HTML5 subscription based engine?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Advanced inventory mechanics for your RPG game (Array-based). Take Items, split them, pick up them, read the description

What exactly is this for, no offense but HTML5 is not a compiled platform to start with. Why would anyone want to buy a service plan for an HTML5 editor?

I mean, can anyone name any big HTML5 games that make this profitable?

Is there a free version that has a forced splash screen? LIke unity?

What are the benefits to paying this subscription VS one time fee?

Read the blogs here: https://www.scirra.com/blog

You'll then know as much as anyone on the forum about C3. Wait till more information is available. Form an opinion.

In the meantime C2 is available to download and try in a free version.

I don't know the profit margins of the "big" games, but there are hundreds of games that have made a profit.

Or just make speculations now.

That seems to be the popular thing to do anyway.

Read the blogs here: https://www.scirra.com/blog

Or just make speculations now.

That seems to be the popular thing to do anyway.

The developers haven't given us much choice but to speculate.

The Construct 2 "big HTML5 games" are listed on the homepage. Outside the bubble, I don't think there are many "big" name games made with C2. A few people have claimed to make a living from HTML5 games, but they never really offered any proof. Maybe they do.

Is there a free version that has a forced splash screen? LIke unity?

There's a free version of C2 and I think they said there will be a free version of C3. Neither will be like Unity. Why do people care about forced splash screens anyway? I haven't played a AAA game that didn't have a splash screen. Are people embarrassed of the C2 logo or something?

What are the benefits to paying this subscription VS one time fee?

The benefits to you are speculative and explained on their blog. Scirra stands to make more money with a subscription model. Users will pay every year to use their software and continue to pay if they want be able to edit and publish the games they make with C3 for the foreseeable future. Before with C2, a person could pay once for it, start a project, not touch it for a few years and then come back to it to finish it. With C3, you will have to pay for the software again.

Yeah no speculation needed for the subscription model.

Its service based, meaning you don't own the software, just pay the time to use it.

A lot of users are upset about that, but in the end the price should average out compared to what you pay to use other similar engines.

Speaking of but in the end, the term "butthurt" comes to mind.

Im sure someone calling themselves Moot, would be able to explain that one.

These type of posts are getting pretty tiresome. Asking if it is even possible to make money from a HTML5 game? Why wouldn't it?

You could easily make an exact clone of many hit games like hotline miami to name one. So it has more to do with the developers here and not the engine. So if someone here came up with and could market such a game then you would have a giant c2 hit game.

There are tons of big companies that makes a fortune out of html5 products. You can make games, banners and websites to make money with C2.

So to say that you can't make a profit out of C2 is just ignorance and lack of experience...

I will happily subscribe for a business license of C3. And like all my softwares C2 is awesome for some things and other engines are good at something else. No engine is perfect for everything.

But in the end. There is no limitation of c2 that makes it impossible to become a millionaire. It just takes a good developer to do it.

And $99 a year is less than a netflix subscribtion for god sake

No need for me to explain it. Your response to me is a good enough example. Well done.

These type of posts are getting pretty tiresome. Asking if it is even possible to make money from a HTML5 game? Why wouldn't it?

You could easily make an exact clone of many hit games like hotline miami to name one. So it has more to do with the developers here and not the engine. So if someone here came up with and could market such a game then you would have a giant c2 hit game.

There are tons of big companies that makes a fortune out of html5 products. You can make games, banners and websites to make money with C2.

So to say that you can't make a profit out of C2 is just ignorance and lack of experience...

I will happily subscribe for a business license of C3. And like all my softwares C2 is awesome for some things and other engines are good at something else. No engine is perfect for everything.

But in the end. There is no limitation of c2 that makes it impossible to become a millionaire. It just takes a good developer to do it.

And $99 a year is less than a netflix subscribtion for god sake

Not saying you can't make money from HTML5. I'm just skeptical that a lot of people make a living using C2 to make games. If there are companies that make a fortune, perhaps provide some examples. The more you come up with, the stronger your point will be. If you can't though, that's fine too. I'm not really expecting you to be be able to defend any criticism of C2 or the subscription model. A criticism of C2 is not a criticism of you.

