Can we trust Scirra?

0 favourites
  • I know I'm new here. I've bought, experimented, and played with many game making programs. I am getting my feet wet with C2 as we speak. From everything I read. Scirra has been pretty straight forward as to what they offer. So far, I am impressed with C2. I always say use the software that is the easiest to use and gets the job done. I am a windows and xbox one developer as well. I voted for C3 to port to Xbox One. That would be great. As far as I am aware, HTML5 will only use one processing core, if you were to create a game and launch it on Xbox One, you probably will only have access to one processing core. Does that matter? Does your game require more processing power? Many questions exist when you make a game. Everything I have read leads to a lot of great things coming in the future with C3. It appears the creator's of C2 and the future of C3 are active. The forums are super active. I have been very impressed with the community. Keep giving the creators of C2/C3 advice. Let them know what you want, what you need and keep supporting each other as a community and I believe the question of Trust will be answered. Monetization is a big thing. They should be aware of this for C3. To build an Xbox One game you will need a Xbox Live account. That's about 60 dollars a year. There are a lot of costs that can arise as you develop games for many systems. That's the price of doing business. A subscription based pricing system is not that big of a deal considering all the costs involved while launching games on multiple systems. Overall, I'm impressed with the community and the product and I am very happy to have joined this community. I vote in Trust Scirra.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Hi ASHLEY.

It would be a huge relief to me, and many others Im sure, if Scirra could maintain plugins for GoogePlay and GameCenter achievements / leaderboards, to bring those plugins under the umbrella of 'officially maintained Scirra plugins' alongside the updated iAP and Ads plugins for C3.

You mention you could consider updating the GameCenter plugin in the future. I would ask you to please follow through on that and to also update the GooglePlay plugin as well. Id be prepared to pay for additional GameCenter / GooglePlay plugins if you sold them separately in the Store or something. To me it would be worth the extra cost if they were going to be reliably maintained. I feel like im in a precarious position using Cranberrygame's plugins for iAP, GooglePlay / GameCenter connectivity and Ads... because they may not work in future.

For the record, while I agree it's a pain setting up the iAP and Achievements / Leaderboards stuff on the GooglePlay / GameCenter Dashboards, in my case that's not what stopped me from using the official C2 plugins. It was that they don't work as the documentation says they are supposed to. In my recent experience, this was true for both the official iAP and GameCenter plugins. I tested the official C2 iAP plugin extensively. I followed tutorial to the tee with no success. It seemed the 'has product' condition failed. So I was forced into relying on third party plugins for these core functionalities.

Ashley, please listen to what Artpunk has just said. Both GameCenter and GooglePlay plugins are very important because achievement and leaderboard are a must when releasing game on Android and IOS.

The IAP is currently broken. Here is a bug report I posted a long time ago . Admob also does not work when following the method in the manual.

I would also pay money if these plugins will be maintained.

• I love the new direction C3 is heading but without plugins for GameCenter and GooglePlay I don't know If it will be the best choice to go for professional mobile game development.

Having the new exporter and keeping everything in your Construct ecosystem is an amazing idea, but how do you expect users to publish games on iOS/Android without the most basic functionalities?

It is evident that all those plugins should have been available already and Scirra should instead focus on researching what Ad Network, Analytics and Cross-Promo plugins to integrate.

Ashley Please correct me if I'm wrong

Thanks

P.S. I admire the work you've already done in C3 keep it up! I know its unrealistic but I would definitely pay extra for official plugins.

• > I think no need to focus on ios any more in the future , it's a dying product if they do not change their politic.

>

>

Sorry but this comment is completely uninformed.. and just.. idiotic.

iDouches are considered to be the upper end of the market when it comes to game / app development. iDevice owners are generally more cashed up (they need to be to afford Apple products) and are more prepared to pay for games and iAPs. There may be many more Android devices but generally speaking their users are less willing to pay.

In addition the higher bar required to get games / apps onto the Apple AppStore means that there are (relatively) less garbage games / clones etc to compete with. Meaning its easier to get you games discovered on Apple devices compared to Android, where the GooglePlay store is just awash with tsunamis of trash clones.

The fact that it's possible to make better revenue on iOS is reflected by the fact some devs target Apple devices exclusively, or consider Android to be firmly a secondary priority. My own short experience as a game dev focused on mobile shows how critical it is to target iOS. So far 95% + of my income has come from my game on the Apple AppStore.

Apple users represent the premium end of the market and game devs aiming for mobile wanting to make an income should absolutely 100% target them.

But you go ahead and ignore iOS if you think its a waste of time

Some people are focusing on money some others on success some others on the fun of making games some others on giving fun to other people etc... , each one has his own point of view and your point of view makes me think you are looking for money

• Some people are focusing on money some others on success some others on the fun of making games some others on giving fun to other people etc... , each one has his own point of view and your point of view makes me think you are looking for money

My goal is to build a career doing something I love. And generating income is a obviously part of that. Im not all about money, I enjoy making games that try to be original, aesthetically pleasing with nice artwork, and the kinds of games I like to play myself.

Your statement was that iOS wasnt worth focusing on and that Apple is a 'dying product'. I was just pointing out that IMO you're wrong.

• It would be a huge relief to me, and many others Im sure, if Scirra could maintain plugins for GoogePlay and GameCenter achievements / leaderboards

The main change with developing our own IAP/ad plugins is the fact we'll be implementing the underlying Cordova plugins ourselves too. In the case of Google Play, there is no underlying Cordova plugin - we wrote our own C2 plugin, and the C2 plugin directly interfaces with Google's API. So in that case, we basically already maintain the complete plugin. What are you hoping would be different if we re-wrote it?

