How to introduce your game

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
From the Asset Store
five golem elements Sprites Sheet.Best for enemy or villain game characters.
  • To encourage feedbacks to your game, you have to demonstrate how committed you are to its development. If you just post a link to your dropbox, you are cutting a lot of the potential feedbacks people could give.

Game

Describe in few words your game genre, view, mechanics and universe (e.g. a 2d side scrolling platformer featuring a plumber, on a quest to save the princess of a kingdom populated by evil mushrooms and turtles). You could also describe the scope of the game (8 worlds with about 10 levels each and some secrets ones, for an average of 10 hours of gameplay), the number of assets (types of enemies, power-ups...) or some other outstanding feature to make us feel your game is unique and interesting!

Screenshots/Videos

People like pictures and posts with pictures get much more comments than the ones without. Post some nice screenshots, gifs (check lhttp://www.cockos.com/licecap/), or an embedded video of your trailer and latest gameplay video. You should update these often, visuals are the main appeal of this page!

Platform

Tell us on where you plan to release your game, whether on pc, online portals, consoles, mobile and maybe the specs you envision. If you go with self-constrained development (CGA, 16 bits, 5 events...) you could also tell about it beforehand.

Team

If you didn't introduce yourself in the presentation thread (you should), and even if you did, a few words about you , your strengths and your background would help to give more accurate feedback. If you are more than one, it's a good place to give credits to the awesome people working with you. And if you are still looking for someone to fill in a position, it's also a good place to say so!

Progress/Feedback

It can be useful to specify what you consider to be done, what is in progress and what kind of feedback you're looking for. If you want people to comment on something specific or to ignore something that is not implemented during their playtest, you should indicate it as well.

Test build

The link for people to play the latest build of your game

Here you go! Remember that this is just a template and you should modify it to suit your game. The first post of your devlog is the place people see first, so you should update often if you got any progress.

Be open to bad critics when asking for feedback, people reply because they care!

• Oh, I want to ask you something, when people give you some bad critics feedback and some fair feedback and what should you do?

• You need to be honest with yourself, if you are not prepared to hear harsh comments about your work, maybe you shouldn't post it online.

If you do, always be grateful for feedback, because you want more feedback. Make sure you understood the comment, ask questions on the parts you didn't get. Try not to be defensive, if they think some part of your game sucks and you disagree, let it pass. If you agree but it hurts you to hear it, let them know. Eventually explain what was your intention and tell what impact their feedback will have on your project (if any).

Tell what you plan to do next.

• Oh, I want to ask you something, when people give you some bad critics feedback and some fair feedback and what should you do?

I never created a game but if i do and i receive a bad critics feedback:

1.- i will think, is he/she trolling, being agresive?

2.- is the first bad critic feedback or there are tons of diferent people saying the same thing?

3.- Could you check if the thing he/she is saying is true?

4.- Can you fix/upgrade what is he/she telling? and with which cost/time?

5.- And most of all, is the thing he/she telling, the way your game wanted to be? if not just ignore it.

• You need to be honest with yourself, if you are not prepared to hear harsh comments about your work, maybe you shouldn't post it online.

I learned this the hard way many many years ago, but I'm glad I learned the lesson as it's made me a tougher critic of myself and my work, and helped to relieve the 'daddy eyes' that comes with creative work.

• Great post about trying to get feedback. Super apprecieate it

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Great post!

A quick note on feedback...

Critiquing someone's work can often be just as difficult as it can be to accept a critique of your own work. I've been working in games now for over 7 years and I've been involved in some incredibly harsh critiques, on one side or the other, and they've all been in front of large groups of people.

The important thing to remember, is that people are just expressing their opinions, and even if someone expresses frustration over content you've created, it's still extremely valuable to understand why they were frustrated. Often a comment may be something like, "the game is too hard!" and it's important to know the kind of gamer they are (they could be a grandma, or an MLG aficionado, you never know unless you ask!) and what about the game they found "too hard." It could very well be a simple bug based on their own play style that wasn't accounted for, or maybe the enemies are too dark and don't show up against the backgrounds you've created.

Before people review my work, I always let them know what I worked on, and what I'd specifically like feedback on.

i.e. "I just updated the damage the boss in level 3 does, does it still feel balanced?"

Even then, people may still point out issues you didn't ask for, but that's actually great information, because it means something else stood out to them even more than what you specifically asked for, so it's time to dissect it and figure out why!

Sorry this was a little long winded, just remember, filtering critiques is an invaluable skill for game designers that only serves to better your project!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)