HTML5 subscription based engine?

From the Asset Store
Advanced inventory mechanics for your RPG game (Array-based). Take Items, split them, pick up them, read the description

We who sell our games on Steam are not really allowed to share any exact figures and cuts. So it is a bit hard to give you "solid proof".

And to be honest I really don't care. But I really don't see any point in lying about it.

Just my game on Steam has sold for a lot more than I made a year as a e-commerce manager here in Sweden so that much I can say and that is just a simple html5 game without any marketing whatsoever. But feel free to think whatever you want. I don't hold it against you And I wish you the best of luck with your future projects.

I'm not calling you a liar. I said I took your word, but I'd still would like to see where you are getting your information from. I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to know all the facts.

I vote for you to do it. Let Moot be the one to make a great game so we can all see his example and C2/C3's capabilities to be seen as anything other than hobbyist software! Hear, hear!

If it's not too obvious by my comments, I'm a hobbyist. Are you any good? Maybe you are up to the challenge. It wouldn't hurt to contact Scirra and offer your services. Show them some of the great games made by you. How could they turn you down?

As to my earlier point, take a look at Buildbox. It's engine is far less capable than C2, yet it has numerous games in the top 100 of the App Store. They created their own games, and said, "Look at what we can do with our software, you can do it too." And if you play any of their games, they are all pretty simple.

Someone not knowing anything about either game engine, would think Buildbox is far more successful and it would give them the best shot at making money.

Are you any good?

I'm not half bad honestly. Thanks for asking! But you got me...I use c2 to prototype and Unity for the actual 3d game. But the only reason I really do that is I can't use C2 for developing for the PS, Xbox and soon-to-be Switch shops in 3d. Construct is more than capable, but it takes capable devs who commit to it and then understand they're limiting themselves only to desktop and maybe mobile. Like I said, take up the challenge to show people what it can do. You are the one, after all, asking the questions. You don't plan to be a hobbyist forever, do you? If so, then it doesn't matter since it's perfectly capable of handling hobbyist needs.

> Are you any good?

>

I'm not half bad honestly. Thanks for asking! But you got me...I use c2 to prototype and Unity for the actual 3d game. But the only reason I really do that is I can't use C2 for developing for the PS, Xbox and soon-to-be Switch shops in 3d. Construct is more than capable, but it takes capable devs who commit to it and then understand they're limiting themselves only to desktop and maybe mobile. Like I said, take up the challenge to show people what it can do. You are the one, after all, asking the questions. You don't plan to be a hobbyist forever, do you? If so, then it doesn't matter since it's perfectly capable of handling hobbyist needs.

Asking a question doesn't mean I think I can do it better than anyone else here. If I thought I could do it, I wouldn't post a comment here. I'd contact them directly. But If you think you can do it, you should. You seem confident enough.

I do plan to remain a hobbyist forever. I work in advertising and most of what I do with C2 wouldn't really be considered "games." It's more like interactive media. And I don't really use C2 for a lot of it. I use Hype 3. So again, I'm not the best person for the job.

>

> > Are you any good?

> >

>

> I'm not half bad honestly. Thanks for asking! But you got me...I use c2 to prototype and Unity for the actual 3d game. But the only reason I really do that is I can't use C2 for developing for the PS, Xbox and soon-to-be Switch shops in 3d. Construct is more than capable, but it takes capable devs who commit to it and then understand they're limiting themselves only to desktop and maybe mobile. Like I said, take up the challenge to show people what it can do. You are the one, after all, asking the questions. You don't plan to be a hobbyist forever, do you? If so, then it doesn't matter since it's perfectly capable of handling hobbyist needs.

>

Asking a question doesn't mean I think I can do it better than anyone else here. If I thought I could do it, I wouldn't post a comment here. I'd contact them directly. But If you think you can do it, you should. You seem confident enough.

I do plan to remain a hobbyist forever. I work in advertising and most of what I do with C2 wouldn't really be considered "games." It's more like interactive media. And I don't really use C2 for a lot of it. I use Hype 3. So again, I'm not the best person for the job.

