[closed] Umbra... Now available on Steam

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Vintage steam pixels for your UI! 125 unique assets in a single pack!
  • It's quite normal, after a few days the natural greenlight traffic is very low.

It's now up to you to drive it home, anywhere in the top 300 list can have a chance of being lit, from what I've tracked for the past few months.

Use this site as a guideline: http://greendb.iygamestudio.com/greenlight/

• Thanks - that's good advice!

• So, I posted the game on NG for a couple of days over the weekend, to get feeedback from a different user-base and also to generate some awareness of the Greenlight page... I took it down earlier today because most people were struggling to figure out the puzzles and/or having problems with the controls (NG iframe...?). Anyway, when (lazily) searching for my own youtube video I found this: Youtube Playthrough1 of Umbra!

This was unexpected!

• was checking out GreenDB.. I was surprised to see how all the games on there have so many thumbs down.... It's strange to think people are voting games down... like why do Steam users care what games get greenlit? I understand there's a certain standard that Steam needs to maintain.. but why are users voting stuff down? To me a typical user experience should be: a greenlight project comes across your feed.. you watch the trailer.. if it looks good check out some of the comments, then thumbs up.. if it looks bad, move on.. but I guess that thumbs down button is just too tempting! it's kinda funny... just surprised to see the top game on there with 6k up votes and almost 5k down votes!

• jobel

I often wondered the same. Voting it down wont change the mind of someone who does like the look of it, especially where they are both basing their judgement on the same video or demo.

• jobel, spongehammer - yes, and since the down vote makes no difference to top 100 position for the game, it can only be to pretend to empower people who vote. There was one comment that I deleted for swearing and the troll came back and commented again that he hadn't voted before but now he was certainly voting no. I think most don't realise that it makes no difference.... Unless greenlight have suckered the devs and actually it does matter... Lol.

• Yes. The no votes don't count. Sorry to all of the trolls out there. LOL.

• big Infinity - thanks for clarifying! I'm glad I'm not losing my mind (all of it, at least)....

• Greenlight is simply a question for each user. Would you buy this game? If no then you should click no. No matter the potential of the game. Steam wants to know if YOU want it. So if you don't vote the game will keep popping up in your feed. So you either have to vote yes or no to make it go away.

That is why downvotes doesn't matter on greenlight. Because it doesn't mean something bad. It just means that this person wouldn't buy the game. So if a game have 100 000 no votes and 10 000 yes votes the game will be greenlit because steam expects that 10 000 would buy the game. (I know that the ones who end up buying it would be far far less )

Anyway. That is how greenlight is meant to work but people are obviously not using it seriously all the time

Colludium I can gurantee that the game will be greenlit. The only question is when. So when your game only gets about 10 visitors a day you'll have to promote it to drive the traffic back so you'll get the last votes needed Good luck!

• Anonnymitet makes sense.. so maybe it's probably more akin to Amazon suggested purchases?.. Steam probably wants to know what type of games you like??

• There was one comment that I deleted for swearing and the troll came back and commented again that he hadn't voted before but now he was certainly voting no.

haha I saw that.. people are so funny.. with their little power trips... haha "I'll show you!"

• jobel Yes, almost. All steam wants to know is if there are enough players who would buy the game. So the ratio is totally unimportant. So a thumbs down is a bad symbol here. It should be something else because a game can be very well made but just not for you

• Thank you Anonnymitet - that's a good explanation of what the voting is for on Greenlight (I had not considered that 'no' is to stop feed popups). It's fascinating how some people react in public forums....

Promotion is something I am rather amateur at.... I am having to learn even the basics!

Cheers!

• jobel

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Greenlight is simply a question for each user. Would you buy this game? If no then you should click no. No matter the potential of the game. Steam wants to know if YOU want it. So if you don't vote the game will keep popping up in your feed. So you either have to vote yes or no to make it go away.

That is why downvotes doesn't matter on greenlight. Because it doesn't mean something bad. It just means that this person wouldn't buy the game. So if a game have 100 000 no votes and 10 000 yes votes the game will be greenlit because steam expects that 10 000 would buy the game. (I know that the ones who end up buying it would be far far less )

Anyway. That is how greenlight is meant to work but people are obviously not using it seriously all the time

In spirit that's how its supposed to work, but if you track games on Greenlight, a lot of NO votes = never get greenlit. There seems to be some kind of threshold where Valve curators flag the game to not pass, so it can stay there for years.

If you look at the database site I posted the URL to in the earlier post, you see some games in the top 300 that have been there for ages, they have enough yes votes to be on top of most games, but they have a ton of no votes and so they just remain there.

It is very rare for a game with <30% yes/no ratio to be lit, in fact for the past few months I haven't seen a single lit game with a poor yes/no ratio.

There's the theory from greenlight devs, when you submit the game:

There's a chance a Valve curator sees it, likes it, and it gets in the queue to be lit regardless of votes. This has happened for a few games in the past months.

Other games have to get enough yes votes to make it to the top 300. Once in there, the curators take their time to go over each submission and judge whether it passes or not. Obviously in the top 50 gives your game priority to be examined, but they do get around to the others outside the top 100-300.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)