Gangster Tactics: Pile Them In

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Royalty FREE Music for your YOUTUBE / INDIE GAMES / OTHER PROJECTS
  • very nice, the system of the game are awesome and pixel art is wonderful!

• very nice, the system of the game are awesome and pixel art is wonderful!

Looking forward to play this game. Best.

Both of you. Thanks for your compliments. I will try my best not to disappoint.

Yesterday progress report.

Finish the walking animations for the all the classes available for the player in the demo based on the new methodology.

What I am showing is based on the latinos, however based on the answers you give in the character creation section of the demo, you will get different racial versions.

From the left to right; Brute, Social Activist, Smarty Pants, Punk, Provocateur

FINALLY their useless gang leader decide to splurge on clothing and haircuts. Now they don't need the nametags to tell who is who anymore.

Now progressing on finishing the gang screen.

• Looking brilliant!

• Looking brilliant!

Thanks for your compliment.

Progress from yesterday.

Changed the gang screen button to something better. Also created a lot of buttons for the gang screen.

Finish drawing the stereotype (class) icons for the characters in the player's gang.

From the left to right: Brute, Social Activist, Smarty Pants, Punk, Provocateur

Also their favorite graffiti to paint over walls

Suggestions are welcomed.

• Progress for today and yesterday.

I finish creating the bottom part of the Battle UI. While this may seem to be just a small part, it actually involve a lot of code and assets.

Also need to insert another new font I have forgotten into my game to represent lives.

The good thing is that I had created in a way that allow me to call on this UI with a single function and with only a single parameter (Unit ID).

Hard work today for easy work in the future.

The UI in question. I changed it to be shorter so I can put another one on the right side with room to spare for a very obvious reason if you played any FFT or TO games before.

Henry is such a showoff sometimes

I also have fix some assets to look better. Also have finish most of the gang screen assets.

Will focus on coding the remaining of the gang screen.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • The UI is neat but those animated "snow effect" bars would annoy the crap out of me. Might be over-doing and complicating it a bit?

• The UI is neat but those animated "snow effect" bars would annoy the crap out of me. Might be over-doing and complicating it a bit?

Hmmm, I believe I can create another version of those bars using moving and changing colors to show juice rather than the current one. For next time update then.

Thanks for your feedback.

Progress for today.

Finish coding 50% of the functions for Gang Screen. Quite a lot of code of the backend to compute what to show and how to show.

I am beginning to have a healthy dose of admiration and respect for the programmers of TO.

Teach me not to underestimate to work needed in the backend.

Gif to show progress as usual

Please don't judge James sexual identify. He had a hard life

Next on my list of things to bash about until they work are the buttons interactions in the Gang Screen, specifically to arrange the characters in there and the cycle stats mechanism.

If you are familiar with Tactics Ogre : Let's Us Cling Together, there are four sorting options, namely : Manual Sort, Sort Criteria, Change ID No. and Reassign ID No.

I don't know about you guys, but I have not and have never heard of anyone using the last two options.

Usually only the first is being used to put all the heavy hitters that you want to use for the upcoming battles to the front and kick all the rejects to the back.

Therefore, I intended to implement only first two sorting features.

There are already a lot of features I still need to do without adding the ones that no players will ever touch.

• Just a quick visual update.

Change the bars(HP,SP and AP) from the previous

to this one

The new ones should resolve most of the complaints that the previous ones look tacky, r-right?

Back to focusing on the coding until my brains melt.

• Yup, new bars are sweet. Nicely done.

As for your comment regarding the backend.. heck yes, games with a lot of UI always get really complex with coding. I commented about this at the start of your thread, I realize the amount of work is insane, because I've got a lot of UI in my latest game Star Nomad too.

• Yup, new bars are sweet. Nicely done.

As for your comment regarding the backend.. heck yes, games with a lot of UI always get really complex with coding. I commented about this at the start of your thread, I realize the amount of work is insane, because I've got a lot of UI in my latest game Star Nomad too.

Yeah, but I love the genre and tactics game is pretty much all about calculation and computation (flashy results preferred, of course).

I do admit I underestimate the amount of work required though thankfully all the work until now are just pretty much tedious work, not roadblocks.

Well, nearly finish the Gang Screen features with exception of the sorting feature.

Those need to wait until after Ludum Dare is over.

I will be participating in the event during the weekend so this is pretty much the final progress report for this week.

The controls for Gang Screen are online, the cycle stats works and some fixes for some of the arrangement.

As usual, gif to show demonstrate results

Don't ask why two "girls" and one guy share the same name. Please don't

I also decide to cap units at 30 for the overworld balance purpose as I realize too many units in the player gang makes assignments seem trivial and not strategic as I hoped since the player can spare so many units if I stick with 100 as the unit cap.

With the highest amount of unit the player can field into a battle is 12 (only at the last chapters and on special battles), 30 seems to be a nice number to ensure strategic planning is required in the overworld instead of mindless clicking.

I also probably need to set a reasonable price for new recruits to avoid padding but still allow the players to recruit fresh troops to supplement their tactics.

One of the idea is to go with exponential pricing where the more you recruit, the more each new member cost you.

Opinions regarding the unit cap are welcomed.

• Alright new week, new progress

Too bad, ludum dare didn't turn out well for me as I have personal problems that occur during that time that forced me to drop out to handle the situation.

Oh well, there always will be the next ludum dare, after all.

Today progress is that I finally finish all of the gang screen features. All the sorting mechanism from manual to criteria sorting works.

Also the class list features that is in TO:LUCT is delegated into DJ Avery News section as that feature is more about class info and less about how many of each class that you have, at least from the experience of people that I known of.

Also, I finished linking all the stats tables together to create function that is capable of churning out random gangsters for the player based on stereotype, race and gender.

Make everything going forward easier as I no longer have to depend on cheap templates to serves as test subjects for my coding.

As usual, gif to show progress

Roger don't understand why an evil entity called "~Developer-kun~" ask him to check and sort an enemy gang that going to kick his arse into orbit in a short while

Moving on to the Battlefield Placement UI, the UI where you arrange your troops for the battlefield.

• Small progress today

I blame it on catching up on Jojo's Bizarre Adventures instead of doing game development properly.

Nonetheless, I finish half of the Battlefield Preparation UI, specifically the Unit Selection portion

Probably finish the UI by the tomorrow or the day after.

As usual, gif to show progress

• Progress report for the last two day

I finish the battlefield placement/deployment UI.

The features are pretty much highly inspired from Tactics Ogre: Let's Us Cling Together version.

After all, I don't think you can improve much on the perfection for their version.

Well, at least, I can't.

As usual, gifs to show progress

The first one show how characters are deploy using the UI

Knowing ~Developer-kun~ , Juan David don't know if he should feel sad or happy that he is left out of the battle party

The second show what the buttons on the left side do

Going to take some time to do some small cosmetic change and re-factoring before moving on to the meat of my game, the tactical battles, which I am specialized at.

• the graphic style and the mechanics of the game are very good, I can't wait to play!

• the graphic style and the mechanics of the game are very good, I can't wait to play!

Thanks for your compliment! I will try my best not to disappoint !

Also just finish my small cosmetic changes and refactoring to stabilize some codes that went awry when using Debug Layout function on Construct 2.

It still awry during debug mode but I at least confirm that it won't effect web and node-webkit release version by exporting it and then using an automated key logger testing system which run the it over and over again to see if the error that occurred only during Debug Layout happen or not.

After 100 runs, apparently it didn't.

So it won't be a issue.

Going to move on to doing the battlefield.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)