• >

> Some people are focusing on money some others on success some others on the fun of making games some others on giving fun to other people etc... , each one has his own point of view and your point of view makes me think you are looking for money

>

My goal is to build a career doing something I love. And generating income is a obviously part of that. Im not all about money, I also enjoy making games that try to be original, aesthetically pleasing with nice artwork, and the kinds of games I like to play myself.

Your statement was that iOS wasnt worth focusing on and that Apple is a 'dying product'. I was just pointing out that IMO you're wrong.

I agree with you 100%. Even though I gave up on mobile developement a long time ago one thing is for sure. If you want to make money from your hard work on mobile then target iOS. I can confirm that 95% of the revenue comes from iOS if you have the same app on both stores.

And many people have said to me "If you're in it for the money then you do it for the wrong reason". But what if I LOVE making games so much that I want to do it for a living? To make it possible I just make the games I want and enjoy and simply just target the platforms that can generate enough revenue for me to live on.

I don't do it for the money, I do it because it is my passion and I have promised myself that I will never go to a job I hate again. So here I am with my own company and each day I wake up and feel excited to get back to making my games and the only thing I change to make it possible is to target the right platforms...

• Do not diss Apple devices as not worth develop for. I think it depends on where you live. In my circles there are almost only iphone owners seeing as I could imessage them all.

While it doesn't have many units seen from the world, you have to consider that the world population consists mostly of poor people. Poor people buying cheapest phones and maybe not afford buying games. Remember many buy mobile phones just to be able to communicate in country without infrastructure. Those would even use sun to recharge or go to recharge places.

In "richer" countries I think Apple devices are more popular and people more ok with buying games and apps.

Yes, it is divided world and different people ready to buy different brands. Apple has this more "luxury product" feel than Android phones. Something like comparing with Mac and windows pcs.

Construct 3 is open for osx now! So it would be nice to see more support for ios.

And no, I am not 100% defending iphone even if I have it. I really hate itunes!! But iphone/ipad is what we have here. I do not even pay for them, I inherit them. I am on iphone 5s, just got it "upgraded" from 4 few months ago. So there go the "rich" thing. I did buy my ipad 4 however. It is starting to feel old. It was snappy and responsive when it was new, but I guess ios is more bloated now. But I am not too keen to buy a new one just yet. I want to have a new camera instead and it cost about as much and is more needed in my works.

• > It would be a huge relief to me, and many others Im sure, if Scirra could maintain plugins for GoogePlay and GameCenter achievements / leaderboards

>

The main change with developing our own IAP/ad plugins is the fact we'll be implementing the underlying Cordova plugins ourselves too. In the case of Google Play, there is no underlying Cordova plugin - we wrote our own C2 plugin, and the C2 plugin directly interfaces with Google's API. So in that case, we basically already maintain the complete plugin. What are you hoping would be different if we re-wrote it?

For both the GooglePlay and GameCenter plugins the main thing I would hope for is they both work reliably and be as easy as possible to implement. I would want to be able to use Achievements and Leaderboards for both platforms.

Maybe the GooglePlay plugin doesn't need to be rewritten at all Ashley, you'd know! If you think it works, allows achievements and leaderboards then I guess nothing needs to be done to it. In that case Id just be asking, could the GameCenter plugin be updated to be functional as well.

• The title is pretty intense so I wanted to step in to say I think Scirra can be trusted to strive to develop their best game editor and interface for 2D games yet, even more so thanks to its ability to give developers more control over the interface (since it's an unrestricted JavaScript + HTML5 environment there shouldn't be much off limits to developers of plugins).

The runtime is the same as Construct 2 for now and the foreseeable future (HTML5), so if you are happily using Construct 2 right now, then you'll be able to continue enjoying that with Construct 3, with a paid subscription fee per year.

So yes, they're being pretty up-front and trustworthy, eg: they're not promising "Switch and Nintendo 3DS export!" or "Xbox One and PS4 self publishing!", or anything too crazy to actually expect decent outcomes from using HTML5 (although WiiU doesn't support WebGL, and it should be stressed how big of an impact that makes on scope of games capable on the console). So export-wise, they're pretty clear that it's web-based.

All the third party exporters and plugins aren't made by them, so they can't promise that it'll work 100% of the time, and since that's their demarcation point then it's just a matter of whether each user personally wants to take the risk on using an exporter. As long as the risk is made clear before purchase, that could be considered fair and, again, trustworthy!

• Are there any Construct 2 Masters right now using it to monetize on the markets? If so, do they use all these 3rd party plugins? Or did they develop their own? The community Construct 2 masters could pool together with their knowledge and build plugins. Plugins created by the community for the community. We the community could fix this problem ourselves. Unless there are no Construct 2 masters.

• We can trust Scirra but we have other plugins also which we can use like Google Play Plugin.

• I (also) think the title of the topic should be changed to something that represents the content and is less offensive. ^^

For example: I worry about plugins. Or: plugins ga(/i)ve me nightmares

^^

• I would say you can definitely trust Scirra that is for sure.

But any third party cannot be trusted including google\chrome - that is where any letdowns will come from.

• It not just about writing new Plugins from Scratches. We need single plugin for every type of feature, Ad, IAP, Leaderboard etc.

I am fed up of having 1000s of IF condition to use a particular feature. I am forced to mintain different versions for iOS (Game Center plugin & Admob, Cranberry IAP), Android(Google Play & Admob, Cranberry IAP) and finally Windows (Pubcenter, Offical IAP and no leaderboard!)

This is teh issue I have brought up in my new Topic:

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)