Well that's a fair enough point. I can't say I'm not up to creating a full 2d game in Construct but it has to wait until I get out this 2d/3d game in Unity. I may have the confidence, but I lack the time... for now But we'll see. I'll throw an idea around with my team and see if anyone bites.

Please keep it civil. I won't hesitate to close threads if people are calling each other liars or being unnecessarily passive-aggressive.

I should close this thread since a person is calling someone a liar and being unnecessarily passive-aggressive.

I fixed that for you, Ashley!

Please keep it civil. I won't hesitate to close threads if people are calling each other liars or being unnecessarily passive-aggressive.

And antagonistic.

> Please keep it civil. I won't hesitate to close threads if people are calling each other liars or being unnecessarily passive-aggressive.

>

And antagonistic.

You mean like your repeated use of "rounded corners" in every thread?

Someone said that the price model is similar to other engines? Hmm

Wrong!

Unity charges $35/Month which equals to the pro Version minus a bit. Unity 2019 proposes to reach more to Designers and Artists as mentioned in the last GDC. Therefore becoming much more present in the indie scene. Then Game Maker Studio 2 which is looking sweet by the minute. Personally I dislike how GM2 works though, but Unity is by far more organized.

Pricing for C3 is quite elevated taking into account no major game saw a big release with it. Now, I don't have a particular issue with the pricing, but hey, for a bit more I can get better.

So if Scirra would ask me for $99 per years or one time payment of $400 I would pay. If they would ask for royalties as Unreal do, heck I would pay!

But! ...

C3 is so far just a designer ala Apple version of C2 with not much substance. many of the changes could've been done on C2 for a price. Heck I would've paid for those changes.

Cosmetics changes and a few addons aren't enough to be worth the price asked for it. Seems to me Scirra is riding the ''easiest game engine'' around.

Yet, where are the awesome games made with it?

There's always mention of the same game and yet ironically the dev is going with another engine.

So in all respect, no, C3 can't compete with other engines by just changing minor things. Please just add the description: C3, game engine for mobile clones exclusively.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads

Unity charges $35/Month which equals to the pro Version minus a bit.

And after so many payments, it belongs to you.

Someone said that the price model is similar to other engines? Hmm

Wrong!

Unity charges $35/Month which equals to the pro Version minus a bit. Unity 2019 proposes to reach more to Designers and Artists as mentioned in the last GDC. Therefore becoming much more present in the indie scene. Then Game Maker Studio 2 which is looking sweet by the minute. Personally I dislike how GM2 works though, but Unity is by far more organized.

Pricing for C3 is quite elevated taking into account no major game saw a big release with it. Now, I don't have a particular issue with the pricing, but hey, for a bit more I can get better.

So if Scirra would ask me for $99 per years or one time payment of $400 I would pay. If they would ask for royalties as Unreal do, heck I would pay!

But! ...

C3 is so far just a designer ala Apple version of C2 with not much substance. many of the changes could've been done on C2 for a price. Heck I would've paid for those changes.

Cosmetics changes and a few addons aren't enough to be worth the price asked for it. Seems to me Scirra is riding the ''easiest game engine'' around.

Yet, where are the awesome games made with it?

There's always mention of the same game and yet ironically the dev is going with another engine.

So in all respect, no, C3 can't compete with other engines by just changing minor things. Please just add the description: C3, game engine for mobile clones exclusively.

There is no formula where big profit game= engine worth. It might equate to an inflated price at some point, but if it started out that way nothing would ever get made.

On the other hand, charging royalties just does not work unless you do have a bunch of hugely profitable games. No one could afford to pay collections to chase after hundreds of flappy bird clones that don't make that much to begin with.

Lastly $99 a year beats $35 a month by my figuring, but Im not saying all game engines are alike either.

In the end it all comes down to what you think its worth.

Closed. Be respectful and reasonable otherwise your discussion is not welcome on this forum. Start a new thread and keep to the forum rules if you wish to continue discussing this.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)