Zelda Inspired Practice [Playable]

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Basketball Practice is HTML5 game written in construct 2 and 3 engine that simulates hooping.
  • Great game. Hope you post the capx someday.

Thanks!

I don't mind sharing - is there anything in particular you are looking to know how was done?

• AI controls mostly. Making them jump back when hit. Movment.

• AI controls mostly. Making them jump back when hit. Movment.

The ninja uses 8 directional movement except that is disabled when hit.

The jump back for ninja and monster, as well as the slime's "jump" movement, both used custom movement. Set speed and direction then certain amount of time later stop.

Pretty simple, just have to do some testing to get the time and speed you want (which equates to distance). The angle can be a bit tricky but I just went with angle(monster.x, monster.y, player.x, player.y), or vice versa, to set the motion of bounce back. Slime's movement is completely random using set angle to random(0,360).

Thought that might be easier than sifting through my events, yes?

• Hei Badmoodtaylor,

Just got back from vacation and had the opportunity to test your game in more detail during the travels.

Let me just say that I am still hot and thirsty after my first playthroughs

I did not manage to find the green easter egg, despite trying to follow all possible eye clues that might have indicated that I was on the right path.

I think I wasted more than 30 shurikens on the ninjastar vending machine, hoping that would be one of the easter eggs. I should have read the description in this thread in advance where it clearly states its only purpose. Or perhaps there's more to it? :hehe

I will not lose against the easter bunny in retreiving the final egg but might ask for a clue if I cannot find it by the end of the week.

By the way, I tested the game on my laptop and also my cell phone and tablet. The directional pad when using the touch function was a little too rigid. By that I mean, it was quite hard to hit the correct direction unless you were spot on (especially left). This might be something I just have to get used to, but perhaps if there is a "bigger" active touchfield surrounding the arrows, it will make it easier to move around? I had to switch back to the laptop cause of it.

Also, on the laptop, if I used the mouse and touched somewhere around the playing field, the touch control interface would pop up but I did not figure out how to remove it. This kind of blocked the view in the bottom left and right areas so I would have to reload the game. How do I toggle it on and off?

Cannot remember if I used Firefox or Chrome. Sorry!

It is too long since I played the first Zelda, so cannot recall if the enemies got pushed onto the next screen when hit, like in your game. Is this intentional?

From Link to the Past, I know that the enemies stay on the same screen when pushed into or hit into the sides.

What is your connection to Australia?

• Apfelguts

Thanks for playing the game and commenting! People showing interest in this motivates me to add more to it (instead of working on other projects).

Let me comment point by point:

I think I wasted more than 30 shurikens on the ninjastar vending machine, hoping that would be one of the easter eggs. I should have read the description in this thread in advance where it clearly states its only purpose. Or perhaps there's more to it? :hehe

Vending machine only trades 5 coins for one shuriken. You have to have 5 coins and less than 3 shurikens and then hit it with the sword. Nothing more than that. I know I didn't even attempt to explain it anyway but figured people would figure it out if they really wanted to

I will not lose against the easter bunny in retreiving the final egg but might ask for a clue if I cannot find it by the end of the week.

Sure! Just let me know or ask me questions. It's been posted for a while so I don't mind spoilers.

By the way, I tested the game on my laptop and also my cell phone and tablet. The directional pad when using the touch function was a little too rigid. By that I mean, it was quite hard to hit the correct direction unless you were spot on (especially left). This might be something I just have to get used to, but perhaps if there is a "bigger" active touchfield surrounding the arrows, it will make it easier to move around? I had to switch back to the laptop cause of it.

I noticed that too. One tip is that you can touch in the center of the pad and then drag your finger. As long as that finger remains in touch it be linked to the touchpad and can drag anywhere on screen. So I was relying on that during most of my testing but did notice when I picked up my finger it was hard to tap a direction. So been meaning to address that but never got to it.

Also, on the laptop, if I used the mouse and touched somewhere around the playing field, the touch control interface would pop up but I did not figure out how to remove it. This kind of blocked the view in the bottom left and right areas so I would have to reload the game. How do I toggle it on and off?

Cannot remember if I used Firefox or Chrome. Sorry!

Good point! I don't have a way to toggle it off right now. I should probably add a pause menu.

It is too long since I played the first Zelda, so cannot recall if the enemies got pushed onto the next screen when hit, like in your game. Is this intentional?

From Link to the Past, I know that the enemies stay on the same screen when pushed into or hit into the sides.

I've pondered this a lot. I don't remember how all the Zelda games did it. I feel like some they can go off screen but I think they disappear. I thought about adding something but would want to avoid two things:

• Bouncing back off the edge of the screen and unfairly hurting the player
    • Getting stuck on the edge of the screen and making them an easy target

What is your connection to Australia?

Not sure where this is coming from? I live in the states. Did I reference Australia somewhere? I am really curious now.

Thanks again for playing and the comment. You give really good feedback. I am thinking about working on a castle/dungeon with boss to add. Just not sure when I will get time to do it...

• Thanks for playing the game and commenting! People showing interest in this motivates me to add more to it (instead of working on other projects).

Yeah, I am still interested in the future of your "Office" themed game I will reply in more detail on Monday.

Not sure where this is coming from? I live in the states. Did I reference Australia somewhere? I am really curious now.

Was I mistaken or did a certain "exotic location" look an aweful like the map of Australia? I apologise if my geography skills are out of place, haha.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • when you give me advice on my game and talked about the touch controls, I just remembered the touch controls of your game. I noticed that when I click/touch on screen the touch controls become visible. In my game, I made them to become invisible when the player press any key on keyboard or joystick, maybe you can use it on your game. I took this information here in scirra site, I do not remember if it was a blog post or a manual entry.

• when you give me advice on my game and talked about the touch controls, I just remembered the touch controls of your game. I noticed that when I click/touch on screen the touch controls become visible. In my game, I made them to become invisible when the player press any key on keyboard or joystick, maybe you can use it on your game. I took this information here in scirra site, I do not remember if it was a blog post or a manual entry.

The simplicity of that recommendation makes it such a great idea! I was planning on adding a menu option to disable the controls. I don't think that will be necessary with that tip. Many thanks!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)