Announcement PR wreck so far...

0 favourites

We feel it's more respectful to be up-front about pricing from day 1. If we announced the pricing further down the line I think we'd get a lot more criticism. We don't want to hide/bury anything that might be considered controversial.

I'm curious specifically why do you think that's disrespectful?

We feel it's more respectful to be up-front about pricing from day 1. If we announced the pricing further down the line I think we'd get a lot more criticism. We don't want to hide/bury anything that might be considered controversial.

It's because you haven't shown that much of C3, except the stupid pricing method which is ludicrously expensive!

We've got a lot to show today, and over the coming weeks. I understand pricing is a contentious issue for some people.

I cannot understand what is happening on this forum, so much people disappointed in Construct 3 release announcements.

About the subscription model, you can also see it the other way around. With that new model, Scirra will undoubtedly receive more revenue. That mean more resources to continue developing Construct 3 to a new level. Maybe they will decide to create those long requested native exporters because now they have the necessary resources for it.

The subscription price of 99 USD for one year is very fair even for hobbyists. Everybody has to make a living, also the Scirra team needs to support their families.

All those (unnecessary) negative comments are damaging Scirra very much. Is it your intention to harm this small company because you disagree, then continue. On the other side, being positive is so much more powerfull and will surely result in one of the best game creation development environments in the future.

It is not our place to judge Scirra marketing strategy. For your information, we will upgrade to Construct 3 according to Scirra subscription policy because in our humble opinion Construct 2 and in the future 3 is an excellent game creation tool.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads

Cut the salts please. The only big wish from Construct 2 was the same old request for a native export? Read this blog in your wake and in your sleep: scirra.com/blog/ashley/28/t ... ve-engines

2. There was always communication from them, they even apologise for a silent time but you still have C2 to work on. It is just your patience that is missing. They choose when to release and the how, not you. Why is teasing you and with communication all over the forum wrong?

3. This is the best approach to it. As of all the replies from the founders. Any other ways will have cons too and you will still hop on the nagging bandwagon.

4. Its just less than 24 hours after the first announcement. What is going to change is your presence in this forum!

Ffs I wouldn't want to curse just so I won't get banned. I feel the guys at Scirra trying to work as hard on their releases... give them time to explain all. Again, they read the comments ffs!

Edit: I'm not talking specifically ferenzcy but the salty rests in this thread. I"M LOOKING AT YOU uboel

Dear At first at all, I tried always to be as polite as I can. You're so rude with me and you don't know me, so relax.

Now I will answer you:

1.- My post is MY OPINION and the target was Tom, not you or any other that take the flag of Scirra company.

2.- I'm more than two years waiting to buy Construct 3 (I'm playing with Unity, Gamemaker, Godot, but I always prefer Construct 2 and when I hear of Construct 3, I decided to buy it), so don't ask me to take patience because I've got the patience that I want to, not the patience that you tell me that I have.

3.- This is an evidence.

4.- I agree that 24h it's a short lapse of time.... if all was normal, but 1480 posts in less than this time and the most of them with critics to the ONLY TWO THINGS THAT THEY TELL TO THE COMMUNITY is sufficent reason to ask Tom of Ashley for THEIR OFFICIAL POSITION.

Sorry in advance if anyone has felt attacked by my opinion, and one more time, Jaydon try to be polite with people you don't know and they only tell their opinion.

Greetings.

After seeing what C3 is, or will be, i think it would be easier for people to make an educated decision if the price update to C3 is right for them or not. Now there's still a lot of speculation, and people haven't seen anything yet, so I can understand the fear. While it's good to be honest about pricing and such people generally want to know what they will be paying for first.

Coming from an advertising/media background it wouldn't hurt to build up some more hype first, and then a lot of people would probably be more like..

Sincerly for this price i prefer migrate to Unity with Visual Coding Plugin. The price it really near to Construct 3, but the platform it much more developed.

the success of Construct 2 was 50% for his price... Pay one time, upgrade lifetime.

Now sciarra, with construct 3. will be only just another Business platform.

I think me and my team will say goodbye very soon, At least i will see really STRONG features in Construct 3. I'm curious.

