Why does adding to the Y axis make something move down?

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
Move Block
$10 USD
Captivating puzzle game. With challenging gameplay, this game will keep you very engaged.
  • Heya,

This is probably a silly question. But here goes anyway, if the Y axis goes from negative (down) to positive (up), why does setting an object's Y position to "Object Y position + 1000" (for example) make it go down the screen? I kind of imagined adding to the Y value would make it a more positive number and therefore it would move up...

Cheers!

• In 2D screen coordinates, the Y-axis generally increases as you go down the screen. This is the case for C2 and many other programs involving computer graphics.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Ok, thanks for the response. So just to clarify, they decided to do the opposite to maths? Seems a little odd...

• Ok, thanks for the response. So just to clarify, they decided to do the opposite to maths? Seems a little odd...

That has a historical reason, I think. The electron beam in a CRT starts in the upper left corner and ends in the bottom right corner. The early Homecomputer uses this coordinate system because it resemble how the electron beam moves.

• That has a historical reason, I think. The electron beam in a CRT starts in the upper left corner and ends in the bottom right corner. The early Homecomputer uses this coordinate system because it resemble how the electron beam moves.

Ahh that's interesting to know. Thank you.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)