Frankly, Whats the point of c3?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Connect the dots in the correct order and draw happy animals!
  • I read the blog this afternoon about the "sprite and animations" editor in C3 and got very excited about it. We cannot deny the fact that there are many improvements over C2.

Using Construct 3 in a browser alone will be a true bargain for me. Nothing to install and you can work at every computer with internet.

I am sure over the next months, there will come a lot of new exciting announcements from Scirra. Can't wait!!!

The "new" animation editor is nice and all, but I would never use a built-in graphics editor that is as limited as the one on show. As a matter of fact, I have never used the built-in graphics editor of Construct before, except for things like collision shapes, origins and animation frames. Why re-invent the wheel when there exists multitudes of far better image editors for free or a small fee?

I think putting effort in an actual animation timeline that supports animating all properties as well as firing functions/actions would be of far greater use to all C3 users.

I fail to see the point of this. The devs stated they will rely on products like Spriter for cut-out animation support, but feel it is a good idea to build their own built-in image editor? I do not understand the logic.

Oh wait, I suppose when editing in Android or iOS it would make sense. But much better pixel art editors are available for those platform as well.

• > I read the blog this afternoon about the "sprite and animations" editor in C3 and got very excited about it. We cannot deny the fact that there are many improvements over C2.

> ...

>

The "new" animation editor is nice and all, but I would never use a built-in graphics editor that is as limited as the one on show. As a matter of fact, I have never used the built-in graphics editor of Construct before, except for things like collision shapes, origins and animation frames.

I'd like to add that manipulating C2-related data is my primary reason for the using the editor; indeed, things like, collision shapes, and image points, things that can't be done otherwise (except through caproj editing). Unfortunately, there are workflow issues with C2 in regards to applying functions over a number of frames. For example, I'd like to 'Guess collision shape' over the whole animation sequence. Or perhaps I'd like to set a particular image point based on a unique pixel value based of another sequence, or perhaps through an ascii file. I don't believe there is a way to do this currently.

But from my pov, if C3 doesn't do specific things out-of-the-box, it's really ok with me. But my big question, the one I've been anticipating since I was aware of C3 is this 'editor SDK'. So far, the only hint to an 'SDK' (or 'SDK' like idea) is being able to change CSS to theme C3. But my expectation of an 'editor SDK' is certainly much higher, and will allow hooks into editor functions. If this were the case, as I hope it would be, then it opens up the editor to so much potential functionality that the current featured capabilities being written about will pale in comparison.

• For what it's worth, I think that if Ashley had shared with the community the process of deciding to go with the route he did while he was figuring things out, opinions would be more optimistic.

At least a little blog post here or there would have been nice.

• newt True. It's like he looked at all that feature ideas made by users over the past years and decide to go in the opposite way.

Seriously, "new ellipse drawing tool" one of the most important new options added to the editor that needs mentioning in the blog... And not a single word about editing animations, image points or collision polys. All, theoretically simplest things to do are most complicated or even impossible to do in C2 and probably C3 - you can't copy a collision poly from one frame to few selected different ones. You have to redraw them all one by one.

And like always when we talk about image editor... I just leave it here: Things about Image editor still valid... After all those years, damn.

• Whats the point of c3?

Trying to stay in business seems to be about the top and tail of it, from what I can tell.

• shinkan Yeah, even if we didn't get to decide what was to happen with C2, at least I felt privy to the reasonings.

Then again with the posts like "Trying to stay in business seems to be about the top and tail of it, from what I can tell.", I can see why he might not appreciate all of the communities input.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Random idea ( U know what would be awesome ?, Scirra to make a unity plugin with their visual approach charging 150 per year. No problem there. I would happily depend on unity's devs faults rather than ludei, intel etc..)

that would be awesome! :O +100 on this brilliant idea! while many have tried... none came close...! there are some plugins that enables"visual scripting" but its like the U4 module scripting.. which is heavy... clunky... and its stop being good to work with at some point in a large project! and here im talking about : plugins like game something something, and scripting something something forgot their names... but they where largely marketed by users like "wow never seen this before."

however back to main post concerns, the OP is right, the feeling of C3 being at this point shown as a C2.5 or C2 update... its true... we still have to wait the ground breaking updates! and even if they wont come... i will say as before... i wont go to C3 unless is definitely changed(OP said the most problems C2 has which i agree with) ... and not just "facelifted". (P.S plus i hate subscriptions... i already got mobile payments, bank payments... now comes C2 payments? .... ridiculous... id say as before... give us opportunity to pay in advanced for 10 years with a discount... i would pay 1500 bucks just to not have to pay each year... is just i hate to know i have to pay something at the end of year to use it ... and bank account handling is nuts .... cause you never know if at end of the year the C2 license payment u saved it will be there when time comes ...(and here are various reasons... urgency costs, bank costs, some idea that you use the cash for something u really need at the time then u basically mess up with C2 license ... )

However... responding to the title of thread.... point of C3?

from my point of view and others... is just another product... so the scirra business to live on in the end its a business that needs to survive... and if i look at it as a business its a great move.

and i would definitely buy it from that point of view... but ... again my ego beats the best of me.

however other people that dont think like me, i do encourage to buy C3 it will be a great software to have! all the features displayed in updates, are awesome, even with the core of it being same as C2 ... it will still be a better software. so would worth it!

