Xbox USB D-pad unresponsive at start of layout

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
  • CAPX: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j1xex9zpk1k3p ... ickV1.capx

Select the layout "LO Level 1".

D-pad to move left/right.

A button: jump

X button: throw rock

I'm working on a platformer using the Xbox USB controller. The parameters for the Platform behavior are set to non-default so that the controls are relegated to the controller.

Whenever I start up a layout to test new changes, the vast majority of the time the character in question will not move until after I've pushed one of the button (A/B/X/Y). For the life of me I do not understand why this is or how to remedy it.

Anyone smarter than me have some advice? Thank you, deeply!

• IIRC this is simply the nature of the gamepad object, and by extension Chrome - you need to hit a face button before additional input is recognised.

The easiest workaround is to have a button prompt like "Hit A to start".

Off the top of my head a simulate control action tree for the gamepad object would solve this (You could simulate "A" being pressed on start of layout for example) but I imagine that could cause a myriad of problems (Especially if the user doesn't have a gamepad connected)

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • The easiest workaround is to have a button prompt like "Hit A to start".

That's an excellent idea. I was kinda wondering how I might do something similar to that - even your idea about simulating that the button was pressed at all - but that hits the nail on the head. Thanks.

I'm aware of the lack of gamepad option, too. I'll double-check if C2 has a "check for gamepad" option and take it from there. I'll surely make the keyboard usable.

Thanks!

• No problem

The gamepad object does indeed have several events that check for gamepads ("has", "on connected" and "are supported") but to my knowledge still require a button to be pressed (Y)

• The gamepad object does indeed have several events that check for gamepads ("has", "on connected" and "are supported") but to my knowledge still require a button to be pressed (Y)

Hmm...aw well. Your "press A to start" idea still blows this problem out of the water. I'm satisfied.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)