Edit: Btw, I really like C2. That doesn't mean I'm blind to these things.

C2 has been a great hobbyist tool for me. With it I do contract work that has paid for over 100 years' worth of C3 license fees.

Making money selling games is very difficult, but for me, at least, contract work provides a much more steady income. This contract work would not have been possible without C2.

Yeah no speculation needed for the subscription model.

Its service based, meaning you don't own the software, just pay the time to use it.

A lot of users are upset about that, but in the end the price should average out compared to what you pay to use other similar engines.

Must feel important to be single-handedly leading the charge (and with such eloquent and elaborate wit, as always). Not even Tom and Ash defend themselves or their product like you can.

Must feel important to be single-handedly leading the charge (and with such eloquent and elaborate wit, as always). Not even Tom and Ash defend themselves or their product like you can.

Heheh. He tries really hard. I'll give him that.

I think we pretty much answered Mr. BereLaDD33 questions as honest as possible. Mr. cjbruce said he made around $10,000 over the years using C2, which is nice. And If Mr. Anonnymitet can give some example of people who make a fortune off of C2, great. If not, no problem. I believe Mr. BereLaDD33 has a good enough picture now.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads

Moot I understand that you are sceptical. Here in Sweden html5 is widely used by almost every major company and therefore we have tons of companies that produce and sell html5 products. I won't make a list but it should be a no brainer to understand that this market is pretty big. And Sweden is far from the only country.

I have my own studio here in Sweden and I can make a good living out of my html5 products.

So yes, html5 has its drawbacks with compability issues on consoles and 3rd party wrappers but that doesn't stop you from making a lot of money with it.

Moot I understand that you are sceptical. Here in Sweden html5 is widely used by almost every major company and therefore we have tons of companies that produce and sell html5 products. I won't make a list but it should be a no brainer to understand that this market is pretty big. And Sweden is far from the only country.

I have my own studio here in Sweden and I can make a good living out of my html5 products.

So yes, html5 has its drawbacks with compability issues on consoles and 3rd party wrappers but that doesn't stop you from making a lot of money with it.

I'll take you at your word, but you are not really offering any proof.

Back to an earlier point that there are few hit games made with C2, why doesn't Scirra make their own games, or commission some talent to do it? That's really what is going to sell this engine. A promise you can make great games and possibly earn a living isn't enough. People need to see examples. Until then, Construct will always be seen as hobby software.

> Moot I understand that you are sceptical. Here in Sweden html5 is widely used by almost every major company and therefore we have tons of companies that produce and sell html5 products. I won't make a list but it should be a no brainer to understand that this market is pretty big. And Sweden is far from the only country.

>

> I have my own studio here in Sweden and I can make a good living out of my html5 products.

>

> So yes, html5 has its drawbacks with compability issues on consoles and 3rd party wrappers but that doesn't stop you from making a lot of money with it.

>

I'll take you at your word, but you are not really offering any proof.

Back to an earlier point that there are few hit games made with C2, why doesn't Scirra make their own games, or commission some talent to do it? That's really what is going to sell this engine. A promise you can make great games and possibly earn a living isn't enough. People need to see examples. Until then, Construct will always be seen as hobby software.

I vote for you to do it. Let Moot be the one to make a great game so we can all see his example and C2/C3's capabilities to be seen as anything other than hobbyist software! Hear, hear!

We who sell our games on Steam are not really allowed to share any exact figures and cuts. So it is a bit hard to give you "solid proof".

And to be honest I really don't care. But I really don't see any point in lying about it.

Just my game on Steam has sold for a lot more than I made a year as a e-commerce manager here in Sweden so that much I can say and that is just a simple html5 game without any marketing whatsoever. But feel free to think whatever you want. I don't hold it against you And I wish you the best of luck with your future projects.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)