Frankly, Whats the point of c3?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Connect the dots in the correct order and draw happy animals!
  • >

> > Well there you go folks.

> > Another reason they don't share is that the members get to call them greedy, but people get all triggered if they respond as negatively.

> > The positive side to that is that those members will go away.

> > Of course those that can't deal with it will stick around to try to disrupt things.

> > Or is that already happening?

> >

>

> You do realise you are in the minority of actually being pro-subscription, don't you? I'm not sure what kind of brownie points you're trying to score here?

>

I'm not pro anything.

Just anti-hypocrisy.

Okay, shoot. How are we hypocrites?

• newt

watch this (Financial Summary)

https://www.companiesintheuk.co.uk/ltd/scirra

Believe me they are not poor, they have been doing very well selling software

There was no reason to switch to subscriptions model

Just to win more money

But wanting to win more money can lose everything

• > Haven't seen anything that particularly stands out as a major improvement yet! Most of the updates I've seen are hardly blog worthy

>

Still roughly a month left (if everything goes according to schedule) of more features to roll out before we finally get to try the beta. But I kinda agree, nothing quite mind blowing yet aside from some much needed enhancements that was already expected (well a couple of new things did interest me..). Initially the main draw for me was finally being able to develop on the Mac....but this past week I got tired of waiting and got a new PC laptop to replace my aging MacBook Pro so thats no longer an issue. But i'm still waiting to see if Scirra is just holding off for the big home run at the end of the month right before beta to blow everyone's mind out. Or....maybe there isn't one at all .

Yeah you could be right and I hope you are, because I've always enjoyed using C2. But it's certainly going to take something much better than they've shown us so far, if they hope to convince me that C3 is worth the subscription fee! Particularly when there are some better products out there, which are free to use.

Anyway lets wait and see what they've got left to wow us with!

• Please tread carefully, folks.

Some posts are skimming the 'no personal attacks' rule a little too closely.

Cheers

• I got the impression C3 came into being because C2's editor was too tangled up with an outdated codebase or somesuch. So, to get rid of that limitation they had to rewrite the whole thing. I was perfectly happy to pay full price again for an editor overhaul, but now that it turns out to be subscription-based (wha??) I'll be needing some hefty incentives to switch from C2.

The Construct community simply isn't the right market for this kind of payment model. Businesses will just roll with it, but hobbyists won't. Unity ltd recognizes this with their pay-to-own variant. Keeps hobbyists satisfied knowing they can "own" the software if they wish while businesses will keep on subscribing for updates and support regardless.

• When users with promising projects begin to dislike the direction of the engine, I think it should be taken into account.

In my years of experience in game companies changes were made to make the community happy, after all, companies wouldn't survive without a user base.

In this case, I was quite optimistic using C2 and quite happy with Scirra work, but their lack of response to my comments made me believe that they simply dont care about their user base.

During GDC Unity announced Unity 2017 and promised features for Artists and Designers which leads me to go into that direction if changes arent made sadly. It represents a lot of work in the current state but business are business.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • [quote:1qek2gc9]Random idea ( U know what would be awesome ?, Scirra to make a unity plugin with their visual approach charging 150 per year. No problem there. I would happily depend on unity's devs faults rather than ludei, intel etc..)

This is not too random at all, look what other users did when they didn't like the editor in Gamemaker they made their own:

http://parakeet-ide.org/

[quote:1qek2gc9]When users with promising projects begin to dislike the direction of the engine, I think it should be taken into account.

True dat

• When users with promising projects begin to dislike the direction of the engine, I think it should be taken into account.

In my years of experience in game companies changes were made to make the community happy, after all, companies wouldn't survive without a user base.

In this case, I was quite optimistic using C2 and quite happy with Scirra work, but their lack of response to my comments made me believe that they simply dont care about their user base.

During GDC Unity announced Unity 2017 and promised features for Artists and Designers which leads me to go into that direction if changes arent made sadly. It represents a lot of work in the current state but business are business.

Hi Fraktal

I don't know if It's ethical to say it here but the C3's dissapointment was enough to start learning Unity and I have to say that I'm amazed with this engine already. It's way more complex but It's not super hard. With enough will and patient I can learn it. Also It can natively export to any platform you can imagine and It's free until you generate $100k per year.

Seriously, based on all of this the only reason someone wouldn't make the transition to unity is the lack of will to learn c# and Unity and they do an amazing job in this subject by teaching us through great official tutorials for complete beginners.

If you want a partner to discuss it and help each other feel free to send me a PM.

• I have a similar feeling. I'm not against the pricing and the devs have plans to offer a desktop version later, but yeah, even though I like the features announced up till now, I was hoping for some advanced features (timelines, empty game object, parenting, etc.)

After praising C2 and trying to shove it to friends and employers, I feel I cannot stand behind it for much longer. I've actively started looking for a replacement. Not Unity but something similar, like Godot and Superpowers. I really really like the event editor and I don't think I can ever find a replacement for that.

I will no doubt buy the first year though to see where C2 is heading.

I do agree that if the event editor was a separate scripting language plugin it could be a popular alternative to something like blocky.

• C2 had lots of things added over it's life time, that were still in need of refinement, but never got it - pay a sub for half-baked additions?

Chrome is always adding little bugs here and there that eventually may get fixed but definitely not when you need it to be fixed - pay a sub to rely on Chrome?

Most hobbyists hate to rent tools - subs a good idea?

The way C3 is being marketed - nothing jumping out as a must have yet. From the current blogs I get the feeling that C3 is just C2 ported to a browser with a few teaks that should have been added to C2 anyway.

So not wowed at all - I thinks it would be better to just tell us everything there is to know about this new tool, instead of playing this weird slow leak game.

But anyway best of luck to Scirra.

• I completely agree. For work we use Unity. And in my previous job I used Unity. I also had some experience with Unreal 3 and just a bit of 4.

But at that time ( like 2-3 years ago) I started with C2 since I never had time (often lots of overtime in game companies) to learn programming in-depth.

Now I got much more time and honestly Unity seems like a much better option so far. What bothers me is having to redo a lot of the work from past 2-3 years.

By the way, hope to see more updates from your project!

• I notice Fusion 3 with have the ability to make:

• Extensions using events (no coding)
    • Extensions that are open, written in C and "wrapped" to latch onto the fusion nucleus, thus avoiding the need for the developer to port to multiple platforms
    • Extensions that are proprietary closed binaries as they have always been.

And with one-time payment. Beat that.

• whoisda

Fusion 3 will have an event editor very similar to C2

In fact Fusion 2.5 already has Event List Editor but in vertical

In Fusion 3 it will be horizontal like the one of C2

Fusion 3 is going to be the best alternative, maybe GMS2

• I notice Fusion 3 with have the ability to make:

• Extensions that are open, written in C and "wrapped" to latch onto the fusion nucleus, thus avoiding the need for the developer to port to multiple platforms

And with one-time payment. Beat that.

You have made your point clear over several topics. Yiou are risking credibility by over repeating yourself. No offense.

• > I notice Fusion 3 with have the ability to make:

>

>
    • >
    • >

>

> And with one-time payment. Beat that.

>

You have made your point clear over several topics. Yiou are risking credibility by over repeating yourself. No offense.

Fair enough, I'll save it next time. By the way, I'm not aware I have much credibility worth saving

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)