StuffGEN - object maker, made with C2

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Turn your photos from your phone or home computer into a jigsaw puzzle
  • Awesome!

Load image from url maybe?

• Yeah, but it needs to be split into animation frames, etc. Either way I'd like to make everything as easy as the part placement and manipulation - so single action, just load a sprite sheet and bam, have a new part set.

• Alright, here's an "early" next version:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/132 ... index.html

It has Undo and Redo, massive thanks to rexrainbow for the plugin.

Saving and Loading, Cut, Copy and Paste. There could be some weirdness left in there somewhere so please comment on anything that acts weird.

There's a new data file - it will also save the selected state, here's a sample so you can play around with something: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/132 ... ptorX.sgen

ZOrdering not done yet, but close. Also the UI will change, which is why it's a little weird for now.

You can check a manual of sorts here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/16om ... sp=sharing

And I noticed through Dropbox the saving is a bit annoying, with the new window and such - is there a way to avoid this?

NOTE: This tileset is not final so please don't get attached to any creations. This version will stay up a while, though.

• Somebody

Total Mindblow.

This version is a great leap forward.

Suggestions.

. Colors (white & black are gone) (Maybe a color picker?)

. A way to slice parts because some parts i used for my hover tank are now gone (they where smaller than your default shape size, half square), slicing would enable some nice shape options.

. Adjustable brigtness & contrast for shapes

. Drag & Drop (as addon to "wasd")

. Mouse scroll zoom in/out

• Somebody

Total Mindblow.

This version is a great leap forward.

Good, good, I try my best. With ZOrdering in it should be a blast, all the way.

Suggestions.

. Colors (white & black are gone) (Maybe a color picker?)

. A way to slice parts because some parts i used for my hover tank are now gone (they where smaller than your default shape size, half square), slicing would enable some nice shape options.

. Adjustable brigtness & contrast for shapes

. Drag & Drop (as addon to "wasd")

. Mouse scroll zoom in/out

You can get black and white by lowering the saturation all the way (Shift+:) and then Rising or lowering brightness (Shift+< and Shift+>). But I'm aware of this - in the next proper version we'll have the loadable pallettes so it won't be a concern anymore.

Slicing parts is on the menu, but it will mean that each part is completely unique, so it would eat video memory for breakfast. But I'm looking into it. In fact I looked into far enough to think of most of the possible slices:

The red ones would slice the part, the green would modify the shape. I suspect with a system like this you could just go crazy on the tile modifications. But these would also have to be finalized and a part of the save system, just like the parts, so I'm keeping that for some optimistic future once again.

Adjustable brigtness & contrast for shapes - Did you try the [ ] ; " < > keys? It's not quite the same, but it does let you go quite wild the colors.

Drag & Drop - this one is a little low on the todo list, to be honest, but I might look into it.

Mouse scroll and zoom - last time I tried this it irritated me so much it's also been thrown to the back of the todo... but it will come. For now you can press Z and see what happens (in the center of he screen, sigh).

• SomeBoy

Z works great but does not center on image (that brings another suggestion to move canvas on right mouse when zoomed in.)

[&] + <&> are nice but i'l wait to adjust the colors when the color palettes are implemented

Those slice options look better than what i had in mind.

Awesome!

• The latest link has been updated. T - Towards top, B - Towards bottom, Shift+T - To top, Shift+B - To bottom. Multiple selections work and will work until you reach a limit (i.e. the top object is already at the top), then weird things might happen.

Feedback welcome

• Somebody

Z order works great!

Check out my new Stuffgen Hovertank ingame.

• On my mobile, so its a bit small, but looks cool and I'd say a water-based bright environment is really neat. Also adds posibilities for gameplay.

Glad to hear Zordering works \O/

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Nice! I've been waiting to get my hands on this. Here are some observations right off the back. First, it looks much better now then before. The grid is much better this way as are the guide points. I like how the zoom works and for me the not being centered thing isn't a big deal (at least not yet). Here are some issues that I've come across so far. I'm sure you're aware of some of them already.

