Dudeman the QARPY Muppet

0 favourites
  • I've now extended my new save and load routine to generate random gender specific names for the characters... I like where this is going.

I will start adding a fully complied NWJS download to the main post - since these new features will not work in browser preview version. I will keep the browser upload going for people to see new cosmetic features, but there will be zero data persistence, and I will stop uploading updates once things kick into a higher gear where the data controls will be necessary.

For now, the nameslist will need to be manually copied to a specific folder on your computer if you want to test it out, but I will include some instructions in a text file with the download once I get around to uploading that and making a link.

If anyone else is having issues creating a reliable save and load system for their game (in instances where state-save won't do the job) don't hesitate to PM me and I can supply you with information and a capx file that I'm currently using to generate my names list - since it works with the same load and save method.

~Sol

• Map generation is now working flawlessly... the origin point of the map is considered to be (0,0) with coordinate grid tiles being generated on the fly in both positive and negative directions with no limits. There is also a "fog of war".

I can now start working out how I want to place details on the map tiles and generating some other details like ground-cover type, bodies of water, and of course cities and towns.

You can test the basics of the map generation using the live web build at the usual address...

Use the TAB key to switch between the game screen and the map. Arrow keys will move the map camera. Drag and Drop the yellow circle around the map as your "discovery" range. This yellow circle simulates the player moving around and exploring the map.

~Sol

• Map data now saves using nested dictionaries... dictionaries inside of a master dictionary. It was an interesting thought/concept I had and it works really well.

Next goal is to make it so "dudes" can visit locations on the map, and have those locations save persistence data as well.

Again, saving/loading doesn't work for web preview - downloadable standalone compile coming soon.

~Sol

• Dudes (and dudettes) now have hair styles - and a link to the standalone version (with namelists and README instructions for "installation") now included in the web build.

For now, the game puts data in C:\dudeman - so make sure you delete this folder after testing if you don't want junk files hanging around on your system.

~Sol

• I've now reduced the limb count on each dude to be like "normal" people - two segments per limb. Having loads of segments was fun - but it was causing too much impact on over-all performance (especially with a lot of dudes) so I will now be re-doing how they're animated as well. Currently the old "walk" animation is still there and looks more hilarious than ever.

Please note, the standalone build still has the old arms and legs for now. I will re-upload that later.

~Sol

• Haven't been real happy with the way the limbs move since I changed them, so spent a little bit of time adding in a 2 tier IK chain solver to the limbs (thanks to an old tutorial by Quazi) and not only has it made things 1000x better, it's going to make animation states a LOT less convoluted.

I now have to re-do the animations for the third time - but it's well worth it this time around.

The movement of the limbs and joints is now super cool! I will upload a new web-preview once I have reworked the animations (hopefully later tonight).

~Sol

• Map screen is now integrated with the main layout, so terrain can be generated (and now with multiple generation nodes) while the map isn't even open. Yay!

Updated the standalone version as well from the download link - again this is only for people interested in testing how the saving and loading goes.

I'm adding in the ability to visit different map locations as we speak, choosing a "party" of selected dudes who you want to go there. Map marker placement is in and I'm working on giving that a UI now to add the manifest of party members. Hopefully will have this map enhancement build up in the next day or so.... then the real fun will start... enemies and some weapons

~Sol

• Nice demo sol. I'm curious to see what you are giong to do with the gameplay. What's will be main goal of the game? Exploration-Survival-sim ? Those nekked dudemen & women looks ready to reproduce att any time. Lol

• All of the above tunepunk xD

Open world survival/exploration/building simulation with a future possibility of being able to have heritage. Working on the map portion of things still at the moment... adding in the ability to change locations/explore as well as adding actual places to go rather than empty screens with just the ground in place.

~Sol

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I just came across this, and it almost sounds like I'm making the same game as you.. haha!

Mine doesn't have any naked people, though... yet.

That procedural animation is impressive! I am interested to see where this thing goes.

Anyway, great work! I'm running into a lot of the same problems as you (new layouts at runtime, nested dictionary maps, etc..), so this thread is super helpful!

• I just came across this, and it almost sounds like I'm making the same game as you.. haha!

Mine doesn't have any naked people, though... yet.

That procedural animation is impressive! I am interested to see where this thing goes.

Anyway, great work! I'm running into a lot of the same problems as you (new layouts at runtime, nested dictionary maps, etc..), so this thread is super helpful!

Thanks

If you have any questions feel free to ask. I'm not sure if this project will continue or not at this stage, since I've gotten very busy with work again - and also have some other ideas to prototype. I'll be happy to help where possible if you run into any issues.

~Sol

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)