Controller rumble, gamepad vibration, is now in Chrome

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Small pixel icons for the 3 most popular controller types.
  • Anyone know if rumble/vibration is supported yet in chrome, what it's current status is? It's been so many years!

• Looks like it's currently in development for Chrome: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=749295

• It should be enabled by default in Chromium 68 (waiting for Chrome Beta update to confirm this).

If everything goes smoothly we should see support for this in Chrome Stable by the end of July.

(If you want to test it out now, just install Chrome Canary, go to our testing website and you'll notice that it works by default. The dev behind it was nice enough to actually split that feature from the Gamepad Extensions Flag and create a separate Gamepad Vibration Flag, which is always enabled by default.)

• It's working for me with my Xbone controller! PS4 controller does nothing yet.

• Ive seen a few articles that suggest Direct Input (I think which is used by dual shock and older joypads) is not supported and that only "standard" xinput as used in xbox controllers and most new controllers is supported. but I cant see anything on the official gamepad web api site confirming.

also although xbox controller have 2 motors weak and strong many controller only have a single motor which may be mapped to weak or strong or both.

• It's working for me with my Xbone controller! PS4 controller does nothing yet.

This is an ongoing thing from what I could understand. They'll probably keep updating it like the rest of their gamepad API's but mostly on the side without any major announcements (probably when they start focusing on VR controller support again).

If you or anyone else reading this would like to release a game on Steam, just use the "Partial Controller Support" tag to be on the safe side of things. It's always a slippery slope with gamepad support on the Web.

• Last I checked Sony did not release a gamepad driver for Windows, essentially deliberately not supporting PS4 controllers on Windows. So to support it out of the box I think the browser would need to reverse-engineer the controller driver, which might be a big job.

• Last I checked Sony did not release a gamepad driver for Windows, essentially deliberately not supporting PS4 controllers on Windows. So to support it out of the box I think the browser would need to reverse-engineer the controller driver, which might be a big job.

That's right but I've seen software which was using a "wrapped" version of DS4 (input emulator).

It's possible to support PS4 controllers out of the box but I doubt that Chromium would be interested in implementing a 3rd party solution into their browser.

• Would it be worth it to open up an issue/feature request to get PS4 Controller support in Chrome with DS4 Source Code as a reference? Any opinions?

• Hi all, what about analog controllers, like Logitech or Asian nonames(https://www.bestadvisor.com/controllers-for-pc-gaming) how to be with them?

• I don't know if rumble is working at all at the moment?

I'm using a Xbone controller with blue tooth but no feedback at all.

TheRealDannyyy I tried using your example in chrome and firefox, and my own game, but I can't get rumble to work.

I can't remember if I had to install anything for my PS4 controller, I just connect it with bluetooth and it recognizes the controller fine!

• TheRealDannyyy I tried using your example in chrome and firefox, and my own game, but I can't get rumble to work.

Make sure you use the latest version of Chrome/NWjs (only those browsers support it).

I'm not sure if Xbone works but if it's recognized it should. Can you list exactly what gamepads you used and how? I'll try to report it as a bug, directly to them.

• TheRealDannyyy

Strangely, the Ps4 controller and Xbone controller both work identically but the rumble is only felt when I plug a USB cord into one of them.

Here is what your site calls my white PS4 gamepad:

I use the controller with bluetooth, tried rumble and it says it did something but I feel nothing. Then I plug in the cable and rumble works. Input works fine either way, it's only rumble that seems to care about being connected with cable.

My Xbone controller just gets called "Xbox 360 controller (Xinput standard gamepad)" in your app.

I realized the reason it wasn't working in my game at all (NWJS) was because I was telling it to vibrate gamepad 0 (my PS4 controller) when I was actually using gamepad 1 (xbone controller with USB), but when I changed the code to tell it to vibrate gamepad 1 it works good with USB!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • TheRealDannyyy

Strangely, the Ps4 controller and Xbone controller both work identically but the rumble is only felt when I plug a USB cord into one of them.

Here is what your site calls my white PS4 gamepad:

I use the controller with bluetooth, tried rumble and it says it did something but I feel nothing. Then I plug in the cable and rumble works. Input works fine either way, it's only rumble that seems to care about being connected with cable.

My Xbone controller just gets called "Xbox 360 controller (Xinput standard gamepad)" in your app.

I realized the reason it wasn't working in my game at all (NWJS) was because I was telling it to vibrate gamepad 0 (my PS4 controller) when I was actually using gamepad 1 (xbone controller with USB), but when I changed the code to tell it to vibrate gamepad 1 it works good with USB!

I don't know it sounds a bit wonky. Just to make sure it isn't user error or something going wrong with the website, could you try it out in Construct 3 itself?

It should be pretty straight forward with the rumble action inside the gamepad plugin.

• TheRealDannyyy To be clearer, what I found is this:

✔️ When a controller (e.g. PS4 or Xbone controller) is plugged in with USB, rumble works!

❌ When a controller (e.g. PS4 or Xbone controller) is using BlueTooth, input will work normally, but rumble does NOT work!

This is true for both Chrome and Construct 3 NWJS.

I don't know if this is a bug or it's just that rumble is impossible with BlueTooth on Windows.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)