League of Avenging Nations is an xcom type game only without the tactical turn base gameplay (this aspect will take place in a different form), instead its much more heavily involved in resource management, researching and base building, and it will involve politics between the nations.
This version is a prototype. It includes:
* Toroidal playing field. (the map loops or wraps in all directions so it appears to not have an edge).
* Map drag and scroll.
* UFO creation and movements. This was quite puzzling because the map is made up of small sectors which reposition themselves which meant using coordinates was difficult, so i decided to base them on angles and distances.
I've noticed at high speeds i get the occasional lag or juddering. I'm not sure if it's because i use dt, or if it's the way i'm going about movements in general.
As you can see in the image i'm using loops set by the ufo speed and moving small increments, this is because when a UFO crosses from one sectors edge to another i need to reposition it as the UFO is always "pinned" to that sector so when the sector repositions the UFOs position stays relative. If anyone thinks this is a bad idea or has any other suggestions i'd love to hear them.
* Zoom in and out of map. Eventually each zoom level will display different information, for example zoom out will show the countries borders and names, zoom in closer will show the terrain types and max zoom will show details like city names and populations and other resource data etc.
* Time management. Stop, play or speed up game play.
* Lock on to a UFO and follow it about the map.
I'd appreciate any feedback.
link removed, see below post for latest version.
Left click and drag mouse to scroll or press one the keys show bellow.