What do people do for typing in a character name?

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
Change delay, create new lines, "backspace" the text
  • I'm imagining having to type code to catch all the letters of the alphabet, plus space...it all seems a little clumsy to implement for the novelty of naming a character in a game. What method do you guys use - is there an easier way?

• Which way are you trying to name a character? I suppose you are talking about spritefonts? Or custom keyboard or smth?

Sorry I don't really understand, maybe I'm too asleep....

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Why can't you just use an ordinary text box?

If you want to make a nicer looking box to type in, just put the actual textbox off-screen and force set-focus to the textbox when you want the player to type in the name. Then create a nicer looking box on the screen for players to see - but it doesn't really do the hard work.

You can reflect whatever is in the textbox just using some sprite fonts or whatever for your "visible to the player" version of the textbox.

I hope this makes sense?

~Sol

• Why can't you just use an ordinary text box?

Because I didn't know about them :p

Thanks for the info, I'll have a look. Though I've looked a bit now and I'm not sure how to register when the information has been entered? Separate keypress check for enter?

• Detecting 'enter' when using a TextBox :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ysizu9kjsu47 ... .capx?dl=0

• > Why can't you just use an ordinary text box?

>

Because I didn't know about them :p

Thanks for the info, I'll have a look. Though I've looked a bit now and I'm not sure how to register when the information has been entered? Separate keypress check for enter?

Oh! hahaha - I don't know I just figured most people had encountered a text box lmao. I thought you must have had some other reason to NOT want to use it! xD

~Sol

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)