Eternal Nights [WIP]

0 favourites
  • Hi developers and enthusiast,

I'm very excited to share my first game with you all and welcome any feedback on the current build of the game.

Thank you!

[Updated 05/02/2015]

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/767 ... index.html

• Your link doesn't seem to be working.

• Your link doesn't seem to be working.

Apparently, Dropbox is down atm.

• It's working again.

• Congrats on your first game, man!

I find it very hard to get into. The game is not very responsive, everything comes with a delay (like, for instance, when you press space, it takes almost 1-2 seconds until the character reacts). Also, you could maybe make the overall menu handling a little easier. Don't let players go out there without a weapon, it's dangerous out there! And save the setup so players don't have to re-setup it over and over.

I never got further than killing one zombie and I was frustrated since I went out there without even a stick multiple times. But I see where you are going with the design, I think it has quite a potential. Keep it up!

• Congrats on your first game, man!

I find it very hard to get into. The game is not very responsive, everything comes with a delay (like, for instance, when you press space, it takes almost 1-2 seconds until the character reacts). Also, you could maybe make the overall menu handling a little easier. Don't let players go out there without a weapon, it's dangerous out there! And save the setup so players don't have to re-setup it over and over.

I never got further than killing one zombie and I was frustrated since I went out there without even a stick multiple times. But I see where you are going with the design, I think it has quite a potential. Keep it up!

Thank you for your feedback. I'll make the changes you suggested.

• Great start to things but +1 what dhoeke says. Can't wait to see where you take this.

• Great start to things but +1 what dhoeke says. Can't wait to see where you take this.

Thank you PhoenixNightly! Sorry for sounding naive but how do I +1?

Also, what kind of frame rate are you guys getting when playing the game?

• NP +1 just mean I agree with what Dhoeke stated . Well for me I think now just IMO use the keyboard for movement and the mouse clicks for attack and block like left for attack right button for block. Because I get a bit finger tied if I want to attack and back up at the same time or block. Don't seem like the most conventional controls. That is what killed me from playing certain games when they strayed from the norm. Usually shift would be used for running. But that is just my opinion it easier for the user to play if it uses something they already learned. Maybe a pause screen so that they can see the controls whenever they need to.

Did you change something since I last played??

• Looks really cool, runs fine on my pc. Impressive weapon system too. The enemy AI is well done with nice path finding, I couldn't attack properly though. I think the next thing to focus on would be the attacks, less delay with a bigger hit box on the enemies maybe? Look forward to what you do with this, its very promising.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • It looks like you've put a lot of time into this. Adding gamepad controls would help a lot.

• Awesome. Thanx guys. +1 to all of you.

I designed the game with just keyboard in mind, considering laptop users that might not want to plug their mouse in. Instead, I'll add the ability for user to choose keyboard, mouse/keyboard or gamepad on my next build.

I'll also look into the attack issue as well. I've had other testers say the same thing.

I did forget to update the control screen but there is "Shift" for running and when you press "B" it will pause the screen and show you stats. I'll make sure it's clearer.

NP +1 just mean I agree with what Dhoeke stated . Well for me I think now just IMO use the keyboard for movement and the mouse clicks for attack and block like left for attack right button for block. Because I get a bit finger tied if I want to attack and back up at the same time or block. Don't seem like the most conventional controls. That is what killed me from playing certain games when they strayed from the norm. Usually shift would be used for running. But that is just my opinion it easier for the user to play if it uses something they already learned. Maybe a pause screen so that they can see the controls whenever they need to.

Did you change something since I last played??

Yes, I did change something. I did a quick fix to the loadout screen, where when the user died and came back to the screen everything would be unequiped. I also fixed a little bug with the AI strength incrementing exponentially, ignoring the armor you choose.

• Honestly to save some time you shouldn't really have to do all that for controls. You can just have it automatically detect the input.

So lets say they hit space or they hit the left click or the gamepad A Button since they will do the same thing just make a 'OR' statement in the condition.

if SPACEBAR or MOUSE LEFT or GAMEPAD A Button DO THIS.

Just a thought but you don't have to do it that way if you don't want to. Saves them from having to tell the game which one. The easier to get right into game the better. All they need to know is the control.

Any other way would just add unnecessary work and redundancy in your event sheet.

EXAMPLE

if SPACEBAR or MOUSE LEFT or GAMEPAD A Button -- PLAYER ATTACK.

VS

if CONTROL is KEYBOARD
             Iif SPACEBAR -- PLAYER ATTACK
    if CONTROL is KEYBOARD/MOUSE
             if MOUSELEFT CLICK -- PLAYER ATTACK
    if CONTROL is GAMEPAD
             if GAMEPAD A --PLAYER ATTACK[/code:286z3r4w]
  • Honestly to save some time you shouldn't really have to do all that for controls. You can just have it automatically detect the input.

So lets say they hit space or they hit the left click or the gamepad A Button since they will do the same thing just make a 'OR' statement in the condition.

if SPACEBAR or MOUSE LEFT or GAMEPAD A Button DO THIS.

Just a thought but you don't have to do it that way if you don't want to. Saves them from having to tell the game which one. The easier to get right into game the better. All they need to know is the control.

Any other way would just add unnecessary work and redundancy in your event sheet.

EXAMPLE

> if SPACEBAR or MOUSE LEFT or GAMEPAD A Button -- PLAYER ATTACK.

VS

if CONTROL is KEYBOARD
             Iif SPACEBAR -- PLAYER ATTACK
    if CONTROL is KEYBOARD/MOUSE
             if MOUSELEFT CLICK -- PLAYER ATTACK
    if CONTROL is GAMEPAD
             if GAMEPAD A --PLAYER ATTACK[/code:3tkfbrh4]

Unfortunately, the movement configurations i used for the keyboard won't work with mouse but most of what you said works. Like for attacks.. I've completed the implementation of the mouse already. I'm still testing it though. Appreciate your input.

• Oh no I wasn't referring to the movements be included with the mouse just things like attacking or actions. Cause I saw you said have a option for pure keyboard play or mouse/keyboard play you can negate that by just including with the space bar an OR for left mouse click since the mouse left click suppose to do the same as if the space bar was hit. Not everything purely mouse just where it would fit.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)