Icarus - Wave Attack

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Two levels with two sistem Wave. with Source-code (.c3p) + HTML5 Exported.
  • Dave, this is an issue I am aware of, I just haven't gotten around to fixing it yet.

Game is now submitted on Newgrounds: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/616011

• Excal

well done in getting your game uploaded.

I've just had a quick test on the PC, and it seems that because of the way it is displayed in a browser, whenever you move the arrow keys on a keyboard up or down to manoeuvre the ship it moves the screen as well (which means you can't always see what you're doing). This is using Internet Explorer 9, by the way (I'll try Chrome later)

Thought I best let you know, as there's still plenty of time to fix things. I'll try on the ipad later and let you know if there's any other strange occurences

• Dave
  • Dave,

I'm aware of this issue, and have contacted Tom about it. If nothing is done before April 30, I plan on withdrawing from the competition entirely as I wouldn't want people to rate my game low just because the page isn't optimized for HTML5 games.

I don't know how Scirra arcade does it, but they should post details somewhere and/or maybe share it with Newgrounds.

• Okay, just tested in Chrome and I got the same issue. The worst part of it is whenever I press the space bar to shoot, the screen scrolls down and obscures the picture completely.

Having just done more testing, it seems that if you click the option to play the game in a new window it completely fixes the problem, so providing that's mentioned somewhere in description text you shouldn't have anything to worry about (phew!). Perhaps you've already mentioned it somewhere and I simply missed it?

Anyway, best of luck with everything - I'll test the game more later.

• Ooh, a lovely bit of Cross-Posting there!

The button you need to press is the middle one, to the right of where it says 'Icarus - Wave Attack'.

So, no need to withdraw from the competition, which would've been a shame considering how much effort you've put into the game.

• Dave
  • I've found a workaround for common browser-bound keybindings. I've posted them on my blog in case I need to reference them later.

http://www.exeneva.com/2013/04/overriding-browser-default-keys-in-html5-games/

I've also added a new video devlog, check it out here: [TUBE]k6QCrHtZDbg[/TUBE]

• Excal

I'm glad to hear you managed to find a solution, as it must've been very frustrating for you. I'm sure I'll encounter many a browser issue once I get mine uploaded (I have a lot of optimisation to do if my game's to ever work on a phone - currently it quits instantly on ipod touch, which is the closest thing to a phone I have to test on).

Anyway, whatever happens, you've made a fun game that plays well and looks great. And there'll be plenty of time after the competition to iron out any kinks.

• Dave
  • nice game. but i think it probably would be more effective to not destroy the rocks after completing the wave unless you change the way it's handled. the transition from wave to wave doesn't flow right for me.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Not bad, takes a bit getting used to the controls. ;)

• I deleted my 'old' submission on NG because a lot of users gave it 0/5 stars due to the common browser controls interfering with the game controls (spacebar by default scrolls you down the page).

Here's the new version on NG: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/616172

• Excal

It's probably worth putting 'construct2' and 'touch jam' in your game tags, as although its made it through the judgement process it hasn't been listed amongst the touchjam entries (my game is currently under judgement).

• Dave Hailwood

Thanks for the heads up! I've changed my tags appropriately :)

• Hi Excal,

I did attempt to review your game don Newgrounds, but typically for a Touchbased game competition it wouldn't allow me to check the 'I have read the terms and conditions' button on my ipad!

I'll try again when I'm next on my PC.

Got to wave 21 on the ipad, so those touch controls are working well once you get used to them.

• Excal nice game! To greatly reduce download times try changing image compression type to png-8 for images with transparency and jpeg for large background images.

You can see how to change compression types here: https://www.scirra.com/manual/129/image-format

• Excal

one very minor thing that I've just noticed about the game is when I get it to play in a separate window on the Newgrounds site it seems to still have its FPS counter in the top right corner (though it doesn't when it runs normally in the main wondow).

Although I doubt this would affect your chances in the competition, I just thought I'd mention it.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)