• I'm still getting the distorted hue issue in the purple range.
    • When I try to change the z order one at a time, I have to press the t or b button twice the first time before the objects will start moving.
    • Importing your interceptorx.sgen file causes a bunch of catastrophic issues. The buttons don't work as expected anymore. For example, pressing S will attempt to download a file rather then moving the objects. Basically I think that for some reason the program thinks that the control key is pressed when it's not.
    • Using the control keys is a bit awkward after not using them for so long. Maybe it's something that I just need to get used to. I understand that you're trying to make it more universal so new users will know the keys right away. It just makes things slightly harder to do then before. For example to copy and mirror an object before was very quick as I could just press c, m and I was done. Now I have to press control c, control v, and m. Like I said, not a huge issue and I'm sure it's something I'll get used to.
    • This may not be an issue at all once your pallet option is introduced, but it might be a good idea to make your color swatches smaller and add them into the same area with the menu. That would make the workspace a bit bigger.
    • Also, since there are buttons next to the text parts in the menu, I was expecting a mouse click on them to activate, but they don't seem to. I have to do the keyboard shortcut even though it seems like if I were to click on it the operation should be completed.

Overall great update. I'll be playing around with it and let you know if anything else pops up.

• A few more things.

First, I restarted and since then I haven't been able to reproduce the z order not changing on first click thing. Maybe that was just a glitch?

Second, I accidentally pressed control r (which I'm guessing is reset?) rather then control y when I wanted to do a redo. After the reset I wasn't about to use control z or anything to get the project back. Maybe do an autosave before completing the reset or a confirm reset dialogue or something?

Third, have you added the option to add the black outline around the sets of parts like you did in that robot post a while back?

• Nice! I've been waiting to get my hands on this. Here are some observations right off the back. First, it looks much better now then before. The grid is much better this way as are the guide points. I like how the zoom works and for me the not being centered thing isn't a big deal (at least not yet). Here are some issues that I've come across so far. I'm sure you're aware of some of them already.

Yes I am, hence the "early" version, but it's always great to get detailed feedback and then I can double-check/prioritize things.

I'm still getting the distorted hue issue in the purple range.

Yeah, I read around a bit, seems like there are known fixes for it, but my error report was treated like "Oh, well, that's just how it is". R0J0 made a different effect, but it doesn't work at all on my machine... Hopefully in time it will be fixed.

When I try to change the z order one at a time, I have to press the t or b button twice the first time before the objects will start moving.

It's important to keep in mind that the ZOrder is global, so if another object is over this one, but way off to a side it still counts. But I see this may have changed already.

Importing your interceptorx.sgen file causes a bunch of catastrophic issues. The buttons don't work as expected anymore. For example, pressing S will attempt to download a file rather then moving the objects. Basically I think that for some reason the program thinks that the control key is pressed when it's not.

I suspect this has to do with the javascript command that simulates clicking the file loading button. I'll look into it.

Using the control keys is a bit awkward after not using them for so long. Maybe it's something that I just need to get used to. I understand that you're trying to make it more universal so new users will know the keys right away. It just makes things slightly harder to do then before. For example to copy and mirror an object before was very quick as I could just press c, m and I was done. Now I have to press control c, control v, and m. Like I said, not a huge issue and I'm sure it's something I'll get used to.

Yeah, I think C is coming back. For now Ctrl+D for "Duplicate" does what it did.

This may not be an issue at all once your pallet option is introduced, but it might be a good idea to make your color swatches smaller and add them into the same area with the menu. That would make the workspace a bit bigger.

It will be smaller for sure, but also I just got this silly idea of manipulating the UI just like the parts - pick it and move/scale it as needed.

Also, since there are buttons next to the text parts in the menu, I was expecting a mouse click on them to activate, but they don't seem to. I have to do the keyboard shortcut even though it seems like if I were to click on it the operation should be completed.

