I'm worried about the future.

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
professionally animated characters with Brashmonkey Spriter !
  • It isn't the only one, it wasn't the first, it's currently the best but it probably won't be when it's grandfather gets a rewrite later this year...

Eh..? Tell me more about this....

• >

> It isn't the only one, it wasn't the first, it's currently the best but it probably won't be when it's grandfather gets a rewrite later this year...

>

Eh..? Tell me more about this....

I assume he meant Fusion 3.

Interesting to note here that three 2d game editors are all to release a new version this year: Fusion 3, Godot 3, and Construct 3.

All three provide visual scripting, offer a good 2d editor, and are being rewritten,...

And all three will be releasing version 3 of their app!

3 direct competitors releasing version 3 - You'd almost think the universe has a sense of Jungian synchronous humor.

• All we need now is Half Life 3

• I hear Portal 3 is vr, and comes with a year's supply of air sickness bags.

• All we need now is Half Life 3

Half Life 1 is just too new for me, I lost interest in modern gaming after Quake 1, maybe Quake 2.

• I assume he meant Fusion 3.

I wouldn't say Fusion is the grandfather of 2D game engines sorry.

Gamemaker studio was originally Animo and released in 1999. 001engine released their 2D engine in 2001 so both were around before Fusion.

I cut my 2D teeth on 001 and sadly they pretty much abandoned that engine even with a good 3D plugin stopped doing updates which is when I started looking around and found C2 that also has a simplified event format for fast game design.

There were a few other 2D game engines for flash around before those I also tried. Before that when dinosaurs still roamed the earth there were lots of us old farts making games using BASIC and other languages. Oh and can't forget Dungeons and Dragons and all the non computer games we made.

Not sure who the grandfather of game design engines actually is because there has been so many over the years and some never even had a name and were never commercial products. Just something programmers (back when we actually programmed computers) used to pass around in forums.

• What happened with Director should be illegal.

People have to be able to continue using the latest version of software they paid for ( rent or no rent )

• All three provide visual scripting, offer a good 2d editor, and are being rewritten,...

Hmm...if Fusion 3 is anything like 2.5.....meh. Of course i haven't been following the development of Fusion3 that much. Probably because I just couldn't get into MMF's spreadsheet weirdness at all. So far nothing has comes close to the ease and and sensibility of C2 (development wise).....yet. However, like what was stated before, there are pros and cons to everything. And because of this i've also been taking a closer look at other stuff too lately.

• I foresee the future to be drag and drop 2D and 3D game creation.

You will choose from a plethora of of 2D or 3D characters and objects with pre-programmed but modifiable behaviors and effects and you will choose your layout, effects and scenery and type of game and just drop them in place and the engine does the rest.

No event scripting and just modify object settings for how you want them to behave.

We are to the point that is very possible now and I purchased a game engine a few years back that was doing that and had great potential but they lied about being able to share our games with other people and sell games so I stopped using the engine and I don't think it is even available any more.

Once we reach the point a good commercial 3D and 2D game can be created with just drag and drop then it will be a mad rush to create the best 2D and 3D objects.

I have been designing a sandbox type platform creator that is drag and drop using the C2 engine running in the background and you can create very playable platform games with no event or programming at all using that system.

That would open up game design to many more artists that have no interest in programming or writing events.

• Grandfather? For me it is Klik&Play, I used it so much back in mid 90s something. It is same company as the Fusion now and you can see similarity still.

And as for drag&drop game maker, it is too limiting in my humble opinion and would just make cookie cutter games. Again, in my opinion. Of course if you are going to make pretty graphics and have basic game idea that is same as existing then it will work.

But if you have novel idea (of new game style/engine) it will be very limiting quickly.

• I foresee the future to be drag and drop 2D and 3D game creation.

You will choose from a plethora of of 2D or 3D characters and objects with pre-programmed but modifiable behaviors and effects and you will choose your layout, effects and scenery and type of game and just drop them in place and the engine does the rest.

No event scripting and just modify object settings for how you want them to behave.

That would open up game design to many more artists that have no interest in programming or writing events.

Next thing you know is we'll have a game engine app that only requires you to push a button to make an awesome game and it'll do it. No other effort needed.

• I would say kliknplay to fusion 2.5 is the grandfather of construct2, and the paternal dad of construct classic.

• Grandfather? For me it is Klik&Play, I used it so much back in mid 90s something. It is same company as the Fusion now and you can see similarity still.

And as for drag&drop game maker, it is too limiting in my humble opinion and would just make cookie cutter games. Again, in my opinion. Of course if you are going to make pretty graphics and have basic game idea that is same as existing then it will work.

But if you have novel idea (of new game style/engine) it will be very limiting quickly.

Me too, I used klik n play when it was demo disc'd back in 94/95, I carried on with them thru click and create, the games factory and mmf1. I think fusion 3 will be something entirely new and satisfying.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads

What do you think you do with C2 but use built in effects and behaviors that they designed in?

You just set the effect and behaviors and the engine does the rest. You don't create new effects or behaviors in C2 just use them through the settings.

That is just a natural progression to where game design is headed.

• >

> I assume he meant Fusion 3.

>

>

>

I wouldn't say Fusion is the grandfather of 2D game engines sorry.

It's not the grandfather of 2d game engine, but it is the grandfather of the event sheet that construct is using - and visual programming in general

Heck, ashley even wrote plugins for it prior to creating construct.

Clickteam devs got upset when construct came out- with the obvious similarities. They got really butthurt and still are. This time around they are coming out with an editor and engine that takes care of all of the reasons people moved away from fusion to use construct .They have even stated on their forum that they will later this year reveal news about fusion3 that will make construct users happy. So you can see that they know about construct and are actively competing

Out of the three Godot is the one that is actually most powerful, but it is also the one that requires more investment of time to learn.

With the changes Juan added to gdscript, the language has become piss easy though- you can make a platformer movement with animations and input in about 40-50 lines of code.Godot devs don't give a crap about any of the other 2 engines, they just keep adding and fixing stuff

We can talk about it, but things will be most obvious when all three are out and about.

I believe that all three will be successful in their own way - construct3 may be driving away some users due to the licensing and the cloud, but in the process it will acquire new users that like that kinda stuff

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)