Buddy Bot (Action Platformer)

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Best for runner games, sidescroller, arcade and more!
  • Hey everyone, just a quick update!

I recently went through Buddy Bot and updated the visuals to be more in line with a late gen SNES title than an early gen Genesis title.

Here are some screenshots:

And lastly I started working on the bonus levels that will unlock if you collect enough Happy Coins after completing the story. They look a little something like this:

Check out one of my earlier posts for a link to the game. Remember to clear your cache!

• Awesome work Icarus!!

Please continue post your progress!

• I just want to say the demo is awesome. Reminds me a lot of punchquest, which I'm sure its self is based on other awesome running games. Great job and great blend of concepts!

• Awesome work Icarus!!

Please continue post your progress!

Thanks NaSTy! I've got some more updates I'm going to post pretty soon... The game is almost ready for release!

I just want to say the demo is awesome. Reminds me a lot of punchquest, which I'm sure its self is based on other awesome running games. Great job and great blend of concepts!

I appreciate the lofty comparison! Punchquest is super fun, and I did reference the game while I was working on Buddy Bot. One of the main things I wanted to do differently than that most runners is include actual levels and worlds that the player progresses through and try to present an interesting story.

• Add in a bunch of upgrades and I don't think it's just a lofty comparison, it's a lofty competitor

• I wish this wasn't a runner, because the whole game is really great and would work so well as a platformed. I really enjoyed it, nice work!

• I wish this wasn't a runner, because the whole game is really great and would work so well as a platformed. I really enjoyed it, nice work!

Hey alvarop! I really appreciate the feedback!

Seeing how the game was designed for iOS, I just wasn't very impressed with the pure platformers on mobile devices. That's why I decided to do a runner with some mechanics are a little more unique to the genre, but also keep the controls simplified.

It's funny though, because I've sort of come around after playing a few great games with tight virtual controls (Mikey Shorts, etc.) so I'm definitely considering full control for my next project.

• As long as its handled well, I think virtual joysticks are the bomb. SquareEnix used them in their FF mobile remakes and I've used it in action games and platformeos as well. It was pretty easy to build one for my own game in C2. Combined with either a second joystick or some virtual buttons and it turns a phone into a game pad.

• Yeah skelooth, I've played the FF games on my iPad and I agree that they did a great job with the virtual controls. Pretty much any game with good virtual controls was something I didn't get a chance to play until well after I started making this game.

I used to be totally against them but I'm honestly pretty excited to try virtual controls out in my next project.

• This looks good, and I should probably give some better feedback, but frankly, you had me at 'Exploding Donuts'.

• This looks good, and I should probably give some better feedback, but frankly, you had me at 'Exploding Donuts'.

Haha! Yeah my advanced Donut Physics Simulator will really blow people away.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Since it's been a little while, I wanted to give a quick update. All 5 worlds, 36 levels including 5 boss fights and 6 bonus levels, are now complete. The dialogue is just about finished, and the cinematic sequences are nearly complete as well.

Since Buddy Bot himself was the first sprite I made for the entire game, I figured it was about the right time to give him a face-lift as well, which you can see in the screenshots below:

I also got around to some other outstanding tasks with regards to cleaning up some messy text that some users have mentioned to me already, specifically in the shop.

I don't think I ever mentioned that Buddy Bot has a shield now that functions Halo style! This helped resolve a few design issues I had. When that blue meter under the Life Points is full that means your shield is active and you'll blow up the next enemy you touch!

It's crazy thinking about finally releasing the game, but that's what's going to happen in the next few weeks.

• Hey everyone, I just wanted to say thanks for your encouraging words and feedback and let you all know that Buddy Bot was finally released on the App Store!

I posted about it in the completed games section here: viewtopic.php?f=148&t=121401

If you'd rather skip to the good stuff, here's a link to the App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/buddy-b ... 79412?mt=8

Plus a link to the launch trailer: http://youtu.be/zimRNy_I0n0

Thanks!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)