Hmm, they should all work... Perhaps try hard refreshing the link.

Overall great update. I'll be playing around with it and let you know if anything else pops up.

Kinda like it myself, to be honest But more to come, more to come.

Second, I accidentally pressed control r (which I'm guessing is reset?) rather then control y when I wanted to do a redo. After the reset I wasn't about to use control z or anything to get the project back. Maybe do an autosave before completing the reset or a confirm reset dialogue or something?

I suspect it's a system command for refresh, this combo isn't used anywhere (and if it isn't it's not intercepted, so then system commands work).

Third, have you added the option to add the black outline around the sets of parts like you did in that robot post a while back?

Not yet, since in it's current form it's a single-use thing - of little practical use. But it's coming.

Thanks for all that feedback Burvey, enjoy the new version.

• First off, I'm still seeing the HSL glitches mentioned previous by other users. Only seeing it on certain colors. It persists after export as well. My graphics are intel HD4000, so that might be part of the problem. Anyway, here's an example of what I am seeing:

[attachment=0:z32q4vn8][/attachment:z32q4vn8]

While I'm here, I'd just like to say this about Stuffgen:

As a designer first/artist last, this is insanely helpful for me when prototyping, as I tend to get hung up on art and lose my flow sometimes. I can always get something passable, but since I'm just not very efficient in that area, I lose precious time worrying about dev art details that are often meaningless in the context of a brainstorming session.

Stuffgen is brilliant for this, as I can work up a bunch of temp sprites in no time, and get back into events and programming, which is generally where my real ideas are anyway. With the way things are progressing, I could even see using some of these sprites in a real game.

So...thanks For preserving my brain. In a totally cool, non-mad-scientist sort of way.

• This isn't necessarily a feature request but just throwing an idea out there. It would be really cool if we could load in an image either at the bottom of the order with the grid or an opaque version on top that we could use as a guide in "Stuff Generation". For example, I can take my sketches and scan them into the computer, load them up in StuffGen and be able to use it right on the screen as a guide to which shapes to use.

Also, I want to second what TiAm said above about StuffGen being an insanely helpful tool!

• First off, I'm still seeing the HSL glitches mentioned previous by other users. Only seeing it on certain colors. It persists after export as well. My graphics are intel HD4000, so that might be part of the problem.

Since the official answer was a "meh" our best hope is a new, fixed HSL effect. My knowledge of shaders is good enough to open the files and maybe tinker with something, but way lacking to actually adapt something. Will have to keep looking...

While I'm here, I'd just like to say this about Stuffgen:

As a designer first/artist last, this is insanely helpful for me when prototyping, as I tend to get hung up on art and lose my flow sometimes. I can always get something passable, but since I'm just not very efficient in that area, I lose precious time worrying about dev art details that are often meaningless in the context of a brainstorming session.

Stuffgen is brilliant for this, as I can work up a bunch of temp sprites in no time, and get back into events and programming, which is generally where my real ideas are anyway. With the way things are progressing, I could even see using some of these sprites in a real game.

So...thanks For preserving my brain. In a totally cool, non-mad-scientist sort of way.

This is awesome to hear, since it was my initial idea for making this thing. Now I see that with some training some rather decent real sprites are possible so all these extra features are coming in, but for quick temp sprites it's one to beat.

This isn't necessarily a feature request but just throwing an idea out there. It would be really cool if we could load in an image either at the bottom of the order with the grid or an opaque version on top that we could use as a guide in "Stuff Generation". For example, I can take my sketches and scan them into the computer, load them up in StuffGen and be able to use it right on the screen as a guide to which shapes to use.

I have been thinking about this - quite likely to be implemented once I get better acquainted with image file loading and such.

Also, I want to second what TiAm said above about StuffGen being an insanely helpful tool!

Never gets old, I'm glad people enjoy it as much as I do!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)