We've got a lot to show today, and over the coming weeks.

It may be a good idea to get these things out the door and show as much as possible.. now. Because right now your christmas tree is on fire

> We feel it's more respectful to be up-front about pricing from day 1. If we announced the pricing further down the line I think we'd get a lot more criticism. We don't want to hide/bury anything that might be considered controversial.

>

> I'm curious specifically why do you think that's disrespectful?

>

After seeing what C3 is, or will be, i think it would be easier for people to make an educated decision if the price update to C3 is right for them or not. Now there's still a lot of speculation, and people haven't seen anything yet, so I can understand the fear. While it's good to be honest about pricing and such people generally want to know what they will be paying for first.

Coming from an advertising/media background it wouldn't hurt to build up some more hype first, and then a lot of people would probably be more like..

Been following construct since the first versions of the classic

Never posted much...

And that was exactly my thoughts... probably because I also come from an advertising background.

------

About being honest and upfront with people. You can do that and not destroy your public perception... It started OK... the email for us to pay attention... what followed went wrong... As other people already said Scirra should have presented the software first, focusing on the features.

Now scirra has made a chunck of its target weary and defensive for the next move, they will most likely now be prone to look at the negative sides... the community also got fragmented...

It should have been the opposite. Now instead of scirra be in the "build expectations" mode, it is more likely PR disaster contention mode.

I am sure scirra weightened the possibilities, they looked at the scenarios before announcing this... and it is what they're betting in... i hope for the best for them because C2 was always a good piece of software for its purposes. And they gave it a lot of support toward the years.

As written by Tom , if that is the official position of scirra as a company... it is a bad PR move... and bad towards the community that adopted the software. It is understandable that you're focusing on the people who do pro development on it... but at the same time you're basically saying "we don't need our old userbase anymore" which are hobbysts and people that just entered the gamedev and maybe are confortable with construct2 DE...

It can hurt those people who feel betrayed by this move...

Only time will tell if such a polarizing strategy will pay off. I myself was already kinda out of construct2 (been coding in godot) but was excited to see what you guys would make... and ern... anti-climax is kinda the feeling. I can't purge this feeling of my head, that the way you presented it was wrong...

Anyways, stay strong whoever your decision is. The hits can be hard during those days.

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback, much appreciated.

I completly agree, the way you presented this was is all wrong, the pricing and the webbased announcement should have come with featurelist and at least a demo of how it will work, would made a huge difference

The huge dissapointment is large part down to extremely long silence about anything c3, you would suspect if you finaly come out with a great announcement, it would be with something to show, a teaser, the new workflow, features etc.. anything... so coming out with just a short post was an extreme let down and on top of that you announce the two least popular things : subscription and a webbased app (going to a website-no installation)

i was like..

I honestly think if we did what many are suggesting - and post all the features first and hype it up even more, then make the same announcement - it would have gone down worse. Everyone would have accused us of being deceptive, pulling some kind of bait-and-switch scam. We knew this would be a shock to many people, the only question was when to say it. So we chose to say it first, so you know from the start. I'm not surprised, I get the frustration, but I think this is the most transparent and up-front way of doing it.

I'm not sure how to even reply to everyone - for example some people are saying we should have been upfront, and I genuinely think we were, in a way many other companies wouldn't have been. Lots of people are saying we should have announced features - and we did, but they were largely ignored (which we kind of expected). Multiplatform is huge. Chrome OS is huge. I get it, not a big deal if you're already happy with Windows, but that is still aimed squarely at the persistently top feature requests for years - Mac and Linux support. And there's a ton more. We have weeks and weeks of announcements lined up still.

Perhaps our English level is not that good...perhaps we just transform what you want to express...

When reading your comment, the tone you used was like "we decided to go that way...and this will be THE way...no matter if we loose all of you, old customers, along that way"...

For me this sounds disrespectful to the community...

Anyway, as I said, I won't probably be part of the Construct3 journey [It will really depend on what the free version will be offering] but I wish you all the best with your new customer base...

Not at all what I meant, just a misunderstanding then!

brunosxs : +1

Bad marketing move, bad buzz, ...

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)