Sombrero - OUT NOW!

0 favourites
  • Thanks!

My layout size is actually kind of gigantic (5248x3008), though it doesn't really need to be - all the action takes place in a 640x360 area that scales based on window size, which is what my final layout size will end up as once I've worked out the best way to scale Canvas objects based on the size of the tilemap I'm loading through the TMX Importer plugin - the built-in tilemap features don't include everything I need for my game, like attribute assignment for individual tiles. Any tile without an interactive attribute gets pasted into a canvas so that dealing with them is just fire & forget.

The tiles/characters are all 64x64, but the artwork inside each is 128x128, so that when the game camera zooms in & out the visuals stay nice & crisp. Though I should add that when I say 64x64 for the character, that's really just it's overall size (and even then it's more like 72x72) - the characters are animated w/ Spriter and they're made up of around a dozen hi-res images.

• Looks pretty cool so far.

• Looking nice!

• Started sketching out tiles for the next stage, a graveyard at sunset! There's enough night time graveyard levels in other games, right?

Like the tiles for the existing stage, these are sketched by hand - well, technically with a tablet, while the first stage's were sketched on post-it notes - that'll be used as placeholder art until the final vector versions are created.

*EDIT There's more tiles over to the right, but the forums don't seem to be resizing images to fit any more

• I was wondering how you do that highlight effect around the bags of money--is that a webgl effect or is it individual frame-by-frame sprites or something else?

• I was wondering how you do that highlight effect around the bags of money--is that a webgl effect or is it individual frame-by-frame sprites or something else?

It's a particle system that gets blurred, has a threshold effect applied and is then outlined w/ WebGL shaders, yes. I suppose a simple version could be done w/ a looping frame-by-frame animation for those platforms missing WebGL support, but since I've no plans to port Sombrero to mobile devices that don't support WebGL - really just Apple's crap devices at this point, everything else seems to handle it just fine - I suspect I'll be keeping it WebGL shader-based.

• Hmm i'm more interested in your tools, like the one you use for map creator (.tmx extension) and the other one Spriter Pro, i'm gonna try it, thank you for pointing it out dude

i'm a new comer. huehue

• Hmm i'm more interested in your tools, like the one you use for map creator (.tmx extension) and the other one Spriter Pro, i'm gonna try it, thank you for pointing it out dude

i'm a new comer. huehue

.TMX = Tiled Map Editor: mapeditor.org

Spriter Pro: brashmonkey.com, pretty sure that's lucid 's jam.

• .TMX = Tiled Map Editor: mapeditor.org

Spriter Pro: brashmonkey.com, pretty sure that's lucid 's jam.

Thank you, i've downloaded the Spriter pro, you can find it easily and unfortunately that's an amazing animation designer. I still learning it,

but i can't find the .tmx editor, thanks for pointing it out dude, thank you so much!

• Quick update - we conducted a Sombrero playtest last night with a group called the NYC Games Forum at Microsoft's NYC offices!

I should've probably mentioned it here sooner, be we also did a live stream on Twitch.TV - you can check out the archived footage here: http://www.twitch.tv/pixelmetal

Unfortunately we had to kill the stream early since it was dragging the framerate down on the test laptop (normally it's locked at 60fps on most machines). Next time we'll stream on a desktop with a beefier GPU!

Almost done squashing bugs, then on to new stages! New characters! New gameplay modes!

• looks fun! thanks for sharing

• Hey! Looks like Sombrero got a mention in the indie gaming press after last night's playtest: http://www.bliptalk.org/the-best-of-nyc ... est-night/

Everyone who asked how the game was developed (there were lots of aspiring devs at the event) were pretty surprised when they heard the game was HTML5-based and not Unity3D. Here's hoping my repeated mentions of C2 help more people find out about it!

• In the middle of more updates like integrating the new support for character maps from Spriter, but in the meantime here's a nice high-rez screenshot of the near-complete "Clampett's Hideaway" stage! Yes, that's the framerate in the corner - C2 is basically locked to my monitor's refresh, even at 2560x1440, and that's with multiple 4k+ Paster objects that the tile sprites are pasted into. That's a heck of a lot of performance there, Ashley!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Looking so good

• Yeah man, it really looks great When will we be ablate to test it?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)