compiling / testing C3 project in xcode (tutorial?)

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
From the Asset Store
With this template you can create your own archer game and customize it however you want.
  • Hi there, I downloaded an xcode project without much trouble and it did build successfully, but i don't know how to open a simulator to see how well it runs or ultimately get that build out to an ipa to publish.

I know there are tutorials on xcode in general, but it seemed appropriate to have a clear step by step for C3 users who are likely unfamiliar with Xcode..

Thanks,

Caleb

• On the top left of xcode, next to the "play" and "stop" buttons there's a small drop down that allows you to select a device. This can be either a connected device, a "build only" device or a simulator. Select a simulator and hit the play button. You'll then have to wait a few minutes for the sim to start up after the build completes, it'll appear as a black screen with the apple icon on while it's starting up. Be patient with it! Once the simulator is running you can run and launch things much faster, but if you close the simulator you'll have to wait through the start up procedure again.

If your simulator is appearing massive or cut off you can change the size of the simulator by going to "window" > "scale" on the top menu.

• ok i went and downloaded a 10.3 and 9.3 simulator. they were not downloaded, but nothing ever said this, i had to go poke around. Installing them didn't make any difference.

I do the build but no simulator launches. I connect my iOS device (iphone 5s) and it also doesn't push to the phone.

i have the latest OSX and xcode. it says build succeeds and gives me a time stamp.. but as you know there are a LOT of settings in there i could just tinker with but at the expense of preventing the app from ever launching..

Are there any special steps needed? how do we submit an app to the app store this way?

• The build progress should switch to "attaching to iPhone 7 simulator" and then the simulator will appear.Do you have the correct target and device selected? The target should be the name of your project NOT CordovaLib.

Yeah xcode is... let's say complicated. It has a lot of moving parts, and producing a build is quite complicated. To push a build onto a device you need a developer account ( think that's around 90 dollars ). Sign into xcode (downloading certs in the process). You then need to generate a provisioning profile specific to your application which includes the uuid of your testing device, and then build using that provisioning profile to your device.

That's the simplified version of testing only, creating an IPA / publishing to the store is more involved.

• yea mine is pointing to cordovalib.. that was what it was set to when i opened it. How do I change it? I look at selecting things and without just flat out shooting in the dark, i'm not sure what would be the right thing to do.

I'm an apple developer I have published games with C2 before, just never using C3/xcode. I signed in as my developer account. I haven't done any mobileprovisioning / certs for this yet because i don't know how it would be done in xcode, but i wasn't sure it's even necessary to do all that to run a simulator.

in the past i used cocoonIO or XDK and the application loader to upload to itunesconnect. However you bring up a great point that there are new users who will want to publish to iOS and Scirra should really take a little time and explain step by step how users of their product (now subscribers who have paid them money for this, not freeloaders who don't have iOS as an option) because it's important that customers not feel like they are on their own to figure this out.

Thanks you also Nepeo for sharing your insight! I'm doing this because as it stands C3 is publishing very poor performing cordova APK's for android so I figured I'd see if iOS is any better.

• yea mine is pointing to cordovalib.. that was what it was set to when i opened it. How do I change it? I look at selecting things and without just flat out shooting in the dark, i'm not sure what would be the right thing to do.

I'm an apple developer I have published games with C2 before, just never using C3/xcode. I signed in as my developer account. I haven't done any mobileprovisioning / certs for this yet because i don't know how it would be done in xcode, but i wasn't sure it's even necessary to do all that to run a simulator.

in the past i used cocoonIO or XDK and the application loader to upload to itunesconnect. However you bring up a great point that there are new users who will want to publish to iOS and Scirra should really take a little time and explain step by step how users of their product (now subscribers who have paid them money for this, not freeloaders who don't have iOS as an option) because it's important that customers not feel like they are on their own to figure this out.

Thanks you also Nepeo for sharing your insight! I'm doing this because as it stands C3 is publishing very poor performing cordova APK's for android so I figured I'd see if iOS is any better.

+10

Will be nice to see tutorials and steps to how to test or publish to the different C3 options, especially for the people that they never published ever before like me.

• I've managed to get my Construct 3 game compiled to my iPad but when I try to start it I can't get past the Construct loading screen, it's stuck at around 90-95 %. Has anyone else experienced this? FYI I'm trying to run the game on an iPad Air 2.

• Yes considering that we have to pay to become able to make iOS/Android builds it makes it frustrating to face basic problems like this. I have a game that's ready to test and soon ready to ship but I can't publish because 1. poor performance on cordova builds and so far unable to publish to iOS at all until this is resolved.

Hey regarding the launch issue with iPad2 are you minifying? try making a build without minifying.. i had trouble with apps not launching on android when i minified but unminified would load as it should. Different platforms i realize but similar issue of the app loading and hanging during launch.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Yes considering that we have to pay to become able to make iOS/Android builds it makes it frustrating to face basic problems like this.

Hey regarding the launch issue with iPad2 are you minifying? try making a build without minifying..

Nope, not minifying.

They have not done a "full scale launch" yet, I'm confident all bugs will be squashed pretty soon.

• true but you can see how it become a conflict when you are selling something before it's done.. i know they are doing their best but seems like open beta / free might be fair.. i mean as it is basically you can't monetize it on mobile.. android ports are low fps and xcode version doesn't work either.. i'm pretty much wasting time from my subscription now being unable to use it to publish a product. I'm not saying they are evil. I'm still stoked about C3.. I'm just eager to produce games with it.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)