Puzzle Blocks Ancient

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
From the Asset Store
An amazing and interesting puzzle game for kids!
  • After Greedy Rabbit , I started new project with name: Puzzle Blocks Ancient

Platforms: Android, HTML 5

I think, static puzzle is best solution for slow construct2 at mobiles

First open alpha is here: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.Sharkywalls.PuzzleBlocksAncient

Alpha contain: 60 levels, 2 language, Test Appodeal ads

Final version plane: 200 levels, 7 languages, Ingame shop (premium and tips)

First screens:

My previous game (Greedy Rabbit) theme: https://www.scirra.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=161892

• I gave it a try but I can't complete the first level. Either the 2-square block was supposed to be vertical instead of horizontal or I'm being really stupid. I love the graphics and simple interface and the themes look great. Let me know how to get past that first level (show me a screenshot or something), I'd love to play more.

I think with all the extremely cool C2 action games in development it's gonna be hard to catch the eye of people here with a puzzle game. Which has me a bit worried because I too have a puzzle game approaching publishing and I was hoping to give it a small boost by showing it on the forums. In any case, your puzzle game looks top notch, keep it up.

What do you mean by C2 slow on mobiles? What kind of phones are your lowest target? Are you using WebGL effects? Because those can drastically slow your frame-rate on some devices, even new and powerful ones. I use Canvas and dropped all WebGL effects and the game runs like a charm even though it's gotten pretty complex.

• Yes, it was unclear that it is possible to rotate the blocks. I think the design would be more clean if it was not possible to rotate the blocks, but it might get harder to make a lot of levels. One idea might also be to hint after a while with some gray lines that the blocks should be rotated.

I think its possible to make a "rotate towards angle" to get a rotation effect.

The graphics is very nice, but its a little confusing when all the blocks are the same color. One idea might be to have some slight variations of tone or shades, just to make them look a little different.

I really got stuck on level 10:2, I'm not sure how the difficulty are suppose to be, like if all levels are going to be the on a fairly equal level or if you want to mix harder and easier once, If you want to mix them, it might be an idea to indicate the harder once clearly.

It would also be cool with none-linear level progression, but I'm not sure if it "sells" on mobile.

I like the touch of how the screen scrolling down when you complete the level. Would be cool if it was some kind of effect, maybe water inside the darker area when you complete the level

• Yes, it was unclear that it is possible to rotate the blocks.

Oooooh Ok, solved. I like the rotation part but clearly it needs a visible hint. I'm sure it's probably in the works. I love that the game uses very little text and can convey everything you need to know through icons and design. The level progression doesn't have to be that linear. I guess it depends on what type of player you're after. Some like brain-busting puzzles and others just like to relax moving blocks around. Roll The Ball for example is more oriented towards the latter and it's levels aren't very smooth in difficulty progression.

Anyway, now I can actually play the game. I'm curios about that 10th level, thanks!

• > Anyway, now I can actually play the game. I'm curios about that 10th level, thanks!

>

It don't think it was anything particular, more that a lot of the levels was solved on just a few moving around of the blocks, but for some reason I just tried a lot of different things on it but nothings seemed to work. I eventually beat it, but it kind of destroys the flow (with all of the fast levels before), and if I would have played the game on the buss I would probably have dropped it.

I don't think level design is a exact science, so one idea might be to just have a lot of people test the levels and notice which ones takes more time to solve. I also think that it might have something to do with the number of possible solution. in world 2 theres a lot of puzzles with few pieces and few solutions, probably just one or two which you see right away, but when theres a lot of pieces and few solutions, you run into dead ends quickly and basically have to start over the level by removing all of the pieces. That might be the reason, but I'm not sure what made world 1 level 10 part 2 stand out from the rest of them.

• Discussion, cool!

Yes, I'm stupid , I completely forgot about the helper ... I will make him later).

About hardness line. I do not know how to make the complexity increase smoothly. I played these levels many times, and each time the different levels were complex or easy. Very strongly affects how you started to put the blocks, but if you think very well, then the solution is always there.

Thanks for the ideas regarding the design, but I already finished it, Constract 2 limits the possibilities in the design, right now the game has friezes on ipad2.

But I added sounds, achievments (but it seems they do not work)), shop, and new levels and 7 languages. I will stop at 100 levels now. And if they play the game, I'll add more.

Thanks for tips and play test

Here are the new screenshots from the levels and design:

• Now, game have helper about rotate blocks. And smoosh rotating blocks. Also fixed some bugs. Achievments now is working. And now I will make web version.

• I don't think level design is a exact science, so one idea might be to just have a lot of people test the levels and notice which ones takes more time to solve.

Yeah, I think that would be the best way to go about it, but also the most time consuming. Personally I just galloped through my levels because I was pressured by time, tested them myself a few times and again while recording hints and hope really hard I found all the blunders in design. But I think it's safe to say the players will find a few more and I'm pretty sure my levels are no smooth progression - next time I need to plan my time better.

Now, game have helper about rotate blocks. And smoosh rotating blocks. Also fixed some bugs. Achievments now is working. And now I will make web version.

Good stuff, the helper does the trick. I need to learn from the simplicity of your interface. May I ask what compiler you use? The app is so small in size I'd guess it's cocoon.io & Canvas+, right?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Good stuff, the helper does the trick. I need to learn from the simplicity of your interface. May I ask what compiler you use? The app is so small in size I'd guess it's cocoon.io & Canvas+, right?

Yes it`s cocoon and canvas+.

• I noticed a change from the last version I played. It's harder to rotate the pieces without adding more moves. I know exactly what the puzzle solutions are but I can't get 3 stars because when I try to rotate the pieces I accidentally move them a few pixels and add a move. I came across this exact same problem too and the solution was to add a threshold of a few pixels (depending on screen resolution) that made the difference between moving and turning.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)