Star Nomad 2 on Steam, iOS & Android!

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Vintage steam pixels for your UI! 125 unique assets in a single pack!
  • Do you consider games like Battlefield the same as Counter Strike?

You got legit point there... mine bad (never followed that genre).

• cybernetically transcended yyyeaah!

beautiful project. tried to thumb u up but my account on steam dosnt meet some shit requirements or something (yeah just created it). as soon as shit requirements are met i will tho

• [quote:2iufx5x1]Sadly I still suck at promotion/marketing so its limited to a few posts on gaming forums and that's it. See how it goes, whether a good game can market itself or $$ for marketing is a must...

Even the best game won't sell if people don't know about it.

Having said that, personally I'm a bit wary of spending too much on marketing. We've tried it a few times - through a PR company and directly with major gaming sites - spending several thousand dollars each time and it's not really been worth it as we were lucky to break even.

I think the Kickstarter is definitely a good idea, but would suggest including some lower value pledges e.g. $1 = A thank you from the developer, $5 = A copy of Star Nomad 1, etc.

The best marketing we've had was being visible on Steam's front page, although that's post Greenlight and for us was mainly on initial release and releasing expansion packs so while "free" did take some work and persuasion with Steam. Opting into the Weeklong Deals and Recently Updated got some exposure/sales as well, so you could try those out for Star Nomad 1, which will also give exposure to Star Nomad 2.

Steam Curators are another way to get exposure. A kind word and a free Steam key to any relevant curator should hopefully get you a few reviews. One curator you might consider contacting is Space Game Junkie, you could give them a key for Star Nomad 1 and mention the Greenlight and Kickstarter campaigns for Star Nomad 2.

• Thanks!

OddConfection

Thanks for the tips, I didn't think of putting SN1 on sale to attract attention. That's a great idea!

What's really funny is immediately after launching the Kickstarter, I am bombarded by marketing emails from all these various PR groups & experts, asking for anywhere from $8 to tweet to their 40K followers to hundreds $ for features in gaming sites.

At this point I still plan to spend $0 on marketing/PR, see how it goes.

Brian Space Game Junkie gave me a shout out when it was on Greenlight, he's a very nice guy.

• awesome game, is it for PC?

• yeah, good game, nice graphics, like it.

• Liking it!

• laoniustudio

Yep for Steam.

kowalsky

Thanks!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • One month into the Greenlight, getting to the top 100 is extremely difficult without major marketing (pay marketing companies to help, or joining a bundle giving away keys for 5 cents). Some other devs even do shady crap like bribing for votes, giving away gifts/keys etc on Steamgifts/trades.

Looking at the stats for other titles on Greenlight, even really good games that don't have marketing to drive visits to the page struggle.

This site: http://iygamestudio.com/greendb/greenlight/

Tracks all the titles on Greenlight, it's accurate.

It seems the natural traffic from Greenlight itself is falling over time, now the first few days, natural viewers seem to be around 1200. If you can secure 50% of them as yes votes, that's already quite good, due to people liking different genres. But besides that, if you want more visits to your page, you have to direct them there somehow.

Good learning experience so far.

• Nice, i voted for you on steam

• One month into the Greenlight, getting to the top 100 is extremely difficult without major marketing (pay marketing companies to help, or joining a bundle giving away keys for 5 cents). Some other devs even do shady crap like bribing for votes, giving away gifts/keys etc on Steamgifts/trades.

Looking at the stats for other titles on Greenlight, even really good games that don't have marketing to drive visits to the page struggle.

This site: http://iygamestudio.com/greendb/greenlight/

Tracks all the titles on Greenlight, it's accurate.

It seems the natural traffic from Greenlight itself is falling over time, now the first few days, natural viewers seem to be around 1200. If you can secure 50% of them as yes votes, that's already quite good, due to people liking different genres. But besides that, if you want more visits to your page, you have to direct them there somehow.

Good learning experience so far.

I have to disagrea. If you have good game and you don't just sit and wait - Greenlight is only a matter of time. My failed Antumbra 2 got greenlit 2 weeks after I stoped really caring. Two things matters - traffic and type of traffic. Most games gets Greenlit in between 2 to 6 weeks. If its been over 6weeks already - THEN I would start worring.

I don't know what are your current GL stats Silver but from what I see you are doing rather good for now. You have a solid stream of comments, good niche, you are active and you havea quality product. To me you are doing just fine.

If you would run into some trouble - track me down on facebook or something. I might be able to help if you will actually need it.

• Irbis

If your Antumbra 2 passed, why do you say it failed?

I'm on 50% yes ratio, but not enough unique visits compared to other games for the time-frame.

This recent bunch, around 70 games were lit. It seems games that make it to the top 200 or 300 have a chance of been greenlit, not just the top 50 or 100. So that's something good I guess!

• Irbis

If your Antumbra 2 passed, why do you say it failed?

I'm on 50% yes ratio, but not enough unique visits compared to other games for the time-frame.

This recent bunch, around 70 games were lit. It seems games that make it to the top 200 or 300 have a chance of been greenlit, not just the top 50 or 100. So that's something good I guess!

Because it passed way to late. After my IndieGoGo camp ended.

Ratio is damn good then. Actually a game gets auto-greenlit the moment it crosses aroud 6000-7000 Yes Votes. Votes for now doesn't matter at all. IF there is 6000+ people willingto spend their money on your game - Valve will take you in.

• Six weeks, it just passed Greenlight this morning!

There's a ton of competition these days with so many games and a lot of marketing behind them. I'm glad to see it's still possible for the small guy with no marketing budget or major coverage to pass on the merits of the game alone.

• Good news

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)