incredibly slow import/preview times, and memory problems.

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
An educational game for Times Table. An easy to use template for developers to build larger games
  • I recently got my C3 license, and decided to import the game I've been working on in C2, but when importing my capx (~140mb), it takes about 10 minutes to finish loading up, and multiple times I have to tell Chrome to wait for it to load instead of killing the tab. Once loaded up I go to preview a layout, and after about 5 minutes of trying I'll get a message that Chrome is out of memory. I switched to Google Canary, and previews will now load, but it takes about 10-15 minutes each time.

I've tried saving the app to desktop so that I can run it offline, but I still get the same issue with the long load times and memory issues. In C2 the project loads up in about 10 seconds, and previews take just as long. But these long wait times take a massive chunk of my working time, and until they're fixed I won't be able to use C3, which is a huge bummer since I already paid for it.

I don't see many threads here talking about editor performance issues, so I'm wondering if there are common hacks or settings I can mess with to get things moving along.

• I noticed this tonight but it turned out I was running Firefox and Vivaldi in addition to Chrome. On Windows. So I killed Firefox and used Edge instead. I'm assuming you are running Construct 3 on Windows. But of course you don't have to and you may be on a Mac, Android, or ... Linux.

Assuming Windows, do the three-fingered-salute (Control-Alt-Delete) and see what else is running with Task Manager. I saw that Firefox was hogging way too much memory. Construct 3

I killed Chrome and Vivaldi, and then restarted Chrome. There was one instance of Chrome at 100MB, and when I started Construct 3, that added another 100MB, and when I ran a small game from Construct 3, that added a third instance at 100MB (your MB may vary). But that's still less than Firefox, which was chugging along at 400MB+.

So if you are making a report, let us know the following:

Operating System (me: Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit

RAM: 8GB

Browser: Chrome 58.0

Construct 3: r39

Switching to Chrome Canary sometimes gives you improvement, sometimes not. The bottom line to see what else is running on your machine, make sure your machine is good enough, and that everything is up to date.

Is anyone keeping a list of what Construct 3 runs on? Chrome we know. But it also runs on Vivaldi, Brave, and Opera (fans of Chrome), but doesn't seem happy on Firefox or Microsoft Edge.

• I've also noticed a bit longer project loading times, Not as long as you experienced, but a bit longer compared to C2. I think that's mainly because I keep my projects on dropbox so It seems to first download the project every time i open them. If you have really bad connection maybe this can take a long time?

For preview I didn't really notice anything strange, it's fast.

10-15 minutes seems very strange though. Do you have a lot of chrome extensions activated?

Did you try running construct 3 in an incognito window to see if it's faster?

i'm Using a Surface Pro 4, i5, 8GB Ram

Chrome 58

What is the specs of your machine?

• So if you are making a report, let us know the following:

Operating System (me: Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit

RAM: 8GB

Browser: Chrome 58.0

Construct 3: r39

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Ram: 24GB DDR3

CPU: Intel i7-920 2.6 (4.0 OC)

GPU: AMD R9 290

Browser: Chrome Version 58.0.3029.110 (64-bit)

Nothing in task manager is taking up much CPU or Memory, and C2 loads the project just fine (~10 seconds). Is it possible my project is just a bit large? 140mb doesn't seem too huge, but it's certainly not a small arcade game either.

• If you have really bad connection maybe this can take a long time?

10-15 minutes seems very strange though. Do you have a lot of chrome extensions activated?

Did you try running construct 3 in an incognito window to see if it's faster?

I have 100 down / 10 up for my internet, so i don't think that's the issue, especially since I tried running offline before. I disabled all extensions, and still get the same issue. Google Canary doesn't get the "ran out of memory" issue, but is still unusable slow.

Something odd though, when importing/opening my file, it'll load to 99.4%, then hang, occasionally getting that message that the tab is unresponsive, then about 10 minutes later it finishes loading.

• I'm still having memory issues as well.

I've had to work on my projects in C2 til an update addressing the memory issue comes.

But that does leave me to ask about an extension on my subscription since I literally cannot use the software to develop my project(s) at the moment.

