Let us create more Layers in Test Version

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Fully commented source code/event sheet & sprites to create a space shooter game
  • Is there a reason for switching from C2 to C3 besides "It's newer" ?

Yes, in fact, I considered staying with C2. There are mainly three reasons why I prefer to switch now to a permanent solution. First, I have to redo the course material right now anyway (for other reasons), and it's time consuming to rewrite and re-record the videos from the scratch. I don't want to do this again in Dezember. Second, our students (most from rural areas) go to the next small city where they access the courses in public computer laboratories. The hosted C3 model takes a lot of installation headache away from us. Third, I find the C3 interface somewhat cleaner and more logical, which greatly helps when dealing with absolute beginners.

With so many free engines these days it just feels TOO restrictive though. The "free" version of construct 3 is basically a demo, it's not usable compared to other free engines.

Spot-on.

• > I'm sorry to say that NewGround Jam period is too short for a semester, and too early for the semester after summer vacation. Since you put the words so firmly like, me and my colleagues can see Scirra's determination clearly. We are sorry to say that we won't invest on C3 education programs, and we will help our customer schools to migrate to other 2D engines in order to avoid the termination of C2.

>

Older engines never had layers. They are just a convenience.

You can make 1000s of layers on one layer using the engine z stacking or even have your own dynamic z sorting in 2 events ....but I suppose you prefer to teach your students defeatism instead of ingenuity.

Everything in the class is for convenient comparing using DirectX or OpenGL to make a game. Of course, I can teach student how to make a engine from a blank file, and compile it to get a native binary.

• Guys, you have to be more experienced than my students before you put questions on my teaching methods. The game below is made by my students.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... e&hl=zh_TW

• jomo this is why for education there is an education licence model. this was not designed to be free software so why complain when its not?, yes that specific tutorial needs to be updated for C3 so as to be complete fully as the tutorial is written but if you are writting you're own classes then this is something you could pick up on yourself and modify it before you present it to your class. And to say you must be this qualified to talk to you is not going to get you any more help it will just alienate you from everybody. Plenty of people here have put games on the play store añd being mostly an english community that is a bad example as we cant even tell if there is actually any gameplay there.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Tiradentes

I can understand your frustration, but you might as well stay with C2 on a memory stick (no installation required) or go with GDevelop. Even Construct Classic looks like an Ok solution to teach the basics of game programing.

More or less, all these programs have similar interfaces so you don't have to redo your documentation.

• >

> > I'm sorry to say that NewGround Jam period is too short for a semester, and too early for the semester after summer vacation. Since you put the words so firmly like, me and my colleagues can see Scirra's determination clearly. We are sorry to say that we won't invest on C3 education programs, and we will help our customer schools to migrate to other 2D engines in order to avoid the termination of C2.

> >

>

> Older engines never had layers. They are just a convenience.

> You can make 1000s of layers on one layer using the engine z stacking or even have your own dynamic z sorting in 2 events ....but I suppose you prefer to teach your students defeatism instead of ingenuity.

>

Everything in the class is for convenient comparing using DirectX or OpenGL to make a game. Of course, I can teach student how to make a engine from a blank file, and compile it to get a native binary.

Anyone with half a brain can learn Construct 2/3 basics in 1 hour by themselves

but.....

[quote:31oc6y09]Of course, I can teach student how to make a engine from a blank file, and compile it to get a native binary

Now that would be a class worth attending, even if it was simple pong or spinning box.....

• Ashley , Tom

How about

• less event/layer limitation ( i.e. more events and layers), but
    • no exporter option available, i.e. preview mode only

for free version?

Since it has no exporter, users could not publish any app in free version.

• Ashley , Tom

How about

- less event/layer limitation ( i.e. more events and layers), but

- no exporter option available, i.e. preview mode only

for free version?

Since it has no exporter, users could not publish any app in free version.

+1 This is the "best" compromise

And to let users "taste" the export options, you can limit them only to the C3 demos

• Everyone wants more in the free edition. This lets them do more without making a purchase. Unfortunately that's not good for the business and our ability to make the product everyone wants and add the features everyone is asking for.

• jomo this is why for education there is an education licence model. this was not designed to be free software so why complain when its not?, yes that specific tutorial needs to be updated for C3 so as to be complete fully as the tutorial is written but if you are writting you're own classes then this is something you could pick up on yourself and modify it before you present it to your class. And to say you must be this qualified to talk to you is not going to get you any more help it will just alienate you from everybody. Plenty of people here have put games on the play store añd being mostly an english community that is a bad example as we cant even tell if there is actually any gameplay there.

Haha!

• Everyone always wants the limits higher, so they can avoid buying it for longer. I'm afraid it doesn't really make business sense to encourage that.

We did open up the full tool during the Newgrounds jam to help iron out a lot of bugs, and it was very successful at that. C3 is already a lot more stable by now.

Yeah paywalling hundreds of young students is a great business practice.

The yearly payments are scummy and a community killer, btw. Tons of people just want to casually dabble in game development and have no guarantee that they'll finish a project in a year, or ever.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)