Classic Asteroids Clone (This one is actually pretty good)

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
From the Asset Store
Asteroids Game Pack contains environment elements, vehicles and a background to create an arcade asteroid space game
  • This is my first game effort of the original Atari Asteroids.

Though there are loads of asteroids clones none seem to capture the SPIRIT of the original!

I have made the game as close to the original as I can and it should work in IE, Chrome, Firefox (Though on some systems it does not seem to work correctly in Firefox) and Safari. Also on IOS and Android for phone and tablet using touch controls.

Took around a week to do the biggest challenges being the sound (especially on ios) and finding a good control scheme for phone and Tablet.

Constructive comments welcome as well as info on what browsers it works on or not as the case may be.

http://home.matrixdigital.co.uk/asteroids

PS To get ios devices to play the sound I had to remove the .m4a caching from the offline.appcache so the audio is streamed instead and will require an internet connection for the audio to work on some systems.

• James Hughes,

you have succeeded grandly sir...a little pixel tear welled up in my eye the first time i died...lol.

• Thank you dear chap! Glad to be of Service!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Nice! Loving this so much, You beat me to the remake I'm afraid x.x Well done!

I must say C2 has to be one of the coolest things I've used in a long time

• I have to agree. Makes game coding fun not a chore. Though ios devices cause headaches. especially with sound.

• Really good asteroid game

very faithful to the original

• Which brings me good memories this game.

• Amazingly well done good sir! That clone took me back to playing that game in my aunt's living room when I was a child on the Atari. Very well done.

I did experience one issue and have two requests though.

Issue: During the intermittent music bleeps, I was experiencing a pop when the sound was initiated. This was on Windows 7 with the latest stable version of Chrome. I'll try on other variations later when I have more time to see if the issue continues.

Requests: Can you add controller support quick? Could you also release a Node version so I can download it and put it in with my Steam collection in the Steam app? I'm hyper organized and like to keep my stuff in one place. I would also love to see your clone among my games list. It would be a fun, nice surprise every time I fired up steam.

Edit: I did not experience the sound popping issue on IE11 with the same computer.

• The Audio is a real pain in the ASS. Depending on individual hardware browsers etc the audio is rendered slightly differently. This is unfortunately due to the way browsers process sound. If anyone can guide me to anything that may help Id be grateful. On ios devices the audio wont play at all unless I remove the references to m4a files from the offline.appcache file on the server. unfortunately as this then means the audio is streamed on these devices a internet connection is required and the game cant be run as a web app.

I have also posted a new version which takes the original a bit further with 7 power ups and severely ramping up difficulty. the address of the original is

http://home.matrixdigital.co.uk/asteroids

and the UPDATED GAMEPLAY version

http://home.matrixdigital.co.uk/asteroids2014

Node Version? If you tell me how to do it No problem. I'm happy to add controller support but I don't have one to try. Oh actually can I use a ps4 controller on a usb cable?

PS one last thing Im also working on a copy of SPACE INVADERS. Its very early days at the moment but you can try it here:

http://home.matrixdigital.co.uk/invaders

Controls are Left, Right Arrows and Space. (This is subject to change)

Test Keys are Hold Q to pause invader movement. Makes it easy to shoot out invaders to a pattern of your choice.

The A key resets bases. R resets invaders back to start.

So Far 61 Events Including Test Code

• VR ?

What VR ?

We don't need no stinking VR.

Seriously. Perfect job. Could not be better. Now hoping to donate for offline copy on here someplace.

Arrived here on the very rare whim to see if a Win7/64 version had come out by now.

For the record, am 65 and first had the original running on an 8088 DOS box back in like, well, 1988.

Sound is perfect. Deathrays to all haters.

krkrkrkrkkkrksksksk

Over an out.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)