• I'm still having memory issues as well.

I've had to work on my projects in C2 til an update addressing the memory issue comes.

But that does leave me to ask about an extension on my subscription since I literally cannot use the software to develop my project(s) at the moment.

I'm in the same boat. My game is my work right now (which hopefully I can make money from soon), and C3 can't be part of my workflow just yet. I totally understand and appreciate all the work Ashley and the team are doing right now, and I understand that my CAPX is probably a lot larger than most, so I'm willing to be a patient, but I also hope that they consider extending our licenses for a bit, as C3 is currently unable to handle the same projects that work fine in C2.

• We're all in the same boat regarding bugs. I don't think it's right for them to pick and choose whos license is extended based on project size.

Scirra can either take the approach of a) we are early adopters and must accept the bugs or limitations, or b) that we are paying to beta test and the license should not count down until the beta period is over.

• I can import a ~400mb .capx file in to C3 in about 20 seconds on my machine. So if it takes 10 minutes it sounds like something's definitely gone wrong. Given there aren't many other reports of this it does sound like something specific to your system. Maybe try disabling any browser addons you have installed?

If you have memory issues, try using Chrome Canary - they recently fixed some memory leaks and from what we've seen from other bug reports, Chrome Canary fixes most memory-related issues. In due course it will make its way down to the Stable channel.

• I can import a ~400mb .capx file in to C3 in about 20 seconds on my machine. So if it takes 10 minutes it sounds like something's definitely gone wrong. Given there aren't many other reports of this it does sound like something specific to your system. Maybe try disabling any browser addons you have installed?

If you have memory issues, try using Chrome Canary - they recently fixed some memory leaks and from what we've seen from other bug reports, Chrome Canary fixes most memory-related issues. In due course it will make its way down to the Stable channel.

Thanks for responding. After updating this morning, the import time seemed to be significantly faster, but preview times are still the same (5+ minutes). In chrome the preview causes it to run out of memory, but in canary they load. If it helps, I notice that during these long preview load times that in the bottom left corner it says "Rendering Spritesheets" with the numbers progressively changing.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I've no idea how it could take so long - on my system the 400mb project previews in about 25 seconds (most of which is building the spritesheets). It saves the results too so the next preview after that only takes ~2 seconds.

Note Construct 2 never assembled spritesheets in the editor - it only did that on export, so C3 has more work to do on the first preview. However since the results are saved subsequent previews should be faster.

• I also noticed sometime in the past week a significant slow down in my loading/saving/previewing and r40 seems to make it better its still not near as quick as it was two weeks ago. My project has only went from ~6mb to ~8mb now in the past two weeks but it went from near instant loading, saving, previewing to ~20-30 seconds for loading/saving and ~10-20 seconds for previewing. It's not terrible but it is a very noticeable difference.

• Working more the past few hours it has been painful trying to add new layouts and the application is spending a lot of time rendering images and it frequently locks up while trying to load these images. My game is under 8mb still and I am spending half my work time staring at the screen waiting for it to load and hoping it's not actually frozen.

• Working more the past few hours it has been painful trying to add new layouts and the application is spending a lot of time rendering images and it frequently locks up while trying to load these images. My game is under 8mb still and I am spending half my work time staring at the screen waiting for it to load and hoping it's not actually frozen.

While the initial load time is much faster for me today than it was yesterday, I'm getting similar performance issues. I recorded my opening the application with task manager open, and then opening my file and loading a couple layouts. Then I did the same in Construct 2 for a speed comparison. I'll upload the video later today/tonight and share results.

I just don't want to be one of those people you see in some threads who whine about performance, but don't show anything to back it up. If there is anything more I can check/show to better help understand the issue, I'll be happy to do so.

• Watching videos isn't going to help anything. What you can do instead is record a profile while something slow is happening. Open Chrome dev tools, go to the Performance tab, and hit Record. Then do something that is slow while it's recording. Then stop recording, right click in the main view and select 'Save profile'. Upload the resulting file somewhere, and then there is detailed performance data I can look at, which should give a lot of insight to what is actually making it slow.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)