn't fill me with confidence that average phones (what most people have) are going to run that well

• Is there a way of checking the fps when running the APK?

sure, just add a text object on a parallax0,0 layer, then add an event:

everytick-> set text to-> "fps"&fps

• yea i should do that for the next build. thanks for sharing that

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • NN81 that's very kind of you to try.. here is the project file

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i4rwcg4crsb9t ... p.zip?dl=0

i would love to try another compiled apk on my phone. If we can show it works better this way, then hopefully Scirra can figure out how they can automate their apk compiling to be done right.

Thanks!

Caleb

• NN81 that's very kind of you to try.. Thanks! Caleb

hi

here you can download your project file with text that show fps i added, and the apk i build with cordova CLI, without crosswalk (this use android system webview)

i test it on my huawey y560 and work fine at 60fps

in case if you are interested i can make the apk with crosswalk (just tell me if your device is armv7 or x86 architecture), but before try this and let me know how work

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ioTM- ... zZt54TY-sL

• ok i installed it and yes it shows 28-30 fps. but it still feels "slow".. here is a video of what i'm talking about:

https://youtu.be/35oCmxjrMvY

I think the fps counter doesn't really reflect the performance on the device.

• here is another video that really side by side compares what i'm talking about..

https://youtu.be/pInkI--EnwY

it runs fast on chrome on the same device that it runs sucky on when it's cordova based.

• I'm on the same boat as you. I am having the same issue where my game is jittery and laggy on specific Android devices using C3's built-in APK service. My game runs smooth on my 5 year old Nexus 5, my HTC One M8 and it even runs perfectly smooth on a cheap Vodafone smartphone. However the performance on both a Samsung J3 (2016 model) and the newer Samsung A5 (2017 model) is horrible and stutters so much that the game becomes unplayable. I hope now that Construct 3 has reached a stable version, that Ashley's team would spend some time in investigating this issue.

• thanks for confirming Angelo..

Yea just just seems like if Chrome can do this on the same device.. why can't Cordova tap into the same drivers.. i'm not expecting lightning performance even but it's pretty unprofessional for us to tell people who WILL experience shitty frames to say.. "sorry sir, your android device has bad drivers, deal with it.. we are.."

Seems like there must be a way to perhaps point to alternate drivers or some backup if webgl2 doesn't happen to be enabled on the device? how is it possible it runs soooo good with Chrome and yet it struggles with cordova?

Does Chrome have it's own drivers? it's an app.. it's not in the OS last time i checked (you still have to install chrome on android right?).. and if chrome CAN have it's own drivers, why can't cordova apps do the same?

I just tested it on "browser" and it too gets solid performance.. i tred the HTML5testWebView (something Ashley had asked about)

And look this isn't (For me) even an android thing. I made an iOS version and it ran just a poorly on my iPhone 5s running iOS9 i believe (whatever was current 5 months ago) so again this isn't looking like it's just "oh it runs good because it's chrome.." it's isolated to cordova as far as i can tell.

• I just resent the idea that i need to buy a "good android device" when i have one that's running everything fine except my android builds

Also note that thanks to our friend in this thread he build another version not using C3's own build so it's not that i'm blaming C3 exporting exclusively but there is clearly a problem here with Cordova and it's not our games fault.

As a paying user I'm disappointed that i've wasted many months of time potentially publishing games. I'm still using it for a game i'm working on slowly but I have other projects that could be whipped up quickly and i don't think I'm asking too much for C3 to insure export

I'll have to go back and try (again) with xcode to see if things are still slow there. I'll see if i can set some time aside and see if fps still sucks like it did months back.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)