• > Random idea ( U know what would be awesome ?, Scirra to make a unity plugin with their visual approach charging 150 per year. No problem there. I would happily depend on unity's devs faults rather than ludei, intel etc..)[/size]

>

Random idea, my butt I already stated this idea in another C3 thread.

Lol, I would buy it in a heart beat. I really do like c2's event editor for alot of things!

• shinkan Yeah, even if we didn't get to decide what was to happen with C2, at least I felt privy to the reasonings.

Then again with the posts like "Trying to stay in business seems to be about the top and tail of it, from what I can tell.", I can see why he might not appreciate all of the communities input.

Well, that's catch-22.

• Haven't seen anything that particularly stands out as a major improvement yet! Most of the updates I've seen are hardly blog worthy

Still roughly a month left (if everything goes according to schedule) of more features to roll out before we finally get to try the beta. But I kinda agree, nothing quite mind blowing yet aside from some much needed enhancements that was already expected (well a couple of new things did interest me..). Initially the main draw for me was finally being able to develop on the Mac....but this past week I got tired of waiting and got a new PC laptop to replace my aging MacBook Pro so thats no longer an issue. But i'm still waiting to see if Scirra is just holding off for the big home run at the end of the month right before beta to blow everyone's mind out. Or....maybe there isn't one at all .

• > Haven't seen anything that particularly stands out as a major improvement yet! Most of the updates I've seen are hardly blog worthy

>

Still roughly a month left (if everything goes according to schedule) of more features to roll out before we finally get to try the beta. But I kinda agree, nothing quite mind blowing yet aside from some much needed enhancements that was already expected (well a couple of new things did interest me..). Initially the main draw for me was finally being able to develop on the Mac....but this past week I got tired of waiting and got a new PC laptop to replace my aging MacBook Pro so thats no longer an issue. But i'm still waiting to see if Scirra is just holding off for the big home run at the end of the month right before beta to blow everyone's mind out. Or....maybe there isn't one at all .

I'm still waiting for a $1,000-a-decade feature, plenty of minor version updates, though. All of which i'd gladly have paid a customary yearly update fee for.

• The point of C3, is to catch people in a subscriptions system where you will never have the software on property (it's a rental) so when in a few years when C4 is released if you want to continue using the software either C3 or C4 you have to keep paying and paying, paying for the same software with a few changes ... this is what is C3, C2 with a few improvements keeping the same drawbacks

Summarizing ... pure and hard greed

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe the subscriptions system is due to the fear they have because the tools are getting better and already has little room for improvement ...

There will come a day when they will not be able to justify the purchase of a new product because this will not bring many improvements over the previous one (C4?)

So they ensure that if you want to continue using the software you must pay and pay

With C3 you will not be able to consider not updating to the next version for a while, and to continue working without paying, you must continue paying if you want to continue using it with all its operative functions

When in all those years you have paid as if you had bought it

If you had bought the software you could continue working until you considered updating

• Well there you go folks.

Another reason they don't share is that the members get to call them greedy, but people get all triggered if they respond as negatively.

The positive side to that is that those members will go away.

Of course those that can't deal with it will stick around to try to disrupt things.

Or is that already happening?

• Well there you go folks.

Another reason they don't share is that the members get to call them greedy, but people get all triggered if they respond as negatively.

The positive side to that is that those members will go away.

Of course those that can't deal with it will stick around to try to disrupt things.

Or is that already happening?

You do realise you are in the minority of actually being pro-subscription, don't you? I'm not sure what kind of brownie points you're trying to score here?

• > Well there you go folks.

> Another reason they don't share is that the members get to call them greedy, but people get all triggered if they respond as negatively.

> The positive side to that is that those members will go away.

> Of course those that can't deal with it will stick around to try to disrupt things.

> Or is that already happening?

>

You do realise you are in the minority of actually being pro-subscription, don't you? I'm not sure what kind of brownie points you're trying to score here?

I'm not pro anything.

Just anti-hypocrisy.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)