First Game: "Ronnie the Roadie" (Proof of Concept)

0 favourites
  • 13 posts
From the Asset Store
five golem elements Sprites Sheet.Best for enemy or villain game characters.
  • Hello, everyone!

I wanted to get some opinions of my first attempt at a game with Construct 2. It's a proof-of-concept that I wanted to make as a starter template for a couple of game ideas I want to put together in the future. I'd love to know what browser you used and what you thought of the basic playability.

In the future, I plan to have *REAL* graphics for the games I build off of this idea (Did anybody notice that the bouncers are a Webding?). They'd also have sound effects, multiple levels, and end celebrations that included music.

Thanks in advance to anybody who's willing to check this out.

scirra.com/arcade/example/14693/ronnie-the-roadie

• The idea is original, good luck with this game

• The idea is original, good luck with this game

Thank you, and thanks so much for taking a look!

• Would make for a great Spy vs Spy type game!

• Would make for a great Spy vs Spy type game!

Wow. You just took me back a few decades. I remember playing Spy vs Spy on the Commodore 64 many years ago.

Ugh, when did I become so old?

• We're not old mate, we're fossils... I'm not exactly sure why but that sounded comforting in my head...

Anyway, for a template and a first try your game looks pretty good, and since it's a simply style/concept it's pretty easy to expand. You could have the player go to another part of the level if he leaves the screen, you could have sub-levels behind some of those doors that tie in to the main level, maybe add some elevators that transport you around more easily then the stairs but they olso attract the guards when you use them, etc.

• We're not old mate, we're fossils... I'm not exactly sure why but that sounded comforting in my head...

Anyway, for a template and a first try your game looks pretty good, and since it's a simply style/concept it's pretty easy to expand. You could have the player go to another part of the level if he leaves the screen, you could have sub-levels behind some of those doors that tie in to the main level, maybe add some elevators that transport you around more easily then the stairs but they olso attract the guards when you use them, etc.

LOL. Fossils, eh? Well, we can salvage some more comfort and recall that fossils can contain some interesting information.

I have several ideas for where to go with the game's core mechanic. One of my future mini projects is to figure out how to get the doors to randomly house one of the items when the level loads so you're guaranteed to play a different version of the game (given permutation limits, of course). The elevator idea never occurred to me, but I think one of my game ideas could use that. Nice!

Thanks for the review and the suggestions!

• I've never played Spy vs Spy but it reminds me of Mappy for NES. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mappy

• I've never played Spy vs Spy but it reminds me of Mappy for NES. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mappy

Ha! I can see why!

This idea was heavily influenced by a few games from the 80s. There was one that I've been trying to remember the name of where you were building the components to a machine that would spit beach balls at a monster that was chasing your girlfriend. If you didn't get him in time, he ate her. (Yeesh!)

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • One of my future mini projects is to figure out how to get the doors to randomly house one of the items when the level loads so you're guaranteed to play a different version of the game (given permutation limits, of course).

While I'm sure my idea is way far from being the best and most optimal one, but the way I'd do it would be to assign each object a global variable in the first layout(usually the menu screen. ObjectBottle=var 1, ObjectPowerup3=2....ObjectHorse=100. Then in the actual game I'd have an event, whenever the player opens a door pick a random variable between 1 and 100 and spawn the object that corresponds to that variable.

But like I said I'm a newb, I'm sure more experienced users can give you better and more complex solutions, probably using arrays and dictionaries(things which I totaly don't understand at the moment).

• While I'm sure my idea is way far from being the best and most optimal one

But like I said I'm a newb, I'm sure more experienced users can give you better and more complex solutions, probably using arrays and dictionaries(things which I totaly don't understand at the moment).

Don't sell yourself short. That's a clever idea. The concept won't quite work for the game mechanic I am shooting for, but I like the logic behind it.

As for arrays & dictionaries, PM me if the tutorials don't help you out. I'd be glad to discuss what I know of them. Arrays might help build on that concept you suggested.

Thanks for taking the time to share and give input. I appreciate it!

• You're welcome mate, good luck with your game. I will keep you in mind when I hit a bump with those.

• Ha! I didn't know about the free sound files zip pack available via Scirra. I just added a couple of them to the game as well as a sound effect I found via SoundBible.com. It's amazing how a few sounds here and there can affect a game. I couldn't stop giggling at the effect when bouncers collide with the player. The celebration music (courtesy of Matt Oglseby) made the end a bit more atmospheric.

If anybody knows Matt, please thank him for me

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)